I've been wondering about a few things that are busking-oriented.

1)Playing outside a coffee shop in a downtown area, how much would you expect to make?
2)How long should one play for?
3)What time would be the most money-making time?

thanks
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
do buskers get arreseted? like for not having a street performace permit?
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by ItsThatDude
do buskers get arreseted? like for not having a street performace permit?

Around here, fined at most. The cops around here are extremely lenient though.
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan

A serious sig? WHATTT?
People can get fined/arrested for busking? I can't see how it would be a problem as long as its not loud and not offensive. Bloody hell I hope thats an 'only in America' thing.

skippertripper, I can't help at all, but I would suggest you speak to the coffee shop owner first to make sure its okay with them.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
in the UK i think buskers should 'strictly speaking' have a license.

i doubt many of them do and i think buskers should be encouraged!!!!

i always remember when i was walking around circular quay in Sydney and a fella was playing pink flloyd wish you were here, i went home and learnt it straight away!!! now its one of my fave tunes to play acoustic.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
People can get fined/arrested for busking? I can't see how it would be a problem as long as its not loud and not offensive. Bloody hell I hope thats an 'only in America' thing.

skippertripper, I can't help at all, but I would suggest you speak to the coffee shop owner first to make sure its okay with them.

I'm friends ( ) with the coffee shop owner's daughter, and she said it'd be fine if i chilled outside and played.
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan

A serious sig? WHATTT?
go when the place is most busy.
aand make sure to play in the shade
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
i;ve heard some ****ing well good players in the london underground.

in most places you do need a liecence though. i think all they can do is take your earnings off you if you dont have one though.
So branny are you an Aussie or a Pom?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Are there any other buskers in your area? If there are, ask them if you need a license, at least one of them should know. To answer your questions:

1) That really depends on your style of music and the preference for different styles in the area, the town size etc... but, in the town where I go to college a busker can make anywhere between £10 and £60 for an hours busking...and it's a pretty small town. The most I've ever made was about £30.

2) I wouldn't play for anymore than an hour unless you have a throng of people who are really enjoying your music.

3) This is a tricky one, avoid times where people are going to or coming from work as you might find them to be short-tempered and, more likely, in a rush. From my experience, the best time would be in the the lead up to and running into midday or at the end of and running out of midday as this is when most people are on lunch breaks, but because it's not for the whole time they're on their lunch break it doesn't impose upon their whole break.

Hope some of that helps.
In melbourne/australia you need a liscense. You can get fined up to 500 bucks I think, but most guys just give you warnings and make you pack up. liscenses are pretty cheap, just get it from the local council of whre your planning to busk, prices start at around $100. Depending on how profitable the place is.

You gotta tell 'em how much space your gonna take up, how many people you got, what your planning on playing ( lyrics of a few songs, maybe a demo cd),where, what days and at what time.

Then they'll tell you what you can play, when, how loud and how much space you can have.