Hey I'm new here. Well, I used to post here ages ago under an old alias which I've since forgot so... yeh...

Anyway, I've recently been working my arse off and I now have some money! So, what I need now is some effects and a nice fast guitar.

Now, I already have a very nice American Tele pimped out with DiMarzios and a 5 way switching thing, but I now require a nice new fast guitar with a whammy bar suited to hard rock and metal.

So, I was thinking Ibanez for sure. I'm wanting to spend about £300-£400 and am very interested in the Ibanez RG320FM. It seems to suit my needs and I love the finishes on them. So have any of you had experience with this guitar or perhaps outline any other good alternatives? Thanks.

As for effects, I was looking along the PodXT live and Zoom GT9.2tt lines. Now, I've heard good things about both but I'm undecided as to which I should settle on. Primarily, I want a nice clear, rich high gain distortion available suited for my metal preference. Because of this I was tending towards the Zoom as it uses tubes (12AX7s) whereas the Pod does not.

So, has anyone got any experience with either of these pedals or perhaps can reccomend another in the same price range?

Thanks a bunch.

Oh, I was tempted in getting a Damage Control Solid Metal Class A Distortion Pedal (also using the 12AX7s) but I'm not sure whether the price is worth it seeing that I may get a high quality distortion with the multi effects pedal anyways... Still tempting though!
1) A guitar is as fast as the guy playing it, I've seen people shred on Strats, Les Pauls, Teles, Ibanezs, Jacksons, everything, the guitar does not make the player, buy a guitar for tone, nothing else.

2) Get a good amp, I'm sure you can get a good amp for that much money, I just can't be bothered to look around right now.

Edit: I just looked on GAK.co.uk, and for £400 you could get a good all-tube Laney like this, I'm not sure how much gain you can get out of it, but with the change from £400 you could get a decent Tubescreamer and have all the gain you'll ever need.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 5, 2007,
Personally I wouldn't touch a Zoom product with a 50ft barge pole. Bad memories of the 505 years ago. Things may have changed but Iv not heard about it. I use the xtLive myself and I have to say i am quite pleased with it so far. The amp moddling is a love the versitility or hate the fact it is still digital. But you are not forced to use the amp and cab models and it still has a great array of effects. I mostly use it with the amp and cab models off straight into the front of my 5150 unless i want to clean things up a bit then i might use the AC-15 or roland jazz models to alter the clean sound a bit.

Id say if you really want somthing with tubes in it you should look at an amp first rather than tube equipped pedals and multi effects.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1) A guitar is as fast as the guy playing it, I've seen people shred on Strats, Les Pauls, Teles, Ibanezs, Jacksons, everything, the guitar does not make the player, buy a guitar for tone, nothing else.

2) Get a good amp, I'm sure you can get a good amp for that much money, I just can't be bothered to look around right now.

I completely agree, the guitar is only as fast as you can play, but if you mean a "fast neck" meaning it's thin, ibanez is known for it's thin wizard necks. Also, BC Rich has some really nice thin necks. But I digress, you can get a good amp second hand for $200. It wont be tube, but I got a Randall RH200 for $200, there is no reason to buy a stomp box if your just going to run it to a crap amp. Good amps have some really good distortion of their own. Just forget all about your stomp boxes... go amp shopping. and about the guitar, just go play a bunch and decide what you like most.
i thought the day i got my jackson with a whammy would be awesome but i realised i wasnt ready to use it.

just coz you have money, are you sure youre ready for a new guitar?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

1) No ****. I just want a faster playing guitar for ease. Some guitars play faster than others. I'm not saying I can't play fast on my current guitar, I just would like a slim fast neck. And I've heard for the price those Ibanez are good tone, but I'd replace the pups for sure, probably with Bare Knuckles.

2) How do you know what amp I have? Correct, it's pretty **** but for £200 I don't think I can get better. I have a Marshall btw which is fine for everything but I hate the distortion on it. Hate it on all Marshalls. Oh and it is tube.

And I might not have said it clearly sorry, I don't just want the MFX pedal for dist. I actually do want all the other effects!!

And yeh, I used to have a low end Zoom MFX pedal too. Played on a higher end one recently (bass) tho and was quite impressed. So I dunno. And I've heard it's quite close between the Pod and G9.2tt. But Ive heard the dist on the pods are a but sythetic...
Quote by _hex
How do you know what amp I have? Correct, it's pretty **** but for £200 I don't think I can get better. I have a Marshall btw which is fine for everything but I hate the distortion on it. Hate it on all Marshalls. Oh and it is tube.

£200...Tube marshall, yeah right, what model is it?

There is no such thing as an easier guitar to shred on, there are guitars that players feel comfortable with, but that doesn't mean thin neck = fast neck, try different styles of neck and find out which you are most comfortable with.

If you want lots of effects then fine, go with the POD, it'll be better than the Zoom.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Basically.. I don't want to change the amp because it's fine for everything but distortion and next I want stacks. But I want decent ones so Im saving for that. Also that not soon either because Im going to uni and a combo is fine for me right now.

And Im not buying the new guitar thinking it will make me a fast player. I was referring to the thin neck and easy access to 24 frets. I think I'm fast enough, would just like a fast neck like that.

All Im asking for is opinions on the eqipment. Yes Im ready for it. Ive been playing over 8 years now and am gigging with 2 bands locally. I just never had the money for anything else up until now so I jus wanted some other musicians opinions before I commit any money. Its NOTHING to do with how good I am. The only money I had recently went on a digital roland piano which cost over a grand.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
£200...Tube marshall, yeah right, what model is it?

There is no such thing as an easier guitar to shred on, there are guitars that players feel comfortable with, but that doesn't mean thin neck = fast neck, try different styles of neck and find out which you are most comfortable with.

If you want lots of effects then fine, go with the POD, it'll be better than the Zoom.

Read slowly.. I havn't once mentioned the word "shred", and I never said I bought a tube Marshall amp for £200. I said I don't think I'll get one better for £200. Jeez!

EDIT: and have you ever played one of those guitars? And similar Ibanez? They have incredibly nice slim and fast necks for the price.
Last edited by _hex at Jul 5, 2007,
Well i have a Zoom G7 and i am very happy with it. There are many features, but it is still very easy to use and sounds good. So I am sure the G9 will be even better.
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
Quote by _hex

So, I was thinking Ibanez for sure. I'm wanting to spend about £300-£400 and am very interested in the Ibanez RG320FM. It seems to suit my needs and I love the finishes on them. So have any of you had experience with this guitar or perhaps outline any other good alternatives? Thanks.

Regarding the RG320FM, don't bother. It has an Edge III trem which is not very reliable. (for more info, just search Edge III). Look up an S470, much better!
Actually, there's more to a guitar than just tone. You could buy the most expensive guitar in the world (I'm sure it would sound great) but if it wasn't comfortable to play, there'd be no point in it.

I personally prefer Fender necks, anything like Ibanez or Jackson is just too thin to fill up my hand, and gets uncomfortable if I play for too long.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Just take your money and try everything on the wall at as many shops as possible. Don't limit yourself. The one you really like may surprise you.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Right, I happen to have a lot of knowledge in this field.

For Xmas i got a Zoom G7.1tt (Same as G9 but with 2 less buttons for live sounds and without the 3D expression pedal). When looking at this is seems brilliant, Loads of buttons. A funky 3d expression pedal. Fastest patch change. And if you Haven't tried the other's you'd probably be ahppy with it. After, i played with other pedals, i realised that these models ar'nt as good as the other products.

But then it broke. A few times actually. form my experience they are very unreliable.

So i got my money abck and Bought a Boss GT-8. If it's effects you're looking for. This is you're boy. It has polyphonic guitar synths. more delays that i even knew was possible. Sturdy (from what i gathered - didn't have it long). The only flaw was the distortion channel's. They seem somewhat plastic is comparison to the Pod XT (which we have in the studio at college so i could compare)

I changed the product at the music store. It's great. The Amp Models are a lot more realistic than the Other two that I owned. It has enough effects, not as many as the Boss But You'd never really need them all unless You were trying to replicate the Muse sounds or something crazy. The only downside is I found that the distortion is not all that crisp when you palm mute on high gain settings. But that's nit picking really, I don't knwo if it's the digitality or whether it's a general high gain thing. I don't play with amps that much. You can't really hear it much, especially if you're playign with the band.

So IMO, The pod is the best Overall.
Maybe consider the Boss GT-8 if you plan to be using exterior distortion.

Stay away from Zoom, They rely on gadgets rather than quality

Glad to be of help
Last edited by BlazeBanderez at Jul 5, 2007,
Thanks BlazeBanderez thats good advice. Like i said i used to own a low end zoom pedal and that broke too so.. yeh.

I was looking at the GT-8 also but like you said, I heard the distortion wasn't upto much. I think I might have to be tempted with the Pod XT live. Thanks for that.

That S470 looks nice aswell actually. Im gonna check out if they have one at the store. Ive heard about those bridge issues you mentioned, I was planning on changing the pups and bridge eventually anyway. Im assuming its easy enough to replace an Edge III with a proper Floyd Rose?
own people much? Lol
Id say go with the boss, or else a me-50 if you dont like all the fancy screens and stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Does anyone have any ideas what the higher gain settings for metal type distortion are like on the Boss pedals and the POD?
Quote by _hex
Thanks BlazeBanderez thats good advice. Like i said i used to own a low end zoom pedal and that broke too so.. yeh.

I was looking at the GT-8 also but like you said, I heard the distortion wasn't upto much. I think I might have to be tempted with the Pod XT live. Thanks for that.

That S470 looks nice aswell actually. Im gonna check out if they have one at the store. Ive heard about those bridge issues you mentioned, I was planning on changing the pups and bridge eventually anyway. Im assuming its easy enough to replace an Edge III with a proper Floyd Rose?

With the Edge III, you may have to do some routing to fit in an OFR or something.
Yeah you can't direct swap an Edge III with an OFR. But I'd say look for an S if you want a trem at that price, because the Edge III wont cut it for you.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
The S470 has a ZR trem, not a knife-edge based one, I've got one and compared to a floyd they're easy to use and should last longer because there's nothing to wear down.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.