Okay, so I have this Ibanez RG270DX with a Edge Pro (not sure about the type, I guess it's III). Whenever I hit a string, all the other strings start to vibrate a bit as well, which gets really annoying when playing with distortion. I have the feeling that the trem picks up the vibrations and oscillates as well, transferring it to the other strings. My other guitar with a fixed bridge doesn't have this problem.

I'm asking because I'll be buying a Carvin custom 7 string soon, and I really need a vibrato (vintage-style is fine, too, but Carvin doesn't have them listed in their custom quote). A FR would be really nice, but I won't buy it if it has the same problems like my Edge Pro III.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Not normal - and I'm gonna assume you're not picking too hard. Make sure it's on properly and failing that check the strings are in correctly.
That's pretty odd, I'veplayed guitars w/ FRs before and I pick HARD and I've neverhad that problem......take it to your local music store and see what they think of it.
Yeah, that might be your best bet (<< in reply to previous poster) sounds like an odd problem there....also it's an Edge III not an Edge Pro III (they don't exist )
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Ah thats great. Just to be really sure: Could anyone play the 9th fret on the g-string, release/mute it and check the other strings? In this case, my a-string vibrates really hard and all the other (besides the d-string) strings vibrate as well, just not that hard.
^ seconded.

Are you damping the other strings with your hand while playing?
--
well physically, that should be normal behavior because the bridge is absorbing the vibrations and hence has to pass of the mechanical energy to everything it touches.
It shouldn't be as noticeable as it is to you though, so it sounds like theres not enough tension keeping the bridge in place. Use thicker strings and more springs.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Are you damping the other strings with your hand while playing?

I have to, because otherwise I get that problem.

Thicker strings etc: I use .011 with a one whole step down tuning (DGCFAD) and I really don't want to go any heavier with the gauge. I don't want my problem there fixed, I just don't want to realize that I should have bought a fixed bridge instead of a FR in that Carvin. But thanks for your help. I'll try to lock the Edge III in my Ibanez in one direction by placing a piece of wood or something between the body and the trem. After that, I'll tighten the springs more.
^ seconded.

Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Jul 6, 2007,
Well you're supposed to damp the strings.... If you just put your fretting finger on the string you were playing and nothing else, then of course the strings would ring, although perhaps that is not quite what you meant.
--
Aww, whenever I play the 15th fret on the high e-string, I get a natural harmonic in the 5th/24th fret on the g-string. This is really bad. I hope that it's not a common FR problem.
^ seconded.

Its your technique, not the bridge, strings oscillates depending on which note you fret. All the other strings would try to pick up the resonance of the ones you pick. Physics

The higher your gain is, the more sensitive your pickup at picking up noises/rings.

If there're certain buzzes around then yeah, that's probably the bridge.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Its your technique, not the bridge, strings oscillates depending on which note you fret. All the other strings would try to pick up the resonance of the ones you pick. Physics

The higher your gain is, the more sensitive your pickup at picking up noises/rings.

If there're certain buzzes around then yeah, that's probably the bridge.

As already said, my other guitar with a fixed bridge doesn't have this problem.
So you are saying that it's a common FR problem, right?

[edit] Of course you can easily hear that unplugged. It's just like an artifical harmonic intensity-wise.
^ seconded.

Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Jul 6, 2007,
Nope, the only common FR problem are double bends, string breakage causes detuning, and some other stuff. Not related to string resonance coz that happens to all guitars.

If anything, try to restring everything up with existing strings/new one preferably.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic