Well I have recently pick up my first guitar and started playing, but I don't know where to start. All I can play are the songs which need to be played one note at a time, and usallay I play only the intro. So my question is where do I start. Should I just keep doing what I have been doing or should I get lessons ( I want to be self taught). Also should in your opinion what is easier to lear. Chords or One note at a time (Whatever thats called). And where did you start?
Learn the chords to the song you can only play the intro to. It'll help to remember chords for future references if you just learn songs. Songs are usually an easy way to learn everything, cause some songs a lot of songs will have different techniques which you can pick up when you're ready.

Scales should be around the top of that list aswell, so that you can learn what the notes sound like and their relationship with eachother so you may improvnise in the near future for jamming etc etc
one thing that helped me starting out was the intro to "stairway to heaven". the intro to that song was good practice for chord changes and single note patterns(for me anyway). try that or similar songs and practice until you can play it smoothly. find a song just outside your playing ability and work on it. doesn't really matter what genre it is(maybe not shred).
guitars: G&L Legacy USA, Peavey Rotor EXP, Squier affinity strat.

amps: Peavey Bandit 112

Effects: DF-7 distortion factory, Crybaby wah(gcb-95)
you know, i don't mean to be rude (most of the time) but people like you shouldn't pick up a guitar...if you just play to get girls - **** off, seriously, we don't need you here
me and numerous other people that call themselves guitarists play because of the love for the instrument, the music, the passion, jimi hendrix, and all that
if you play to get girls all that gets lost....

i hope you fail...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
you know, i don't mean to be rude (most of the time) but people like you shouldn't pick up a guitar...if you just play to get girls - **** off, seriously, we don't need you here
me and numerous other people that call themselves guitarists play because of the love for the instrument, the music, the passion, jimi hendrix, and all that
if you play to get girls all that gets lost....

i hope you fail...

^ I agree 100%!!! I am a super newb of newbs, and I totally suck right now, because I just started playing, but one thing is for sure : I play for pure PASSION and the sheer love of music. Not for fame, girls or popularity. I think people who do ANYTHING for those reasons are fakers to the extreme. Sorry to sound harsh, but music isn't a joke!!
^ Right on guys. It's about the music and the music ONLY. People, especially beginners and famous guitarists forget that.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Iplaytogetgirls, I hope to god that you either are joking, or are going to change your ways, cause if you dont, you are going to be eaten alive here ate UG!
And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
you guys are so harsh.... very true but harsh none the less.... as for the girl slayer.... internet videos are a great place for a beginner... youtube is great.... good luck
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Quote by guitarplayer94
Iplaytogetgirls, I hope to god that you either are joking, or are going to change your ways, cause if you dont, you are going to be eaten alive here ate UG!

Ha...ah...Oh god how bad is going to get...
Quote by Iplaytogetgirls
Ha...ah...Oh god how bad is going to get...
Very.

Lay off him guys. I play mostly just for the love of playing and so forth, but I won't deny the extra female attention you get is nice - and I can't imagine the rest of y'all are too upset about that either.
Hell, rock god Lemmy only ever picked up a guitar in the first place so he'd get more attention from girls; and that kind of thing has been a staple of blues, rock and metal songs for decades now.
Give the kid a break; you never know, he could turn out to be a Hendrix in the making if you don't all put him off it.

Anyway.

You're probably best learning some basic chords, and just getting those down well. Particularly, you'll want to learn most of the basic major chords (G, D, C are most common; A, E and F you should also learn too), and a few minor chords too (Em, Am and Dm are the ones you'll be most likely to want to use early on). Just practise the shapes, focus on accuracy over speed, make sure you get each note of the chord ringing out perfectly, then move onto the next one.

Then, try learning a few songs that mostly just use basic chord shapes, rather than any individual fingering. The first song I studied was the Guns N' Roses song Don't Cry, since basically the entire song is played just by switching through different, basic chord shapes, with very little separate fingering needed. There's many other songs just like that - there are several threads here you should check out that list good songs for beginners to work on (remember to use the forum's search feature!), and of course there's all the tabs on the main site.

After that, it'll probably be a good idea for you to practise simple riffs (again, there's lots of threads covering songs that are good for this), and get used to things like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, and other basic techniques (but don't try sweep picking and shredding just yet ). Powerchords may also be something worth practising now, depending on the type of thing you want to be able to play.

If you just practise these simple things, and get them down well, it will make more advanced learning a lot easier. It will probably be a few months until you're able to move onto better things, but in the long run you're better off getting these basic fundamentals down properly as soon as possible, rather than put them off until later.
Last edited by bokuho at Jul 5, 2007,
If he wants to play for girls, then let im. What the ****s your problem.
Learn Chords, Scales, Power Chords, and anything you can get your hands on. But yeah just for your Username **** you.

Yes I know my user name is a Green Day song. No I do not like them any more. **** you if you think different
Quote by Coins
If he wants to play for girls, then let im. What the ****s your problem.

Because to alot of us guitar is a passion, just the thrill of learning a new song, or making a new rif fis enough to play guitar. But people that usaly that play for girls mostly just learn whats on the Billboard top 40 and play it to girls. Or they put very basic chords together and put cliche' lyrics over them and make a girl like them, then **** them in a very uncomfortable place, like the back of a station wagon. (If you get the movie quote in that last bit you get cookies)

But yeah thats mostly why

Sorry for the double post btw.
I don't play to get the girls.

Hi SnoDog, how is the practicing going for you?

and to the OP, I've only been playing for a little over two weeks and I started out learning basic notes on the fretboard. I can play a few very basic songs (and just knocked out Danny Boy earlier today). I wouldn't even know where to begin if I just tried to jump right into a full out song with chords and riffs and all that. I have discovered it's very important to know the basics. Sort of like learning the ABC's before you learn to read.
well i play for the love of music.
granted i have learned some popular songs.
those i use for entertainment, and they have taught me different pick patterns.

but for about 99.99% of why i play is because of the passion of music
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Quote by HollyW07
I don't play to get the girls.

Hi SnoDog, how is the practicing going for you?

and to the OP, I've only been playing for a little over two weeks and I started out learning basic notes on the fretboard. I can play a few very basic songs (and just knocked out Danny Boy earlier today). I wouldn't even know where to begin if I just tried to jump right into a full out song with chords and riffs and all that. I have discovered it's very important to know the basics. Sort of like learning the ABC's before you learn to read.

Hey Holly, my practicing's been going great! I'm taking on Barre Chords right now and starting on some basic power chords as well. It's so hot here right now though, it's like 80 degrees at night! Trying to play my guitar in my room at like 90 degrees is not that great. 8( I'm sure Texas is probably hotter! How's your playing coming along?
You know what? It's a ****ing username. If he wants to play to get girls, it's HIS ****ing perogative. Who the hell are you to judge?
Quote by st.jimmy4091680
Or they put very basic chords together and put cliche' lyrics over them and make a girl like them, then **** them in a very uncomfortable place, like the back of a station wagon. (If you get the movie quote in that last bit you get cookies)

The line is "The back of a Volkswagen" from Mallrats.

As for playing to get girls, well, I don't really care about all of that. If that's what it takes for him to get them, then so be it. It has no effect on me, my life, or my advancement in skill of playing guitar for myself...or anybody else's for that matter.
Quote by SnoDog
Hey Holly, my practicing's been going great! I'm taking on Barre Chords right now and starting on some basic power chords as well. It's so hot here right now though, it's like 80 degrees at night! Trying to play my guitar in my room at like 90 degrees is not that great. 8( I'm sure Texas is probably hotter! How's your playing coming along?

not to hijack the thread or anything....

It's good to hear your learning is going well. I haven't started with barre chords yet. I'm still learning the basic notes of the fret board. I want to get those down before I move on to more complex things. I learned F# and Bb yesterday and boy was it a stretch for my pinky to reach F# on the fourth fret. I'll have to work on that.

It's hot here but we've had rain almost every day for about the past 2 months, so it's very muggy and humid, and there's been alot of flooding. I think the storms help keep the temperature down heat-wise. We haven't had many days in the 90's but because it's so humid, it feels hotter. Where are you from if I may ask? Also, maybe you should pm your reply. Wouldn't wanna get in trouble.