Hi everyone,
Can anyone quickly tab out some cool sweep picking exercises. I can't come up with anything myself.

Thanks
For basic stuff, maybe just practice simple three-string sweeps.

-----------------12-17-12---------------
-------------13-------------13-----------
----------14--------------------14-------
--------------------------------------------

I guess you could even go easier..

----------------12------------
-------------13---------------
----------14------------------
-------------------------------
-------------------------------
------------------------------- And yeah.. maybe get that right first.

This is obviously for people who aren't comfortable with sweeping... the link SOAD posted is good for people who are comfortable with it.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
i learnd the threes first
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Well today I figured out sweep arpeggios for 3, 4 ,5 and 6 strings and played them diatonically. It's more beneficial if you work them out yourself, but if you ask really nicely (and if I can be bothered) I'll tab them.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Guitar_Boi_93
Hi everyone,
Can anyone quickly tab out some cool sweep picking exercises. I can't come up with anything myself.

Thanks

A) if you can't figure out your own sweeping shapes (when it's simple as putting notes on one string after the other) - then you shouldn't be learning to sweep. Simple as that.

B) because you'll ignore A, this is a ****ing TAB site - why ask for people to tab stuff for you when they already HAVE in the huge database you could search?
@ Free Power, this is a guitar COMMUNITY, where people ask questions, and ask for help so they can progress.

How was telling him hes a n00b and shouldnt be learning to sweep because he cant make the shapes helpful??? Your just ruining peoples self esteem, and if thats your attitude may be you shouldn't post.

I'm a huge beginner, not on guitar technique itself, but on any theory related issues, and I'm TRYING to learn sweeping at the moment and I have never made a shape, and rely souly on those written by others.

I suggest starting with 3 strings, as shown above, play that up and then back down again. Repeatedly until you can sweep it smoothly

----------------12------------
-------------13---------------
----------14------------------

Then add the pink on the 15th fret.

Then learn all the major shapes on 4,5,6 strings, and when you have done all that, you can start to learn hammer ons and pull off on the top string and finger rolling

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ Not only do we have sweep drills already tabbed out (which then makes someone doing it again a waste of time), he wasn't asking for help. He was asking for someone to do the work for him.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
How was telling him hes a n00b and shouldnt be learning to sweep because he cant make the shapes helpful??? Your just ruining peoples self esteem, and if thats your attitude may be you shouldn't post.

You're missing the point. Why should he have self esteem in this particular case? He doesn't have the ability, so why should he have the confidence? He needs to realise that the skills he needs do not include sweep picking at this moment in time. And that's the honest truth - if he can't compose anything that would need to be swept (which he can't) and he doesn't even have the self-awareness to realise that this makes sweeping unimportant, then he should definately -

A) learn why people use sweeping, what lines, what kind of music.
B) learn how sweeping generally works in a theoretical context - because he refers to them as "shapes" then i doubt he's even aware that they're mostly arpeggios, which once again, he should understand completely before sweeping even becomes a realistic option.
C) if he hasn't done A and B, i'd guess that his basic technique is too poor to actually properly learn to sweep pick - string muting, a good sense of dynamics, a good control of attack and general right hand cleanliness are all required before you start sweeping.

My point is, that if he can't form the shapes, he shouldn't be sweeping. That's how it is. What's he gonna do in some kind of megastar rock band? Ask the bassist to write him this awesome sweep solo?

"Hey, Flea, you got any shapes i can borrow?"

It's not a matter of trying to beat people down but trying to get them to sort out their priorities and to realise what they're asking compared to what skill level they're currently at.

I'm a huge beginner, not on guitar technique itself, but on any theory related issues, and I'm TRYING to learn sweeping at the moment and I have never made a shape, and rely souly on those written by others.

Why are you trying to learn sweeping then, if you can't even play in key? I mean, seriously, WHY? What kind of music are you trying to make?

Admit it - is it more important to be able to recycle sweep "shapes" - and risk them sounding **** the minute someone plays something in a different key or the like, or to be able to play notes that at least sound "good" across the neck?

My brother thinks im being a bit harsh, so let me explain myself a bit - it's a matter of priorities - get em right. And secondly, it's a bit insulting when someone asks a forum to do the work for him when he could have done any of these arduous tasks -

Read the front page - article on sweeping, right there, front page.
Looked in the tabs of this website.
Looked in the LESSONS part of the site.
Looked in the COLUMNS part of the site.

As i often say - if you're too lazy to look yourself, how do you expect to learn this difficult technique? Pretty simple.

Anyway, just hexplainin myself, feel free to ignore me but i know my ****.
To write a well thought out answer takes time. I always look at the question
and try to judge how much effort the person is likely to make if I put in MY time
on a good answer. I'd like to help, but is it worth my time?

I judged this question to be worth no more than "do a search" as an answer.
Anything beyond that has been good natured gravy.

And I think ALL of us have already wasted much more time than is necessary given
how the original poster is likely to find it of use.

Freepower = PWNAN THE LOLBARIAN!

Just so I don't get warning number two, you have all given wonderful advice in this thread
Why are you trying to learn sweeping then, if you can't even play in key? I mean, seriously, WHY? What kind of music are you trying to make?

Now your telling me why am I making music? Im not in a band I dont make music at all lol. I can play in key, and enjoy playing guitar and want to progress, thats why I want to learn sweep picking, It I want to be a mega rock star I'll become a theory geek, but I know enough to be getting on with.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
just do a google search and find out what chord the sweep consists of

after that, try getting down basic left hand muting technique, as well as "rolling" your fretting hand on adjacent frets, that should keep you busy
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
There's no need to go crazy -[Freepower]-. I can already sweep up to 5 strings confidently and i was bored and wanted more shapes to play. There's no need for me to go telling you my life story when i ask something simple.

Thanks to all.