I got an acoustic guitar and I'm doing all I can to teach myself to play. I've started by learning the basic chords but i'm starting to hit a dead end. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips or even recommend some good resources that can help me along my path to becoming a guitar godess. lol
have you started to learn barre chords yet? or just open chords so far?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
work on both of your hands, coordinate your left and right hand, get them in time and harmonied. Learn the pentatonic, blues and major scales. Learn easy barre chords.
definitely try barre chords now!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
definitely try barre chords now!
Yep. Start working on them now because they can be a little challenging -- you need to develop strength, coordination, and of course the knowledge of barre chords to be able to play them cleanly. 1-2-3-4 exercises and such are good as well since, if you're like me, your fingers (especially your pinky) do not always do what you want them to do. It's best to start working on fundamental weaknesses ASAP so progress comes sooner rather than later.

Branch out a bit as well, and start working on more techniques (hammer-ons, pull-offs, alternate picking, string bending and the like) into your practice routine. Learn some theory, learn some *basic* songs (preferably ones that also integrate techniques you need to practice anyway), etc... don't let your practice become boring or one-dimensional, because it'll probably turn unproductive as a result.

That said, keep stuff simple and build on it rather than trying to skip ahead. Though progress may be slow, have patience; you'll probably save yourself time by keeping it simple. Just play, learn, and enjoy yourself and good things will happen.

----

If you're looking for specific stuff, I can take a stab as a fellow beginner. I've used this site, guitarnoise (decent beginner section + easy songs), and cyberfret for lessons/theory instruction. Guitar pro (a program) helps for tabs if you can get it.

And songs... there's plenty of beginner-worthy stuff out there, and it's preferable you learn stuff you like anyway. But me, I learned basic riffs and kiddie stuff like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" first.

Then I learned "Horse With No Name" by America (only 2 simple chords, helps establish rhythm + strumming). Lesson on Guitarnoise.com in the beginner's section.

I used "Come as You Are" by Nirvana and "April 26, 1992" by Sublime for basic alternate picking exercise to keep myself from becoming too reliant on downstrokes.

And my first full song was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd... good for hammer-ons, picking, chord changes/strumming, and theres plenty of room to throw your personality into it. It's easy on the ears and not very difficult even for a beginner. It's featured in the beginner's songs section on Guitarnoise as well.

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php
^ Cool little website I saw linked here with chords+scales. Might help.
Last edited by Alizec at Jul 5, 2007,
ok there is a lot fo writing above^ lol so ill try not to make mine as long

you should get your chord changes faster and better like do a G then a D then C.

and try to ge tthe G and D nice and clean and try some chromatics (the 1-2-3-4) exercise hope some of this could help
i came here looking for tips too...started a thread and didn't hear anything i didn't know already. go get a real teacher, that's what I'm gonna have to do.
Quote by Alizec

And songs... there's plenty of beginner-worthy stuff out there, and it's preferable you learn stuff you like anyway. But me, I learned basic riffs and kiddie stuff like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" first.

Me too

To the poster, I'm a girl too, just started playing two weeks ago because I got my guitar for my birthday. I haven't even started learning chords yet. I started with the basic notes on the fretboard from little e to E. I know how exactly how important it is to learn the notes before anything else but I think it will help me in the future to know where the notes are so then I can put them together for chords. I plan on starting with Chords soon, and I do know one or two power chords, just not many.
I started with open chords
then power chords
Then some theory
then barre chords
then scales
and now I'm doing stuff like slides, hammerons, etc.

I've been playing about 8 weeks? I only know a handful of easy songs but I think that it depends on two things really.

1. If you are driven to teach yourself or not, and if you have that pinch of natural ability and eye for detail to ensure you do things CORRECTLY [which is important] (I personally am not that way inclined, so I have a tutor and practice every day at home in my spare time after work)

2. If you want to play lead or rhythm guitar -- I want to play rhythm (chords) so I started with those and spend most of my time on that aspect of things, though do note that obviously you need to know lead aswell, and the same applied the other way around. Whichever you want to do most, you need to be looking at in more detail.

These are just my opinions and I'm a beginner myself, but hopefully it's given you a bit more info on how beginners begin and the kinds of things you might wish to look in to.

-sc00t
2. If you want to play lead or rhythm guitar -- I want to play rhythm (chords) so I started with those and spend most of my time on that aspect of things, though do note that obviously you need to know lead aswell, and the same applied the other way around. Whichever you want to do most, you need to be looking at in more detail.

Just to add to that, you HAVE to be a decent rhythm player if you want to be a competent lead player.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
heres a lil trick: put coke bottle (plastic) caps between ur fingers, while ur NOT playing. then step it up to powerade caps. it actually works, i do it in my sleep.
PROUD OWNER OF AN ESP LTD VIPER

4TH Member of the "Rock n Roll will never die and if it does, im dure as hell gonna bring it back"Club. PM PedalBoard to join

Quote by Shredder6
CC Deville Take your love with cuthroat6654 OUT of my thread