Okay, take 2 countries, let's say Germany and France. They both speak different languages, and the reason they speak different languages, is because early on in the cycle of settling their personal land, they lived in different territories, and didn't talk to each other, therefore couldn't share the ideas of what certain words represented.

Then how come, both countries use the same type of alphabet? Does this mean that at some point along the line, the 2 had to come together, and instead of agreeing to SPEAKING the same, they just decided to write the same, instead?

That just never made sense for me, any explanations here? Thanks.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
The alphabet we use has been adopted by many languages because those languages were built off of it, many many years ago. Kinda like how most languages use arabic numerals, it's an efficient system, so why not borrow it instead of reinventing.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
people spoke a long time before people wrote
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
came from the romans i believe and the numerals from arabic, latin has affected a lot, all the romance languages, geman as well, though most german words were influenced by the visigoths (i believe)
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by Marrklarr
those languages didnt grow separately at all...

Elaborate.
Charles Bukowski
In those early times nobody read or wrote except the monks. the Roman catholic church was the center for all western education. Universities were staffed by monks and clerics. Clerks were all church trained therefor the Latin alphabet was used no matter what the country. As people became more educated the alphabet in use was kept.
Quote by BreakingBnj
Elaborate.

although french is a romance language (grew from latin, ect) it has a lot of influence of the germanic languages...

its not like there was always a set border between the two countries, or any European countries for that matter, there was a huge amount of interaction, and therefore language trading.

they sound like really different languages, but once you study them closely youd be surprised how similar they are.
Quote by Marrklarr
although french is a romance language (grew from latin, ect) it has a lot of influence of the germanic languages...

its not like there was always a set border between the two countries, or any European countries for that matter, there was a huge amount of interaction, and therefore language trading.

they sound like really different languages, but once you study them closely youd be surprised how similar they are.

Ah, alright I see, cool. Thanks dude.
Charles Bukowski
I know that some professor did a study showing that 90% of the world's languages start with something like an "A" in English, and he went on to state that this is because the sound reminds us of comforting things. Think about it, what kind of sound do you make when you are full or had a nice bj or anything of that sort? probablly something like "ahhhh"
Dart of the Dragoons Pm big_deth to join
Quote by .arkness:.
Aw no-one saw my response lol

Get an avatar d00d. The chicks will be all over you, reading your posts and ****.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Weren't many Western languages derived from the Germanic languages?

I'm not saying French had as much influence, but I know English, for one, has very strong roots in the Germanic languages.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20