So I'm about to buy an Epiphone Explorer, and I want to switch out the pickups. So after much research of Seymour Duncan pups, I've narrowed it down to 2 possible configurations:

1. SH-6 Distortion Pickup (Bridge)
SH-2N Jazz Model Pickup (Neck)

2. SH-4 JB Pickup (Bridge)
SH-6 Distortion Pickup (Neck)

I mostly play metal (Judas Priest, Faith No More) a lot of which is drop-tuned (System Of A Down, Tool) so having a guitar that can handle low tones and dropped tunings is very important to me. I play a lot of Classic Rock as well (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath). However I also want my guitar to sound clear, un-muddy, and warm when it’s clean.

If you guys could give me any advice on what you think would be the best configuration of pups for my new guitar it would be extremely appreciated.
Last edited by esy191 at Jul 4, 2007,
Definitely number 1.

The JB is thin and trebly. I don't like it.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
what do you play?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
what do you play?

What guitar? or What type of music?

Both of those questions are answered in my first post.
oh osrry. when i read it at first it was different. you must have edited it. id go with a jb in the bdridge and a jazz or 59 in the neck
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
None of the above....

Duncan Custom in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. Distortion is too high output for the rock stuff and too trebly, and it's an atrocious choice for the neck in your case. 59 is a more soulful neck pickup, the Jazz can be a little sterile and it's certainly not the best for woman tone which you'll be wamting for some of the classic stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Distortion is too high output for the rock stuff and too trebly, and it's an atrocious choice for the neck in your case.

I am looking fora high output pickup though. I use LOADS of distortion when playing thrash metal stuff and what not, so I do need a pup that can handle the load. Do you think the Custom and the 59 bear well under heavy distortion?
If you USE loads of distortion then you don't need loads coming from your pickup, see? I think it's the bloke out of Lamb of God that use 59's and he gets by fine. If you use a Distortion in the neck you will not get clean tones out of it, period....and it's not versatile enough for what you want from the bridge. The Custom is still a high-output pickup but remember, you get your distortion from your amp and pedals, not your pickups....don't get all excited just because of the name.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Do you guys think a JB would handle drop tunings well?

I'm now trying to decide between a JB in the bridge and a Custom in the bridge (I've settled on a Jazz in the neck).

Do you think the Custom is versatile enough for classic rock?
Dimarzio Drop Sonic - Good for drop tuning
Duncan JB - Decent, not the best
SH-2 - Best neck pickup for warm and hardcore solos especially with my steve vai wah
Sh-6 - Do the bridge only man, i dont know about it in the neck but i know in the bridge it's awesome
I dont know anything about SH-5 Custom