here is a hypothetical question for everyone.
based on speed, technicality/precision, musicianship, endurance and creativity...who would win in a drum off

Mike Portnoy (of Dream Theater) or Lars Ulrich (of Metallica)

???
mike
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
*Reported*

As Cadj said, no versus threads.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
No Vs threads, and Lars is a very over rated drummer.
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
Lars is complete bollocks.

And Portnoy completely owns.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Although Portnoy is technically better, I prefer Lars style and the metallica style in general.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Yeah right Lars is a terrible drummer, every fill he does is rushed and he has horrible timing. When I saw them live he screwed up so much it wasnt funny. I'm not a huge Mike Portnoy fan but I know for a fact he is way better technical wise, speed wise, timing wise. Mike is pro at changing time signatures and speed at the drop of a hat, he is also very good at over the bar fills.
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Quote by 666Sabbath666
Yeah right Lars is a terrible drummer, every fill he does is rushed and he has horrible timing. When I saw them live he screwed up so much it wasnt funny. I'm not a huge Mike Portnoy fan but I know for a fact he is way better technical wise, speed wise, timing wise. Mike is pro at changing time signatures and speed at the drop of a hat, he is also very good at over the bar fills.

Yeah... we all know that
Besides the threads been reported but theres no mods on right now
Best just to leave the thread
Neither. Take Neil Peart from Rush. No matter how fast Lars can go or how good someone else could play, Neil rules all Drummers.
Are you kidding me? Lars is a crap drummer.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I used to worship Metallica.

But Lars isnt that good,he can hold a beat but thats about it.

Im not into Dream Theatre but Mike is amazing, i heard Dance Of Eternity and soiled myself.
Buddy Rich wins, seriously.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I don't get you people, its a drum off between Portnoy and Lars, not Neil Peart or Buddy Rich and so on.
Quote by Dethdrummer
Neither. Take Neil Peart from Rush. No matter how fast Lars can go or how good someone else could play, Neil rules all Drummers.

Neil Peart is a great drummer but he's not the best. He's not really even as good as he used to be. He missed a few years of playing after his wife and daughter died and he's never really gotten to the point he was at. Portnoy is easily just as good as Peart. Their technique is similar, but Portnoy's a bit quicker in my opinion. The type of music Rush plays just gives Neil more room to stretch out. Plus he has a solo every show and people go nuts for it and go tell everyone how awesome he is. Virgil Donati is, in my opinion, one of the tops today. As for Lars...no. Just no.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Quote by moomoocons
Chris Adler FTW!!!!!!!!

I met him and Jason Bittner at the PAS festival
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Mike Portnoy FTW
Quote by stepco12345

You have more balls then me! .

Quote by i have to pee
I love you have sex with me?

We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.
Quote by brokenanthem

I have the dvd of them at the modern drummer festival or w/e. I watch it all the time. I get a hard-on watching him play.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by KissingShadows
Comparing Mike and Lars is like comparing Neil Peart and Meg White.

exactly

Quote by brokenanthem

metalcore bullshits.....
My Spanish Hearts
Portnoy, of course.

Lars is just a tool.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Quote by moomoocons
I have the dvd of them at the modern drummer festival or w/e. I watch it all the time. I get a hard-on watching him play.

Yeah it's an awesome DVD. Our percussion instructor for the drumline at college has it.

Quote by rx_eb
metalcore bull****s....

You don't know what you're talking about man. Bittner was trained in jazz. He just lucked up when he joined Shadows Fall.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
I've recently discovered a new disease I call LDS or Lars Degression Syndrome, it's a strange disease in which a drummer suffers through a reversal of the learning process, as in, they start their career with talent, but through the years the steadily get worse and worse until their skills are not unlike that of a burlap sack of potatoes, so far Lars Ulrich is the only documented victim, but this is an undoubtedly a problem that needs to be stopped!

in short...Portnoy wins.
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Portnoy.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Dude, Matt Kuykendall from All Shall Perish > Them.

[ And Lars is a tool, why would you even mention him? He sounds like a f*cking monkey hitting a drumset with a dead baby. ]