I've been looking into "Correct Practicing" And found that what I'm doing so far isn't really very effective... I Play Metal, Lead Guitar. What's A Good 2-3 hour Practice Schedule? Not including playing songs... Just Licks, and Scales and that stuff... That's what I'm told actual "Practice" is. Any Help would be Appreciated.
if you get in a band, the audience isnt going to want to watch you play scales, theyre going to want to see songs.

i would say learn the songs you want to play,

however!

if those songs require certain skills/improvs on scales/'and that stuff' then you dont really have a choice to not get good at them! so this is the time to practice them

this is only my advice though :P

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by MangledPhox
I've been looking into "Correct Practicing" And found that what I'm doing so far isn't really very effective... I Play Metal, Lead Guitar. What's A Good 2-3 hour Practice Schedule? Not including playing songs... Just Licks, and Scales and that stuff... That's what I'm told actual "Practice" is. Any Help would be Appreciated.

30 minutes-warm up on metronome with practice exercises, 1-2-3-4 up and down the six strings etc.
15 minutes-just practicing licks that you know already just to get the fingers moving
45 minutes-practicing speed exercises on the metronome, and scales etc.
30 minutes-practicing techniques and licks on the metronome
15 minutes-cool down
Be cool.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
if you get in a band, the audience isnt going to want to watch you play scales, theyre going to want to see songs.

i would say learn the songs you want to play,

however!

if those songs require certain skills/improvs on scales/'and that stuff' then you dont really have a choice to not get good at them! so this is the time to practice them

this is only my advice though :P

I Understand that, I'm learning songs too, but this part is skill practice, to build speed and dexterity and such... so that I can play those amazing songs!

Also, can I extend the "Cool Down" and just play songs in that part or something?
Last edited by MangledPhox at Jul 5, 2007,