I just heard a commercial on the radio last night, after the Guitar Center 4th of July sale was over, that their sale this coming weekend was going to include, "for the first time ever, US-Made Gibson Les Paul Studios for $699".

Anyone know anything more about this? Like, is this some "new" Studio that's stripped down and basically an Epiphone, or is this a price-drop on the standard Studios that are currently going for $1199 new?

The Les Paul in my collection currently is an Epi Les Paul Standard, and it's OK, but I'm thinking the Cherry Gibson Studio would be a sweet upgrade at $699, and I could still sell the old Epi for $300 or $350, to offset some of the cost...
BUMP BUMP BUMP

If this is for real, I think I must buy one.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
All of the new Studios that I've played have been poorly built and sounded lifeless.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well studios are not the best gibsons but they are nor bad.In fact,since I wont be gigging with the Les Paul Standard,I woul like too buy a studio to gig with.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
i went yesterday and they weren't 699 here they were only like 100 dollars off
1169 after tax
i tried one and the tone and volume knobs don't work all that well
i've decided that i will get a explorer first then wait until i have 3 grand and get a HQ gibson les paul
They must be talking about the Vintage Finish LP's, or whatever it's called. It's like a faded worn finish. They're alright.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Yeah - I was there at 10am when they opened, and it's basically the two finishes that don't look that finished at all - basically that woodsy Brown model and the woodsy Red model. The nicely finished ones (the black, the white, the dark red, the cherryburst) are all still a few hundred bucks more.

The one I tried played well, and I played it through the same amp I have at home and it sounded good - the other nice thing is that they come with the OHSC, and normally the case would be like $120 or something on its own, so it feels like this is a good deal.

Are these substantially worse or different at all, other than the finish?

Would you get one, even though it's not the nicely finished ones? (Like, will these wear down faster or corrode or anything compared to the glossy finishes on my other guitars)?
yea I went up there also and they are the faded one's on special. They play pretty good, I didn't know but the faded studio's come with the burstbuckers, not the 490/590 alcino combo like the finished studio's come with, and you get the gibson case, all in all, if you can get over the finish, it's a sweet guitar for the money
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
that fourth of july sale was bomb. The white Steve Vai sig was going for $1700 and you could have bargined a better price. Most stuff (that i was checkin out) was about $100 off.
but the best GC sale is always Labor Day sale, those are always OMFG amazing
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3