I'm not sure if this kind of thread is allowed, but since we're talking about two fairly comparable guitars here, I'm hoping it's cool.
Not that I can afford either of these guitars right now, but I'm saving up, and I'm looking at two different Les Pauls based on price range and availability in Alpine White finish.

-The Epi LP Elitist weighs in at around $1,100, so it's slightly cheaper than the Gibson, and I definitely prefer it's looks to the Studio, but though in the upper end of the Epiphone spectrum, it's still an Epi.

-The Gibson LP studio is a teensy bit pricier, but it's got the Gibson name (a big plus). However, the reason for it's lower price is a few cut corners such as the lack of binding (ie. it's not as pretty).

Any input, especially from someone who's played either one, or even both would be awesome! I'm really stumped here, so maybe some of the LP/Gibson freaks around here can help me out (you know who you are ).
If they are at your guitar store, Try them both out and choose yourself.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
hmmmmm....i love studios, they are great, but I would go with the elitist, I've only heard the best about the high-end epi's
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by CyberK007
gibson, but i pref sound and dont really give a **** about looks as much
So you're saying the Gibson would sound better because it says "Gibson" on it? . Honestly I think the Epi wins in pretty much every department in this case. Except the lack of the word Gibson on the headstock
go play them, there are different types of studios with differnet pickups and sounds idfferent...also each guitar feels different, the feel of an elitist is defiintly different from my studio...mines the majogany one with burstbucker pro pickups in them.

to catagorize elititsts being better is garbage, go play some guitars and check it.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Cant say much about a gibson never owned one. For the price of the gibson I can pay I can buy 4 epiphones. Im left handed and they dont make but one or 2 models of gibson or epi. The cheapest gibson for me is 2400$. I have an epiphone standard with the set neck. And it is a pretty good guitar. Made from same wood and probably same hardware. I see big stars use the epi elitist. And Im told by more than a few people that a good gibson is a hit or miss thing. So I guess its style or substance thing.
where are they made?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by lua4x
where are they made?

Does it matter? If it plays and sounds amazing who cares?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I've played several Gibsons, including a studio, 1959 Standard and a Custom, and I can honestly say my Epiphone sounded better than all of them. I was playing them through a really nice Marshall Head and they all sounded dull. I'd reccomend the Epiphone.
def go epiphone. I've had to spend over 400 quid fixing poor workmanship on my studio, metal fatigue, fault wiring, frets coming out, and I im having to take it back this week again as the bridge seems to be wearing, so my strings arent straight. Gibsons quality control is a disgrace, and dont think that the standard warranty will cover you.
I have heard tons of stuff about Epi elitists being better than LP studios on this site; however, I have never played an epi elite that sounded better than a a Gibson LP studio. Not one time and I WORK AT GUITAR CENTER!!! I think people just jump on the Gibson-bashing bandwagon because they can't save their money and buy one. Yea their quality control has gone down a bit but I have played one Gibson LP studio in my life that didn't sound amazing. So before you listen to all these people talking about what they don't know go to a music store and sit both guitars down side by side and play them into the same amp. You will see which one is better...it will be the Gibson 95% of the time. I'm not saying the epi's are bad cause they are nice guitars, but not as nice as the Gibson. Buy what sounds good to you. Good luck!
joshuaestock.com
Quote by JEST87
I have heard tons of stuff about Epi elitists being better than LP studios on this site; however, I have never played an epi elite that sounded better than a a Gibson LP studio. Not one time and I WORK AT GUITAR CENTER!!! I think people just jump on the Gibson-bashing bandwagon because they can't save their money and buy one. Yea their quality control has gone down a bit but I have played one Gibson LP studio in my life that didn't sound amazing. So before you listen to all these people talking about what they don't know go to a music store and sit both guitars down side by side and play them into the same amp. You will see which one is better...it will be the Gibson 95% of the time. I'm not saying the epi's are bad cause they are nice guitars, but not as nice as the Gibson. Buy what sounds good to you. Good luck!

the finish on the gibson opens up the wood as it ages and makes it sound better as it gets older too

the epiphone gets old and dies

the epiphone is higher quality than the studio

but if you want the guitar to last you a long time then get the gibson

that was the realization for me when i went to GC and played my friends elitist and the LP studio

plus
the ebony fretboard on the alpine and classic white aren't bad
Quote by CyberK007
gibson, but i pref sound and dont really give a **** about looks as much

me too. the high end epiphone may be a prettier looking guitar, but it will not sound quite like a real les paul.

although...you might like the sound of a "not gibson les paul" better, so like above:

try both and get the one you like.

the best epiphone les pauls are still not gibson les pauls.
well do you want quality or the name...

imo the elitist is a better playing, sounding guitar, and the high end epis QC is better than studios from what I've heard
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by jasamb
me too. the high end epiphone may be a prettier looking guitar, but it will not sound quite like a real les paul.

What makes the epiphone not sound like a real Les paul? They are all made from the same material and have relatively the same pickups.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
What makes the epiphone not sound like a real Les paul? They are all made from the same material and have relatively the same pickups.

honestly i dont know, but there is a difference
go for the elitist. hell i know bands that use epiphopnoe elitists over gibsons guitars.

ive never heard anythin bad about those
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Do you want a solid guitar (Epi) or a chambered one (Gibson)?

For what it's worth, Gibson stopped swiss cheesing their production Les Pauls. Now all 2007 models are chambered.

Pics:
http://www.crashexperts.com/Duane/Chamber2.jpg
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129609&highlight=x-ray

The second link is a BFG. According to Gibson CS, "the style and amount of wood taken out in the BFG is the same as the new Standards and Studios."

In the end, if it sounds good it sounds good. But, for me, this just isn't what the Les Paul is about. I'd take the Elitist, as it's a more accurate replica of a Les Paul.
Last edited by Acoustic#3 at Jul 6, 2007,
there are some pretty amazing epiphones out there epically the eleatists the epiphone would definitely be a better guitar if its a high end one
My Gear

Gibson ES 335 (1990)
Gibson Les Paul Standard (1986)
Eppiphone acoustic john Lennon J 160 E
Fender Jagstang
Gibson SG
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 tube wats)
does anyone know how the wood is on the elitists? I've heard of Epiphone half-assing the bodies (using very thing sheets of mahogany/maple, using mystery woods, etc.). I'm guessing you're getting the real deal with the higher end Epi's but does anyone know for sure?
Elitist.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Eighteen4Ever
does anyone know how the wood is on the elitists? I've heard of Epiphone half-assing the bodies (using very thing sheets of mahogany/maple, using mystery woods, etc.). I'm guessing you're getting the real deal with the higher end Epi's but does anyone know for sure?

The Elitist has a solid mahogany body and a maple top... true LP tone
Elitist bodies are solid mahogany with maple tops. The mahogany is two pieces though, made from a single piece that is split in half (thickness wise) and opened up to form the blank for the body. This is referred to as "book matched" as it is akin to the opening of a book. This gives the next best thing to the one piece body used by Gibson. The same method is used for the maple tops.
Quote by Eighteen4Ever
but it's got the Gibson name (a big plus)

If that is the main reason you are buying the guitar, you should keep your money in your pocket...

...and slam your head in a car door for being a dumbass...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Once an epiphone, always an epiphone, I say get the gibson. The epiphone is made in CHINA, not even korea or such, and we know how great things from china are right now right? (Dog food killing dogs, toothpaste killing people) I say get american and get Gibson, cause in the long run when youve had the guitar for 20 years, youll be glad you can have an american made guitar when there will prolly be no such thing in 20 years
Quote by puttsey
Once an epiphone, always an epiphone, I say get the gibson. The epiphone is made in CHINA, not even korea or such, and we know how great things from china are right now right? (Dog food killing dogs, toothpaste killing people) I say get american and get Gibson, cause in the long run when youve had the guitar for 20 years, youll be glad you can have an american made guitar when there will prolly be no such thing in 20 years

Elitists are made in Japan. Japanese guitars rival American guitars at every level in terms of quality...maybe even exceed in terms of what you're getting for the money.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Elitists are made in Japan. Japanese guitars rival American guitars at every level in terms of quality...maybe even exceed in terms of what you're getting for the money.

Wow, how misleading, when I went on epi's site a while ago they had a picture of an elitist and linked to the article of the china factory http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=868

Then I dug deeper to find it is japan made, My jap strat is amazing so I guess go with the elitist
OK. First off, I would say, instead of buying a high-end Epiphone or a low-end Gibson, I would save another $800 and get a quality Gibson (I'm thinking along the lines of the Classic Antique model or something similar). But...if you really can't wait any longer I would say this:

If you really prefer the looks of the Epi, get it, and then just drop in a set of pickups which suit ur style of music (I would recommend a Gibson 57 classic in the neck and a Gibson 57 classic plus in the bridge, but that's just because they suit my style of music). So maybe it won't sound EXACTLY like a Gibson, but hey, that way you can better match ur style with the PUs you choose, while still getting the extras like binding, etc... I own an Epi LP custom (not elite) and it's held up really well over the past one and a half years I've had it. The only thing I can really complain about, is that it's PUs are quite muddy. My friend has the exact same model as I do, except he dropped some seymour duncans into his, and as a result his sounds much more crisp and clear - there is a very noticable difference. So even if the elite Epihones' PUs are muddy, you can just swap them out for a better pair for a couple hundred dollars (which you can save up for after you purchase the guitar, so you don't have to delay in getting the guitar :P).

As I said, I would recommend you save up a little bit longer to get a quality Gibson model, but if you can't wait that long, I would personally go for the Epiphone elite with a PU swap. However, as multiple people have mentioned, the best thing for you to do is simply go down to your local music store and compare them side by side (play them through the amp YOU own, not a $5000 one!) and see which one suits you best. Everything is individual. Decide for yourself! (on that note, I would never recommend buying a Gibson, simply because it says Gibson on the headstock)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Anybody who spends that much on a epiphone needs to be shot ten times. Make that 20.

I would buy a Used Gibson Les paul. My dad just did, he got his for 1200 no tax.

I think that's the best thing to do.
Quote by puttsey
Wow, how misleading, when I went on epi's site a while ago they had a picture of an elitist and linked to the article of the china factory http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=868

Then I dug deeper to find it is japan made, My jap strat is amazing so I guess go with the elitist

American wood is superior, Japanese guitars are good, but american ones are better. In this case, Gibson is better.

Some Japan guitars are better sometimes, but american guitars are better most of the time.

I wouldn't get either, just get a used good Gibson Les paul, because one day you're going to buy one eventually.
Elitist, Studio Gibsons made in recent years feel funny to me, too light and just not well cared for. Plus, every kid on the block has a studio, none have the security to buy a high-end Epi. Stand out!
^your ignorance needs to be shot 20 times

edit to nano
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
played an elitist many times........sure it looked nicer, but didn't compare to the Gibson Studio.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203