i've only had this guitar a short time (6 months or so) and i only just played the 7th fret on the g-string and found that it produces nothing but a cracking sound,

... help? =/
Could be because of your action or because of the fret after the one you are playing (the string may be touching it and rattle against it) my suggestion would be to bring it in and get a professional to look at it. Because it may need fret work. What kind of guitar is it?
the action on your neck is too low. I Funny thing, i playeda guitar with the same problem last night. you can play chords with it, but the string is pressing down on the frets higher up
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
well it sounds fine on every other fret but that one,

it's a magnum MBT220 - BK

cost about $300+.
have you tried new strings ??
If it is one of the wound strings you may have worn through the wound 'outer' it will make a noise similar to what you are saying.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It is possible the 8th fret isn't seated correctly and needs a couple taps with a wooden mallet or brass hammar. It's also possible your 8th fret is just a little taller than the rest and needs ground down, but the safest place to start would be to loosen the truss rod by 1/4 turn. Let the guitar settle for a day or so (play it as much as you can during that day because the vibrations help things slide into place) and then check for more buzzing. If it still buzzes loosen it another half turn. If that doesn't fix it then the truss rod was right to begin with and you can tighten it back up the way it was before you started tinkering. It also means you will either have to risk taking a hammer or file to your guitar, or you will have to pay somebody a couple bucks to do it for you.
Not taking any online orders.
^So its a classical guitar? Now im confused, im having trouble imagining this cracking sound with nylon strings.
^It should have a truss rod then. Remember, truss rods (depending on make and model) can be accessed via either end of the neck. If you cant see the hex key socket in the soundhole, look up at the headstock for a piece of plastic or something which may be hiding it. If you still cant find it, its probly in the soundhole but really hard to see, get a small mirror and look way up in there for it.
Last edited by tom183 at Jul 6, 2007,
i'm guessing it's going to be in the soundhole then...

i might be taking it back into the store where i bought it from to complain soon so i'll see how that works out =]
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
yeah thanks i found it =]

i'd much rather take it into the shop rather than trust myself with screwing it up =/
Ok Just an Update;

I took the guitar into the shop where I bought it from and the problem appeared to have something to do with the truss rod so thanks Dix Fix, however we're leaving it there overnight because he said he had to perform a few more tune-ups,

=/
cool let us know how it goes
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!