Looking to add some variation to the sound on my steel string. Which is the best way to go for a pick up? I've seen a double coil Dean Markey on sale recently. Not sure what the technical name is for it, but it wedges itself into the hole... I've also heard of ones you place on various parts of yr baby, but i'm rly not sure which way to go. I plan on recording with Audacity if that makes any difference to anyone that responds...
Are you plugging into a PA, Acoustic guitar amp, Or electric guitar amp?
Not taking any online orders.
30W Peavy Electric amp. I use GHS Silk and Steel Strings for their more muffled tone if it makes any difference.
Last edited by HedlessChickn at Jul 6, 2007,
It does.

You can't get good tone from an undersaddle transducer or a bridge plate transducer if you are using an electric guitar amp. It's best to match bridge plate transducers with PA's and undersaddle transducers with acoustic guitar amps.

If you are using a magnetic soundhole pickups (that is what you were looking at) then you need to use regular acoustic strings. The silk steel strings will not be picked up very well. If you are playing through an electric amp you want a magnetic soundhole pickup. Which would be switching to normal strings.

Dean Markley does make good soundhole pickups. On my last couple acoustics I've put a Dean Markley La Jolla active pickup which is a combination magnetic soundhole/undersaddle transducer. It's got a stereo output so that you can run the magnetic pickup to your electric guitar amp and you can run the other half to a PA or acoustic amp. It works great and they cost about $140. The only drawback to these pickups is that you have to be sure your guitar has a 1/8" saddle not the 3/32" saddle. You will also have a hell of a time finding them if you live outside the USA, although I do know somebody that could help.
When you say "normal strings," what type specifically are you referring to?
Virgin Steel String acoustic
GHS Silk and Steel Mediums

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
GHS Boomers Ultra Lights

Fernandes Tremor Delux
Elixer Polywebs

30W Peavey Amp

Friends Are the Family You Choose.
Anything for a steel string acoustic except the ones with a silk core. The more magnetic material in the strings the better but the core of the string does have to be magnetic even if the windings are not.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 6, 2007,
Thank you very much for the information.
Virgin Steel String acoustic
GHS Silk and Steel Mediums

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
GHS Boomers Ultra Lights

Fernandes Tremor Delux
Elixer Polywebs

30W Peavey Amp

Friends Are the Family You Choose.
For silk core strings, what would you reccomend? Would a soundhole/mic pickup be better? Going through either a PA, Acoustic amp, or Electric amp.