Ok, so I may well be servicing my friends bass, but I don't play bass....

I originally posted this in the Bass forum but there's hardly anyone in there and i havn't had a response, so.......

...my friend (and bassist of my ex band) has a pretty ****ed up bass right now. It's action is a mess, the intonation is ****ed, the neck is all dry and in urgent need of attention, strings are ****ed, pickups are not flat with the bass' body....

Yeah I could go on forever.....but here's the thing: I'm not a bassist, and I do not own a bass. Therefore I do not know as much about bass as I do about guitar.

Today im at her house (her = my bassist friend) and looking at her bass, and I have offered to service and repair her bass for free, so long as she buys the new strings she wants. Now I know what i'm doing, otherwise I wouldn't have offered, but I would just like to know if there is anything else that I need to check/look for/be carefull of doing, that would not normally need to be done on a normal guitar.

Also I think the nut may be a little worn down, so is there anything I can do with it (without having to aquire and fit a new one, if thats possible ) to maybe stop the strings being so close to the first fret? I mean this may not be the nut thats the problem.....but just incase it is....i'd appriciate info on them

Also, as i don't own a bass, I do not own a bass amp, so would it be ok if i were to run this bass through my amp and effects pedal (the effects pedal has and electric tuner, thats why i'd be running it through there)

Thank's in advance guy's (and girls )
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
dont run the bass through your amp, unless you turn the volume allll they way down (that might not even work)
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Right, I shall not put it through my amp....but out of curiosity...why not? What happens/may it do to my amp, if I do?
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by rockdude375
Right, I shall not put it through my amp....but out of curiosity...why not? What happens/may it do to my amp, if I do?

Depends on the amp size.
You could blow a smaller amp....anything above like...45W should do fine, but if its under 20W I wouldn't. Take it from me, I completely blew out a 10W Nova practice guitar amp the week I got it (was garbage anyways).
New strings, Stretch, Action (at bridge), Intonate, Tune, Pickup height. That should give you a workable bass. Especially the intonation.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i always use the tuner on my guitar effects for my bass, it hasnt broken yet, but i havnt tried playing my bass out of my guitar amp, the guy at the store said i could as long as i turned the bass and the mid down.
Warwick 4-string
not a rockbass
a Warwick
Just don't put it through your amp because the cone will blow out.
I actually witnessed a seemingly "good" bassist try to fix the pickups on his bass backstage at a gig with his band through a guitar amp. Nothing happened but it's not good to tempt fate like that.
I'm a spoony bard and fiercely proud of it!
Quote by Mudmen190
Depends on the amp size.
You could blow a smaller amp....anything above like...45W should do fine, but if its under 20W I wouldn't. Take it from me, I completely blew out a 10W Nova practice guitar amp the week I got it (was garbage anyways).

45W isn't even big enough. Never ever play a bass through a guitar amp unless it's absolutely massive (250W +) otherwise there is a definate chance of death and destruction which is never fun.

Also, remember that basses take longer to adjust to new strings than guitars generally do. I find even downtuning to drop-D and leaving my bass in that tuning for long periods of time can subtly effect my neck tension so be careful - this varies with the strings you use too.

And dude, isn't this post in the bass forum too?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara
45W isn't even big enough. Never ever play a bass through a guitar amp unless it's absolutely massive (250W +) otherwise there is a definate chance of death and destruction which is never fun.

I've played my bass through my Line 5 (30 Watts), my Peavey (100 Watts) and my Ampeg (120 watts) and it's never caused any problems whatsoever.
Spiral Out