Page 1 of 4
Who do you believe to be an overrated bassist. To start off is a man i F***ING LOVE but i do believe to be over rated and thats Flea For The RHCP. Sorry but thereare many who are much better and he's always put before them!!SORRY FLEA FORGIVE ME!!
hhmmm, while some of his stuff is neat and it was cool for a while, tons of les claypools stuff sounds the same to me. I like Primus and their bass lines are pretty sweet, but claypool gets alot more credit than he deserves IMO
Quote by TURN_UP_DA_BASS
Who do you believe to be an overrated bassist. To start off is a man i F***ING LOVE but i do believe to be over rated and thats Flea For The RHCP. Sorry but thereare many who are much better and he's always put before them!!SORRY FLEA FORGIVE ME!!

I agree, people always put him in front of people like Geddy Lee and Les Claypool who are just so much better.
True people are very quick to bring up les but Geddy is never brought up at all even though be's ten times the bassist!
^^
lol
sorry i just found it funny how different our post are. Just a strange coincedence how he would appear in the next post after mine lol.
I think Flea is the mainstream's quintessense of good bass playing, and he simply does not have the skill to be such a thing. He's a solid player, but he's not the god that most non-musicians think he is.

Victor Wooten never blew me away. He annoys me, in fact. I'd put Jonas Hellborg or Bill Dickens over Victor Wooten any day of the week.

I am reluctant to pick out James Jamerson, but people have been touting his ability and bass lines, and I have yet to be floored. He may have influenced the people who have influenced me, but Jamerson himself did not change any facet of my playing directly (like I was hoping he would). I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. Motown and funk in general aren't my thing.

EDIT: Oh, and Les Claypools incessant popping and slapping solos really bug me. OK, slap, pop, strange clothes, I get it
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Flea is overrated but he isn't that bad. His band on the other hand, is terrible and extremely overrated.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Flea deserves all the hype he gets. He is the only bassist playing in a mainstream rock band who actually knows how to play the instrument. Think of how many kids have picked up the instrument because of him. Without Flea the bass would be a far less popular instrument, in my opinion.
Pete Wentz, yeah I know he is great, but not that great..
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I never heard someone that praises Flea that much, I think he is not overrated.
...And The Nominees Are
pete wentz, no heart, all for the money/10 yr old girls.....

Flea plays some cool stuff..
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Quote by jagstang270
I never heard someone that praises Flea that much, I think he is not overrated.

Flea has the "Smoke on the Water Syndrome". It's a really overplayed song and kids who yell on the forums 'lolol i can play teh smokez on teh waterz i pwn' get really really annoying. Knowing how to play Smoke on the water really isn't a thing to brag about.

The same thing with Flea. Kids give Flea a bad name by make threads like 'omfg flea is teh best bassist'. It eventually gets annoying and more experienced players try to explain that there are better bassists out there and pretty soon the Flea flaming begins.
Holy **** Jagstang Is the vocalist on the song in your sig called Adi Cohen by any chance?

Ben Hamelech
Quote by thefitz
I think Flea is the mainstream's quintessense of good bass playing, and he simply does not have the skill to be such a thing. He's a solid player, but he's not the god that most non-musicians think he is.

+1
/thread
Les Claypool is in absoultely no way overrated, his technical and musical ability allows him the credit he receives. I wont argue that he is the 'best in the world' as the word 'best' is always relative. Flea on the other hand, I can definately say is overrated, but only because of RHCP's mainstream success and people's musical short sightedness.
Easily Victor Wooten, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't like watching other men masturbate.

Pete Wentz gets second place just cause of the 10 year olds.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Flea is loved by bassists because he has a more melodic role in his band instead of being a background musician. So bassists want to be like him because he's the star of the band. But that's not the reality of a bassist and I can accept that.
Victor Wooten has so much musical stuff that nobody listens to. He's so much more than just a solo bass wanker. Too bad that's all anybody ever talks about. I'd definitely buy his work with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones before I'd buy one of his solo albums. I just don't like all out electric bass solos because they always lead to a display of chops instead of musicality. If you want to hear the real Wooten, go listen to some Flecktones. I'd say Wooten's musicality is underrated and overshadowed by his solo wankage.
Overrated in my opinion would be Les Claypool and Cliff Burton.
Got Bass?
Quote by BassistGal
Pete Wentz, yeah I know he is great, but not that great..

im sorry, but you just proved the over rated bassist thing right there by call Pete Wentz great... yea u admitted he was overrated but you call him great... Pete Wentz is by far not great, and should never be given such a title. he a 4 note bassist and ok yea that works for some songs, especially if your slowing things down... but to do nothing but that makes you ****, cuz thats the most simplistic form of playing bass ever, and to becomes famous and have people adore you and consider you inspirational is just showing how **** bass players of the future just may be. I'm 17 and to hear people around my age bracket call him "good", "great" or "inspirational" is just plain retarded.

and with that i guess you know who i choose
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Quote by 3_D
im sorry, but you just proved the over rated bassist thing right there by call Pete Wentz great... yea u admitted he was overrated but you call him great... Pete Wentz is by far not great, and should never be given such a title. he a 4 note bassist and ok yea that works for some songs, especially if your slowing things down... but to do nothing but that makes you ****, cuz thats the most simplistic form of playing bass ever, and to becomes famous and have people adore you and consider you inspirational is just showing how **** bass players of the future just may be. I'm 17 and to hear people around my age bracket call him "good", "great" or "inspirational" is just plain retarded.

Somehow I think Gal was being sarcastic...
its insulting regardless
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Quote by flamingmarble27
Pete Wentz. By his 13-year-old girl fans and wannabe fanboys, anyways.

Pete Wents isnt a bassist, he's a showboy he is insulting music by picking up any form of a guitar
bass players are never overrated
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
I'm really not sure about this 'overrated bassist' argument. I think any bassist can be overrated, but as they say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'- if you think Flea is god and Claypool is overrated then so be it.

I could list some legend bassists and even argue that Jaco Pastorius is overrated but where can you draw the line? Anyone can overrate any bassist because everyone has different tastes in music and basslines.
signature
so from what im reading you guys think Flea is to Bass, as Travis Barker/Joey Jordison is to drums?

I don't think Flea is overrated, he's pretty talented, but I'd definatly take Geddy Lee over most other bassists anyday.

Claypool is overrated only because he's so innovative with his style/look that people are constantly talking about him... I'm sure that's what he was trying to do when he picks out his outfits... Just grab attention. It works.
Quote by silentscream51

Claypool is overrated only because he's so innovative with his style/look that people are constantly talking about him... I'm sure that's what he was trying to do when he picks out his outfits... Just grab attention. It works.

And Claypool can play very good to back up his overratedness too, and I think he plays harder stuff than Flea on a regular bassis, but I still prefer Flea.

EDIT: this post doesn't make any sense at all, does it?
Quote by 3_D

Sense of humour?
Oh snap!

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I'm really not sure about this 'overrated bassist' argument. I think any bassist can be overrated, but as they say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'- if you think Flea is god and Claypool is overrated then so be it.

I could list some legend bassists and even argue that Jaco Pastorius is overrated but where can you draw the line? Anyone can overrate any bassist because everyone has different tastes in music and basslines.

You're rather right. Of course, some won't agree and thereby proves the point correct. Some may say Flea is over rated yet I think people give him the credit he is due. When you come to think of it, so many people want to emulate Flea and have his style he has to be doing something right. He's a good solid bass player and provides the bridge between Chad and John, melodic and tight - he's certainly not over rated in my eyes. But eh, that's just my opinion.

Paul McCartney is rather over-rated.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

There are a lot of votes for Pete Wentz. Wait a sec, since when was he ever a highly rated bass player? The ten year olds never mention Pete Wentz and Bass in the same sentence.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i thin flea is one of the best bass players that ever lived... and stick with the belief that he seriously is...

no-one can play like him, his basslines are tasteful and creative and alive, he has an amazing presence and energy while playing live...

yes, i believe there are better bass players... but flea is unique...
There are a lot of votes for Pete Wentz. Wait a sec, since when was he ever a highly rated bass player? The ten year olds never mention Pete Wentz and Bass in the same sentence.

exactly... i dont even know why someone came up with damn pete wentz to this thread...
My dislike of/indifference to bassists like John Myung, Les Claypool, Geddy Lee and Chris Squire have made me to be something of a pariah in the bass playing world. You can guess my votes.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
God damn it, Fitz. Change your avatar already. It's not funny any more.
Quote by Lendorav
God damn it, Fitz. Change your avatar already. It's not funny any more.

I will, but only when the time is right for me. I should keep it until that punk is no longer in the limelight.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I will, but only when the time is right for me. I should keep it until that punk is no longer in the limelight.

ok, now we're screwed......

p.s. - youre not telling me fallout boy is called "punk" by someone... please tell me not...
Quote by thefitz

Wentz will be forgotten with FOB. They basically need just one commercial failure to be forgotten. They just released a record in Feb 2007 and they'll probably take about 2 years to make a new one and there's still no guarantee that it won't top the charts like all their other major label records. The emo-punk scene will eventually fade out, but it will take time and other talented musicians. I'm guessing in about 5 years or so.

So basically that means that you'll have to fly the Wentz banner for at least 2 more years. Please don't do this to us!
Quote by DesolationRow0
ok, now we're screwed......

p.s. - youre not telling me fallout boy is called "punk" by someone... please tell me not...

I'm calling him a punk in the traditional sense (like a no-goodnik). Not punk in the positive sense, like a 36 year old Mark Hoppus playing his dumbed Precision bass and singing teeny-bopper love songs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Page 1 of 4