So I've seen alot of local metalcore bands using what looks like two identical overdrive pedals running into 5150 or other high gain heads. Exactly what is the point of this? Do they really need that much overdrive? Sorry if this sounds dumb haha I just thought that a 5150 especially would have enough gain on it.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
they could be used as a boost for solos or to get that extra crunch
I see no sign of fortress.
they probably want enough gain to kill a small country and then a boost or solos, the first one probably runs all the time and the second one comes in for boost
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
They weren't for boost, I know that. They just had them on the whole time.

On a sidenote; I know it's a horrible idea to use a distortion pedal while your amp is already on high gain. I don't know the exact mechanics of how distortion differs from overdrive but is this the same case with an overdrive pedal?
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
I dont even think 2 of the same distortion pedals would even work. im not sure tho. Im trying it next time i go to guitar center.
Lots of guys who want heavier gain will use two tubescreamers in a row. In fact, you can get a tubescreamer that's been modified to sound like 2.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Lol i don't know.

One guitarist I saw had a triple rectifier with dual overdrives running into it and it had the worst feedback I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. I wanted to go up and turn him down because even though he played ok; every time he would stop the whine would immediately spring forth.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Of course, running 2 od pedals in hot mode cranked into a 5150 with gain to the max is just insane.

The 5150 doesn't have the gain that high, only around 1/4 to half I'd say
then the first TS is a gain booster, let's say, when playing a stream of power chords
then the 2nd TS is also a gain boost..no idea..cover up sloppy playing?

TS is for boosting gain, it doesn't do much to volume

oooh, more feedback.
Also, one of the pedals may not have had gain on it, maybe neither, or maybe only a bit.

ODs are used alot to slightly boost the gain, volume, but also to tighten up the sound, especially when it comes to 'metal amps', they dont normally use them for more gain, but to 'tighten up the sound'
What exactly does "tighten up the sound" mean?
I'm not having a go - I've heard it used before, I just don't know what it's describing.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
thats right, i use my tubescreamer in front of the amp to "tighten" up the sound. Probably because the TS has this certain mid bump to it, maybe thats why it sounds tighter. I leave the gain on 0 on the pedal and leave it on at all times.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers