right this is sumin I see on the forums all too often "its solid state it must be crap" or "Solid state = crap getta tube amp" or "valve amps are the only amps you want"

Now this is sumin I find annoying cause I personally have tried multiple models of both types recently in my attempts to find a new amp to buy and I've found that although you can tell that the digital ones dont sound as (for lack of a better term) "natural" as an equivalent valve amp theres nothing wrong with solid states. Good solid states like any good valve amp give a solid tone and are just as versatile its just down to preference.

So whats with all this solid states are crap stuff I keep seeing, how many of these people who say solid states are crap without explaining why have actually compared the two types?

Cause am starting to get the feeling most of them dont have the slightest clue wot they're on about :S

Any thoughts?
Last edited by sajuuk at Jul 5, 2007,
the last thread i saw where u said this, the guy was looking at the crate half stack.

if he ws looking at a randall combo and wanted high gain, i doubt anyone would have said boo to him.

it ALWAYS depends on the amp.

and by the way, most of the guys in that thread have done more than try multiple amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you have a solid state that you like the tone, who cares what anybody else thinks.
You're right, people just see the prices on tube amps and naturally assume they're getting more bang for thier buck. A nice solid state amp can give out a pretty killer tone. I prefer tube amps, but I can deal with paying 700 dollars less for a pretty decent tone.
Yamaha AES620HB Semi-Hollow Electric,
Yamaha FG730S Acoustic,
Nova "Strat Knockoff" Electric,
Casio CTK-700 Keyboard,
Vox DA15 30 Watt Amp,
Nova "Shitty" 10 Watt Amp.
People who can afford tube amps like them better. People who can't afford the tubes like their solid states, or at least make themselves like them because they can't get a higher end amp. It's that simple. Tubes/valves/solids can all make the same music - it just depends on how you use it.
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
Depends on which solid state amps you're talking about. There are some good solid state amps out there, but even the best ones can't really compare tone and feel wise to expensive tube amps. Too often, though, people lump all solid state amps into the crap camp, even though they're not all really that bad.
I own both, and they dont compare...Tube is much better but like snot foster said tone is subjective. If you want that choppy unrealistic distortion that Slipknot uses you might be fine with a Solid State but for the good pure distortion such as metalica or for a warmer clean tube is much better. Also tubes sound much better at higher volumes whereas solid states start to lose their bite and just not sound as good. What amps have you been looking at?
Quote by JesusLives
If you have a solid state that you like the tone, who cares what anybody else thinks.

exactly. i have a solid state and i LOVE the sound i get from it.
Call me Trey.
Quote by jj1565
the last thread i saw where u said this, the guy was looking at the crate half stack.

if he ws looking at a randall combo and wanted high gain, i doubt anyone would have said boo to him.

it ALWAYS depends on the amp.

and by the way, most of the guys in that thread have done more than try multiple amps.

I'm sure they have but you have to admit it does look a lot of the time like most people just say solid state is crap just because everyone else says so, its like when people say licensed floyds are crap when most of em are pretty good
Theres nothing wrong with solid states, they just sound more sterile than tube amps and break up very poorly at loud volumes, and so people who strive for the best possible tone usually want a tube amp. A boss multi-effects pedal, for example, is obviously not going to sound like pure ass, but buying a boutique version of a single effect will most often sound more natural, and therefor in most cases, better. Some prefer cold, digital, sterile sounds, and so obviously they would prefer a solidstate/multieffects, but for those prefering organic, natural sounds, tube amps are the only way to go.
And as you play, youll acquire a better ear for tone, whichever you end up preferring, and so you may eventually pick up on the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the two.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
I like solid state amps more than tube amps. I think everything is a little to warm and bluesy sounding for me on tube amps. I want a Randall more than a cheap Marshall or something like that, so it really depends on ur preference
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
Munit has listed the only big disadvantage to solid state amps though, they start to sound pretty crappy at really high volumes, if you're playing a show and you want the volume cranked, tube amps are pretty much the only way to go. But Solid is great for at any other volume for a much better price, I find anyway.
Yamaha AES620HB Semi-Hollow Electric,
Yamaha FG730S Acoustic,
Nova "Strat Knockoff" Electric,
Casio CTK-700 Keyboard,
Vox DA15 30 Watt Amp,
Nova "Shitty" 10 Watt Amp.
stolen from Mark. hope you dont mind bro you explained it perfectly

Quote by steven seagull

The biggest thing about the tube v ss debate on UG is this...more often than not we're talking about the sub $500 bracket. In that price range, ss amps that are powerful enough to gig with pretty much all suck...and the most well known and well-marketed ones definitely suck. Chances are a $400 tube amp is not going to be as good as a $1000 tube amp, or even a $1000 SS amp, but most of the time a $400 tube amp will be a lot better than a $400 ss amp.

Solid state does some things brilliantly, but it does a lot of things badly and the cheaper ones only exasperate this problem. There's not a bad word to be said about a Roland JC120, or a Randall Century - they are about as good as anything at what they do well. Something like the MG100 though simply isn't fit for anything...it's too crappy to be a gigging amp, too loud and big for a practice amp, not gainy or clear enough for metal, not warm and gutsy enough for rock, etc...it's just a nothing amp. Unfortunately, most of it's SS peers are the same, they're just loud and non-descript.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i like tube amps better because the sound is just bigger. When I compared my old amp, a Roland Cube, to my new amp, a Fender Blues Deluxe, there was no comparison. The Cube was 60 watts while the Fender was 40 ad they both have 12" speakers. The Fender justs sounds bigger, warm, and creamy while the Cube just had good tone. There was nothing special about the cubes tone and no amount of volume could get that thick and rich tone my fender could get..
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

stolen from Mark. hope you dont mind bro you explained it perfectly

Not at all....saves me doing it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
solid state amps have gotten a bad rap mostly because of MGs, Spiders and Crates which are budget amps made overseas, they dont sound good, and they are prone to breaking, if you get into higher end things like Flextones, Randall V and T2s, mode 4s, and roland jazz chorus amps, theres alot of great ones, but with the higher end ones they tend to be way overpriced, i bought an old flextone II to jam on and it has some of the best replicated tones ive ever heard, far beyond anything a spider could ever do, marshall AVTs have great tones too but most people hear solid state and pass by, you just have to try amps out and listen to the channels, mess around with the eqs, always take your main guitar to test amps as well, most people dont do that.
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by steven seagull
Not at all....saves me doing it

Would have saved everyone a lot of time if people would just

USE THE F'N SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!!!

Seriously, the SS vs. Tube/SS=Crap?/Spider/MG threads need to die, or at the very least, we need to just have one of each going. This discussion has been done to death and I'm sick and tired of seeing the same thread over and over and over again because people are too friggin' lazy to use the search button.
excuse me ,,, have you ever actually used the fekin search button???? Unless you've got the exact title of the thread you want you end up with all sorts of crap and views change dude.
Topics need to be refreshed everynow and then

Plus if you dont like it, then dont post in it I was looking for recent opinion not complaints
Quote by sajuuk
excuse me ,,, have you ever actually used the fekin search button???? Unless you've got the exact title of the thread you want you end up with all sorts of crap and views change dude.

Plus if you dont like it, then dont post in it I was looking for recent opinion not complaints

Recent opinion = looking down the first or second page before you hit the "new topic" button. Use the advanced search and you can find anything you need. And as far as views changing in the SS vs. The World concept...that's a laugh...

What Mark said is all you need to know on the subject...end of thread.

EDIT...I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but the amount of threads on this subject is extremely excessive.
Last edited by TwoString at Jul 5, 2007,
Quote by sajuuk

I've got to agree here. UG is right near the top for guitar forums but it has THE worst search function I've ever seen on a forum.
search "half stack and solid state"

a full page of answers. just saying. after a while u learn how to use the search to get ur answers.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4530443

if u use "and" and keep it to the section u want, plus use words over 3 letters, ull find it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Search. Is. Your. Friend.

locked.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure