Has anybody actually bought a guitar from those Chinese websites? I have come across fritra.com and I was wondering about the guitars. They are obviously not real Gibson's and Fender's but where do they stand in terms of quality? Are they even made out of actual wood at this price? I figure the hardware must be total crap and the pickups too. I just want to know if anyone has bought one and either stripped the paint or checked out the cavities to see if it was real wood these guitars were built with, and possibly which wood. The fingerboards look really dry so I am hoping thats the case and they are not just some type of cardboard.
Last edited by DDLOdle at Jul 5, 2007,
People tend to never buy those no matter how cheap they are, but because the shipping is 100 USD (from fritra.com).
Well the shipping would be alot anyway. Your getting something shipped from China through EMS. I don't think that would merit not buying the guitars especially for this price point.
my friend actually bought one, his was a little different scenario though. he bought a guitar from a place in tennessee called "atomic custom shop" what they do is they take those china manufactured guitars that cost about 200 total, they set them up, tune them up, intonate, buff, all the good stuff, and sell them for 350. it plays incredible i gotta say, the pickups are pretty much crap, but the action is low, fast fret board, very smooth playing. just gotta update the electronics, youd think china would be better with electronics in a guitar...
fight the power that be
why would china be better with electronics?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
why would china be better with electronics?

because virtually every electronics product on the market, including the computer in front of which you're sitting, is manufactured in china.
Manufactured in China, not designed. Manufacturing is simply a factory making parts. The design is probably Japanese.

This thread is getting off topic, but I think the OP got the response he wanted.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
They aren't made out of wood, they're made out of compressed tofu...don't buy one unless you need a guitar that you can eat in an emergency, busking in the Australian outback perhaps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I am no expert but if you will look most guitars are made in china now anyways. Or the parts were and assembled here. I have an epiphone les paul standard not the cheap one, made in china. I have a recently purchased fender squire, made in china. I think you will find much of the electronics and small parts for guitars are made in china. Make em any worse or better, probably not. I have a custom carvin guitar, the cheap squire pays better. The americans dont put any more effort into their products just cost more. The epiphone came to me with the intonation way out and the action jacked way up. So did the expensive carvin. You have mexican strats and american strats. As I understand it the parts are the same you just pay and extra couple hundred bucks for an american to put the parts together. Yes I know it is good to make jobs for americans. But if gonna get the same parts and quality why pay extra. I cant complain about my chinese epiphone or the squire I bought. And more than likely the chinese knockoffs are coming off the same assembly line as the name brand ones. And like most you will probably go and buy pickups and such does it really matter where the originals come from.
Quote by Guitarzan1143
my friend actually bought one, his was a little different scenario though. he bought a guitar from a place in tennessee called "atomic custom shop" what they do is they take those china manufactured guitars that cost about 200 total, they set them up, tune them up, intonate, buff, all the good stuff, and sell them for 350. it plays incredible i gotta say, the pickups are pretty much crap, but the action is low, fast fret board, very smooth playing. just gotta update the electronics, youd think china would be better with electronics in a guitar...

Good to know. If you have gotten a chance to play it recently have you noticed anything weird about the fingerboard itself? I am hoping they are just dry and not some wood byproduct. Other then that did your friend ever check out the guitars cavities to get an idea of what the guitar is actually made from?

Quote by steven seagull
They aren't made out of wood, they're made out of compressed tofu...don't buy one unless you need a guitar that you can eat in an emergency, busking in the Australian outback perhaps.

Thats some expensive ass tofu.

Quote by Tackleberry
I am no expert but if you will look most guitars are made in china now anyways. Or the parts were and assembled here. I have an epiphone les paul standard not the cheap one, made in china. I have a recently purchased fender squire, made in china. I think you will find much of the electronics and small parts for guitars are made in china. Make em any worse or better, probably not. I have a custom carvin guitar, the cheap squire pays better. The americans dont put any more effort into their products just cost more. The epiphone came to me with the intonation way out and the action jacked way up. So did the expensive carvin. You have mexican strats and american strats. As I understand it the parts are the same you just pay and extra couple hundred bucks for an american to put the parts together. Yes I know it is good to make jobs for americans. But if gonna get the same parts and quality why pay extra. I cant complain about my chinese epiphone or the squire I bought. And more than likely the chinese knockoffs are coming off the same assembly line as the name brand ones. And like most you will probably go and buy pickups and such does it really matter where the originals come from.

Not to be a downer but you bought a custom carvin from from a relatively massed produced company. Its still not the same attention that you would get from a luthier. The guitar was probably not properly setup for your tastes. But I never played your specific guitars so who am I to say anything about that. As for the hardware talk. American strats do have better hardware then the mims. I would hope that would have been obvious but meh. Its good and all to give americans jobs but some of the guitars are better quality in some cases just badly setup.
Thats some expensive ass tofu.

You wouldn't be saying that if you were stranded in the middle of the outback with nothing but widgety grubs for company. And they aren't that expensive - it's the shipping that costs. Either way they're a waste of money and your also putting money into the pockets of peopl ewho are trading off someone elses name. If they want to make guitars that's up to them, but they can stick their own name on them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

lol. Yeah no worries I figure. I just needed something to work on in my spare time and I thought I could give these a shot. Everyone here seems to hate them so far. I have only seen one person with an experience with them so far so I am not sure what to say really. I probably won't do it I just need something to kill time.
i was shown this website today, www.fairy66.com and im seriously gonna pick up the hollow body red gibson.

but has anyone ever come across one of this sites that do any gretsch or martin acoustics? cheaply. i'm curiosu, i have my "real" guiotars and i love them but would be interested in a good copy of a martin like..

also the gibson is 270 euros including shipping and case.
stop bumping old threads to go on about your fake guitar, nobody cares
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc