Ok , Well I'm still looking to buy an amp. I have $1000 bucks, and I really want a Half-Stack, All-Tube, and Marshall....I know I'm far from having the money for one.

But I'm tempted to buy the Marshall MG Half-Stack, but I've heard that they really suck, and for a $1000, I was looking at the Peavey ValveKing Halfstack...BUT I tried it at my local Guitar Center, and I was really disappointed, I didn't like the clean and the distortion sounded kinda crunchy, so I'm really confused on what to choose.

Can you guys tell me some good reasons why the MG Series suck so bad ?

I really want a Marshall...

Thanks a lot.
Well, I don't know, because SS amps really dont cut it for me anymore.

I know the MG Series are SS , but a friend of mine had a MG and it was really loud.
They get get such a bad rap because the tone is very lacking and there's much better options for the price. Trust me I wasted my money on an MG and it was one of the worst decisions I've made. If you really insist on a Marshall, maybe you should be looking for something used. Like, maybe a used jcm800? I'm not sure of the price.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
why do you want a halfstack? if your getting a tube, get a combo, because they will generally be loud enough. and tone>volume.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
Quote by mr.frandy
screw the marshall i say you go for a line 6

Seriously? Go eat a hedgehog.

You want a Marshall Tube for 1K? Try a 2266 , or a used JCM 800 combo.
I would reconsider the half stack, because you can get a very nice tube combo, with lots of wattage at that price.

What kind of music are you playing?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
And don't forget- a halfstack will NOT, contrary to popular belief, extend the size of your Johnson. It's no better than a good combo, and a tube anything will sound better than that MG piece of crap. Same goes for the Spider.
Thanks a lot for the responses. Sorry it took me long, I went to eat something.

Well, I'm kinda psyched about Marshall's I guess.

I play Experimental / Progressive Rock [Ex : The Mars Volta, The Fall Of Troy, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Gentle Giant.]

But then again I know nothing about amps. What would be a good Combo suggestion ?

I was looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4/10, but is that amp really loud ? and well, is it good for what I play ? It's 799$

Thanks again.
Quote by cokeisbetter
And don't forget- a halfstack will NOT, contrary to popular belief, extend the size of your Johnson. It's no better than a good combo, and a tube anything will sound better than that MG piece of crap. Same goes for the Spider.

Sigged, and I totally agree.

The Deville is 60 watts, correct? That is more than loud enough for anything you will ever do. It's more of a blues/clean amp though, so I don't think it would work for you.

BTW, when was the last time you went to a music store and actually tried out amps? That's the best way to find something you like.
Peavey Classic 50 would probably be better for you than the Fender DeVille. Similar size, better OD. If you can find another $100-200, you could get a Marshall DSL401 or a Fender Supersonic, which would both be plenty loud and good for what you're looking to do.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, I'm in the middle of creating a Exp/Prog Band. Would it help if I use the Deville with a Tube Screamer ? and well, I'm using a lot of effects, Digital Delay, Reverb and Phaser, including some distortion from some pedals [Ds-1, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde Distortion Pedals and Turbo DS-2 ] I love the cleanness of that amp, I didn't try the OD, do you think it'll manage well with my pedals ?

Well I went to guitar center 2 weeks ago, but I got there kinda late, since they close at 9 and it was 7:30, and I tried out the ValveKing, which I didn't like =/ . It was really loud though.

Thanks again.
Last edited by aevus at Jul 5, 2007,
If you're using that many pedals, the DeVille might be a good amp for you. If you don't want/need the extra OD, maybe look to the Blues DeVille, instead. Nicer sounding amp, IMHO.

Other amps to look at might be the Traynor YCV 50 Blue (very Marshall sounding, and an amp I like better than the more expensive DSL401), and the Mesa F50, which you should be able to find in the $900 range.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.