I've tried out a few Peaveys, but earlier today I was thinking about a local band that just broke up, and how good their lead guitarist was. I remembered how his tone was amazing and was great for any kind of sound throughout his entire time playing music in the scene, and worked so well with all of his effects and styles (he started out playing in emo and hardcore bands and worked his way through indie into funky jam bandish stuff), and then I remembered he had an Orange head and Orange cabs. I need to find an Orange dealer around here, and I have to sell some stuff first, but what would you go for if you were me? I'm looking at the Tiny Terror, and then thinking about getting some Marshall cabs in the 300-350 range (my limit is somewhere around 800, there's no way I'm selling my Spider II for the price I want unless I find a moron, and unless I can get some good value for my Xbox/PS2 and games.) What would you suggest?
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Cherry Sunburst)/Alvarez Acoustic/Electric cutaway
Amp - Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W
Effects - Boss OS2/Boss DD6 Digital Delay/Digitech RP50

lost city radio. (acoustic)

Songs
Substance and Color
Tiny Terror's nice and all, but it's only 15W. It's small if you intend on gigging with it. IYou might want to try to get enough to together to find a used Rocker 30 combo, or maybe look at other amp manufacturers that'll do something similar. Like Traynor, maybe.

That being said, the Tiny Terror is sitting on my "to do list," too. It is cool.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I really wish they had like...a Medium Terror, or a Jumbo Terror!!! Get that sweet overdrive at gigging volumes! What tone are you looking for? Cuz the Tiny Terror is supposed to be great for stuff like AC/DC.
The Tiny Terror can do gigging volumes pretty well through a good cab, but you're much more likely to need to be miced, and with a low-wattage amp cranked, you're not really going to be able to have a clean sound.
Quote by SlinkyMcdougall
I really wish they had like...a Medium Terror, or a Jumbo Terror!!! Get that sweet overdrive at gigging volumes! What tone are you looking for? Cuz the Tiny Terror is supposed to be great for stuff like AC/DC.

I'm looking for something that sounds good at extemes. I play alot of indie pop, hardcore, and post-rock. I'm thinking about a Rocker combo...buttt used kind of scares me.
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Cherry Sunburst)/Alvarez Acoustic/Electric cutaway

Songs
Substance and Color
...You shouldn't be afraid of used gear...

Unless if it's like...something you can't try.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
...You shouldn't be afraid of used gear...

Unless if it's like...something you can't try.
+A billion. All the amp stuff in my sig would have cost like $3500 or something insane new. I got it for $1700

Holy crap, I spent way too much on gear
^

o.o

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^

o.o

Well, I've pretty much found my tone with the Mark III, and once I sell my Peavey it will total out to $1000 or so, which is much more reasonable
o.o

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
would the Rocker 30 be good for everything from like, hardcorish to indie pop to post-rock? that's the three styles I play most. [

Songs
Substance and Color
I don't play the genres, but it would probably be able to do those genres.

A lot of indie bands nowadays are using orange amps; rocker/rockerverb series, ad's, etc.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
the jumbo terror would be like a rocker 30 or something
15 all tube would be plety loud for a gig as long as you odn't need a clean channel
if you need a clean channel especialy if you are going to be unmiced look elsewhere
I think I have like $2500ish worth of gear- not including all the stuff being worked on.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Do you listen to Fall of Troy? I don't but I know that their guitarist currently uses Orange amps. How about At The Drive-In or Mars Volta? That's pure Orange tone right there. The Rocker 30 is perfect for you
Quote by tubab0y
I think I have like $2500ish worth of gear- not including all the stuff being worked on.

Used is the only way to go. I have a Vox AC30CC1 sitting on top of a Tone Tubby 2x10 stocked with alnico's. Brand new, that set-up would've run over $1800. Cost me $800.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Used is the only way to go. I have a Vox AC30CC1 sitting on top of a Tone Tubby 2x10 stocked with alnico's. Brand new, that set-up would've run over $1800. Cost me $800.

This is a stupid question probably, but are used tube amps sturdy and built to last? has anyone had a horror story of bringing it home and two months later the amp blows after you just put out $800 for it?

Songs
Substance and Color
they are built to last
especialy orange amps
the only thing that you have to worry about is tubes
i think you should get a tiny terror or the next step up whatever that is.
but a tiny terror would be BA
I got my TT used, and for some reason, the original owner hated the stock JJ's in it and switched them out for Sovtek tubes. I tried it out with the Sovtek, and it sounded absolutely horrid. I put the new JJ's back in, and bam, perfect condition. I ended up saving 400, and I can't notice a difference between a new one and the one I currently have.

+1 for used gear. You don't have to worry, it's not going to fall apart.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by paulblestde
This is a stupid question probably, but are used tube amps sturdy and built to last?

I've got a 40 year old Silvertone that was built pretty much out of cardboard, but it's still crankin'. And most amps are built much better than that, especially if you're going with name brands. Any amp you're willing to buy new is worth trying to find used, IMHO. It's a great way to either save a couple bucks, or move up a model or two.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a '65 Deluxe Reverb re-issue on the used market.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
u can try that and a crate powerblock. I think they're built for amping up the volumes of amps without a pa
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Tiny Terrors are great and are perfect for gigging as long as you don't need cleans at topped out volumes. If you need headroom you need a Rocker 30 at least.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Tiny Terrors are great and are perfect for gigging as long as you don't need cleans at topped out volumes. If you need headroom you need a Rocker 30 at least.

How much did your Rocker 30 combo cost, if you got it used?

Songs
Substance and Color
Quote by paulblestde
How much did your Rocker 30 combo cost, if you got it used?

The ones here in Canada bump around for roughly 1200 (they sell for 1550), so they do maintain their price for the most part.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD