Page 1 of 2
After 1 year my first time around, I'd quit.

One year into my second attempt at learning guitar, I was playing... Hmm... That would have been about Christmas my Sophomore year of HS, so... Hmmmm.

I would have been rocking out lostprophets' first album. TFSOP. I was just learning what Drop D was at that point :P
play most of blues based classic rock songs, memorized the pentatonics, and improv quite a bit.

now, i've gotten to the major+minor pentatonic scale mixed together. i like it. and improv a whole guitar solo, jam sessions, damn humongous inventory of chords, and way better gear lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i dont remember....
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Quote by Pabli7o
Green Day / Nirvana / and stayed there for another 3 years :-(

u for reals? did you only play from time to time?
I'm approaching the 1 year mark ATM. Just learning solos and playing them ATM. (the Iron Man solo, Back in Black solo, stuff like that)
I have greatly improved after a year. I'm learning theory at a very good pace. I can play the solos to Whole Lotta Love, You Shook Me All Night Long and the first two from Let There Be Rock. I can play most of War Pigs and Back in Black too.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Last edited by ebbbaaa at Jul 6, 2007,
Quote by SiKh22
u for reals? did you only play from time to time?

back in 2001 i knew ALL their songs. Then i did the easy parts of Iron Maiden (riffs and stuff) for another year till Saint Ulrich came to my house. Metallica introduced me to more challenging music. Not long ago (end of 06) i started to play some unearth and killswitch . Take a look at my video of "my curse"(link down there).
just passed the one year mark a few weeks ago, and right now im writing my own songs and starting a band, even though we havent gotten very far yet (its not the one in my sig, thats just a solo project). mostly ive just been messing around, so i dont know any definite theory yet, but i just do it by ear. gonna be buying some new equipment soon too, once i have to give my cousin back his stuff .
Black Sabbath solo are awesome to play..yeah i also play Iron Maiden solo's. learning Mother Russia and Alexander the great right now...but just started to alternate pick. i dont know why i didnt do it before
I've been playing for about 14 months, and right now I'm trying to learn how to sweep/shred (though I still suck at it). I don't know, I can play both of the Fade to Black solos, and a good part of the One solo (I can do tapping and alternate picking no problem). I've been working on some of Marty Friedman's Megadeth stuff (Symphony of Destruction, Hangar 18). Not real good at those either, at this point, though . I've found that if I challenge myself and try to learn stuff that's way too hard for me I make a lot more progress than if I just stay comfortable with stuff that's within my ability.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
I've been playing for about 14 months, and right now I'm trying to learn how to sweep/shred (though I still suck at it). I don't know, I can play both of the Fade to Black solos, and a good part of the One solo (I can do tapping and alternate picking no problem). I've been working on some of Marty Friedman's Megadeth stuff (Symphony of Destruction, Hangar 18). Not real good at those either, at this point, though . I've found that if I challenge myself and try to learn stuff that's way too hard for me I make a lot more progress than if I just stay comfortable with stuff that's within my ability.

same i tired learning Hangar 18---that song beat me in enough cause of the solo's. holy wars is very fun to play also but hard.
I've been playing for around a year, so I asked my friend who has been giving me some tips on how he thought I was doing, he said my theory is better than my skill, so I'm just kinda brushing up on the basics at the moment.

Currently learning Closing In by The Living End which is a fairly challenging song for me, considering i've undergone absolutely no instruction.
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez AS73
Ibanez TB100H + TB412A
Quote by SiKh22
same i tired learning Hangar 18---that song beat me in enough cause of the solo's. holy wars is very fun to play also but hard.
Yeah, I love playing those songs, but the solos kill me. (Shameless plug alert) I basically have no problem with anything alternate picked, and the rhythm parts of those songs aren't very hard for me, but I just can't shred very well at all. Which is why I'm working on it
my first year, i tried to teach myself guitar....lot of good that did. People that think they can teach themselves are dead wrong....and usually people that say they are going to teach themselves have 1.) never heard someone after just a few months of lessons and 2.) dont really know what "teach yourself" is...because they usually come to sites, like UG here..and go to the lessons, which isnt by themselves, somebody wrote that, so really that person tought them...its nonsence...take lessons..lol...but yeah..after my first year...i really progressed
Wow, everyone kicked my ass. My guitar teacher sucked (still does too!) and only taught me like main riffs to songs and stuff. Although, after playing for a year, i started to listen to some REAL music. id say at about a year, the hardest song i knew how to play was tears in heaven by clapton, and after that, it was probably my friends by rhcp (not including either of the solos :< Now, about 1 year later, ive been teaching myself southern rock solos, stuff like skynyrd, and learning rush stuff, and some rush solos (the ones w/o 24 frets!) I'd say the best solo i know is dreams ill never see by molly hatchet. Once i get a new guitar (with 22 frets, lol) ill start learning more stuff like the scorpions, and more shred-type stuff. I am pretty much a self taught musician though.
I am now realizing that i should have learned music theory right away....because now its going to be a pain in the ass after ive been playing for a while...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Megadeth writes some hard songs, only easy song ive seen that is not really hard to play is Kill the King or Vortex. Good musicians(megadeth) and it gives excellent guitar practice
I've actually never taken guitar lessons, and I think I'm doing quite well. FWIW, though, I've been taking piano lessons for over 7 years, and been playing trumpet in the school band for 4. So I really haven't had to learn much theory, if any, and I didn't really have to spend any time working on my picking strength/endurance (you'd be surprised at how good of a forearm workout piano can be).
Quote by kool98769
Wow, everyone kicked my ass. My guitar teacher sucked (still does too!) and only taught me like main riffs to songs and stuff. Although, after playing for a year, i started to listen to some REAL music. id say at about a year, the hardest song i knew how to play was tears in heaven by clapton, and after that, it was probably my friends by rhcp (not including either of the solos :< Now, about 1 year later, ive been teaching myself southern rock solos, stuff like skynyrd, and learning rush stuff, and some rush solos (the ones w/o 24 frets!) I'd say the best solo i know is dreams ill never see by molly hatchet. Once i get a new guitar (with 22 frets, lol) ill start learning more stuff like the scorpions, and more shred-type stuff. I am pretty much a self taught musician though.
I am now realizing that i should have learned music theory right away....because now its going to be a pain in the ass after ive been playing for a while...

For the Scorpions try playing "The Zoo" awesome song man! also try Highway star(deep Purple) easy song but fun play
Quote by De Amazing Blob
I've actually never taken guitar lessons, and I think I'm doing quite well. FWIW, though, I've been taking piano lessons for over 7 years, and been playing trumpet in the school band for 4. So I really haven't had to learn much theory, if any, and I didn't really have to spend any time working on my picking strength/endurance (you'd be surprised at how good of a forearm workout piano can be).

holy crap your like my identical twin, although my instrument was clarinet instead of trumpet ( my clarinet broke in half "accidentally" this year )
i'm at the halfway mark and i am pretty proud of myself, i can play pretty much anything i want to, i write my own riffs and songs, i know quite alot of theory aswell.. i can't wait till i hit the 1 year mark!
I'm probably at 10 months now, and I'm starting to get into theory. Anyways, I can play SRV, Clapton, RHCP, Jack Johnson, and some Hendrix. Basically, I can play alot, although SRV and the likes take awhile to get really good at.
I really think people should stop making threads like this. If you keep comparing yourself to others, you might get discouraged.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
^ +1 those threads are pointless and most people here don't quite tell the truth to make themselves feel better.

Also at about 1 year, most people are at the stage where they think they will be gods because "whoa i can play metallica now... imagine where i'll be in another year or two!!!". Well... you don't improve as much after the first few months anymore... sry but someday you will find out.
didnt play much in my first year, greenday and yellowcard stuff, now its almost my third and im playing metallica and maiden.
Quote by Marlboro Man
I could play eruption, and the solo from battery.

wow eruption after a year impressive, how much did you practice a day and what sort of exercises
1st year, i learned absolutely no theory, but could play things such as revolution is my name by pantera, little wing, midnight by satriani, a handful of metallica songs and a lot of improv around the only scale i knew.

No lessons, but i should of learned theory, stupid mistake but i was young.

The year after it was all technique and theory, and some random songs i learned parts of to help practice techniques.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
After a year I was playing stuff like blink 182, and starting to play stuff like metallica, I learnt nothing else matters around that time, first pretty decent song I learnt, around the 2 and a half years mark I started getting serious and seeing results.
iv been playing just over a year and i dont realy think im anywhere near where i should be, i dont realy practice i pick up the guitar and play small parts to a few songs for maybee about 20 mins then stop, later on i will do the same again, i do this almost everyday, i realy need to start to practice and learn some stuff, unfortunatly i dont live close to anywhere to take lessons and even if i did im on the dole and they dont pay for stuff like that i spend more times tying to get the tone i want than i do playing
Quote by scottish nutter
iv been playing just over a year and i dont realy think im anywhere near where i should be, i dont realy practice i pick up the guitar and play small parts to a few songs for maybee about 20 mins then stop, later on i will do the same again, i do this almost everyday, i realy need to start to practice and learn some stuff, unfortunatly i dont live close to anywhere to take lessons and even if i did im on the dole and they dont pay for stuff like that i spend more times tying to get the tone i want than i do playing

Use lessons on the internet, does the same thing in the end.

I get days were i can't even pickup the guitar because I'm too busy, but most days i try and practice 3-5 hours (not all in one, spread out over the day)

Print out some lessons, make some goals and soon you will see some results.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
8 months, "self taught"
Can
- Alternate pick
- Play Machine head, Trivium, RATM, thin lizzy(ish) stuff like that.
- use my little finger
- play eruption

I play guitar like 2 hours a session, about 3-4 sessions on a holiday/weekend, 1 on a school day.

I don't have like a routine i just love to play guitar, its so fun, but i find i learn better if i take 5 minute breaks instead of just playing till my arms get tired.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I learned loadsa stuff and said "I can play 'x' solo", and really thought I could, then went back and ran through most of them again after about 4 years, and realised how badly I'd been playing them.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Been playing for 3months now and the only songs i can play are House of the rising sun and Sweet child o mine, been struggling with the solo for 2months :s but can play it well now.
Quote by Guitarzan1143
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=464199&songID=4652166

thats me after 1 year and a few months on my starter guitar/amp to a keyboard drumbeat

grease lightning ..goo grease lightning..
^thats what comes in my head when i listen to this track lol. no idea why.
Page 1 of 2