Sometimes when I hit a mental wall, the best thing to do is de-tune the guitar. Pick random notes close to e,a,d,g,b,e, and tune each string to one of those notes.

you basically have to compose entirely by ear, but when i find myself playing the same old progressions, this helps to mix things up a bit.
Actually, I have done that a few times, and it does work pretty well.

But then, I usually tune it back to standard and transcribe it.
Nikolas
Well, it can work, since it takes you out of your comfort zone and you can't fall back on familiar patterns that might otherwise "limit" you. But, I'm too lazy to constantly retune, so I just try to think outside in the normal tuning.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I wish I still had my keyboard... The best way (for me, anyway) to write fresh material was to screw around on the keys. You can find some pretty interesting melodies when the major and minor scales are layed right in front of you like that.
This sounds interesting, can you be a little more specific? Is there a rule when doing this?
ya not so easy with a Free floating Bridge
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
I've done this a few times. I often tune to totally random notes and then take my keybaord and find what note it's closest to so that it is in tune with itself in some odd fashion. It does work very well, and you can get some really neat beautiful or terrifying chords.

I'm also fooling around on piano a bit more now. I'm going to focus on piano for a bit and then start playing a guitar, but look at guitar from a pianist's perspective.