okay, so my band (unsigned) wants to do a cover song...
we would really like to put it on our record, but we don't really know what the deal is...
would we have to contact the actual band/artist? Or would crediting them on the album be enough?
we just want to keep it legal.
you'd have to contact the artist, probably via the record company.
you can legally perform it, record it, distribute it as long as you don't make money from it.
if you're making money you need the permission of the artist