Okay, i'm replacing the nut on my fender strat, but when i was getting the old nut out, a big motherf*ker chunk of wood chips out too. I have glued it back in, but now the new nut doesn't fit (seems too thick), and the old nut is in a million pieces. How do i make the new nut fit? do i sand it down, or do i make the hole wider?

please help!!
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Sand it down a bit (the back edge not the leading edge) with fine sandpaper untill it has a snug fit, then glue it in.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
File the back of the nut slot, not the nut itself.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
ok got the nut to fit, but the problem is that it is the wrong shape!! the radius is flat on the nut but curved on my strat. what should i do???
Cut the grooves for the strings until they are curved to match. Be careful not to cut too low to start off, or you will screw up your action and need a new nut.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I'd start out with a shim underneath, just to give yourself a little more room, but yeah, cut the slots deeper.

HINT: if you string it up while you're cutting, the downward force of the strings will hold the nut in place, so you can do it before you actually glue the nut in.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
ah thanks what should i use to cut? I have a pumpkin carver (for halloween) do you think that will work?
I used a skinny file with a pointed edge. I don't see why a pumpkin carver won't work...

I'd suggest a knife or tool with a pretty fine edge on it, not some big cerated edge like a steak knife... just to get a clean cut.

Take your time, don't cut a lot to start. Get it strung up and loosen one string at a time, pull it out of the nut, and cut a little. Put the string back and tune it up. See how you like it.

With time you should be able to get something like this:

That is a professional setup, though. You should start with the action a little higher to be safe.

Go here to learn some stuff about setting it up:
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/ElectricGuitarRepair.htm
My Music
You can also use a piece of sharply folded sandpaper. They make nut-specific files, though.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Nut files are, like 100 $ though. I used to use sandpaper back in the day.

Anyway, what did you use to remove the old nut, if it broke into million pieces? A chainsaw?

EDIT: Zeroyon : your professional setup is a little sloppy. Say, the E6 should be half depressed into the nut for the best tone.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice... but its a 25.5" scale with a Drop C setup on it. The strings are 12's, so the #6 string is a 56. It's really tight all the way down the neck, where it will hold a pick at the 12th fret. I think the huge #6 string makes it look like its not all the way buried into the nut, but it definitely is.

I think the guy did an amazing job. You'd have to play it to get it, really.
My Music
He's in poland.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!