Okay ive had my electric for well over a year now but only recently (last month or so) have i been actually been playing more than maybe once a month.anyway i was wondering since i havent been using my books much (ive mainly just been screwing around on my strat) and i dont really have much interest in them should i just continue to muck around my guitar and learn chords and scales or should i follow the excruciatinly boring lessons out of my book?

btw im not asking what is right and wrong im asking peoples opinions.
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
i think you should do with your guitar what YOU want. I started by learning open chords. when i got a few down I played a song out of a book. lady in black was the first ^^ then i got into barre because of the F the next more different song was country roads. hell i loved to play that =D and these steps were really really fun the next thing was the smoke on the water intro riff etc. play what you like and the rest will come easily =)

edit:
oh.. and f*ck the books. maybe you'll come to it later
The "excruciatingly boring" lessons tend to help you improve finger strength and dexterity in the very early stages. Yes, learning songs is more fun, but it's better to attempt them when you have at least some degree of basic technical ability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also, I would practise basic chromatics to get your pinky working, you will need it alot in playing lead or rhythm(especially barre chords).
Quote by Delta-dragoon
Also, I would practise basic chromatics to get your pinky working, you will need it alot in playing lead or rhythm(especially barre chords).

good advice

I have discovered that my pinky does not like to cooperate. It definitely needs some work. But then, I've only been playing two weeks.

To the original poster:

If you don't learn as easily from books maybe you should look into an instructor for learning? It would help alot with learning basics you might otherwise skip if you jump right into tabs and the slightly more complex stuff.
ive been playing for a year and a half mate, and i looked at the book 3 times and just put it away! learnt some riffs of the songs i liked played a lot of open chords, that was about it! remember to get barre chords down there annoying at first but then there piss easy after that! once your past this stage you can basically play most songs(none of that shread crap though)
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
btw what are barre chords?
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
btw what are barre chords?

look them up in your book
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I taught myself by learning tabs and playing along to songs. I took me half a year to get to open chords. Seriously, I think everyone has their own way of going about it, it's up to yourself. It's all about the journey.
www.myspace.com/theoncefuturekings

Let me know what ya think!

MUFC

And it'll haunt you, my honey bee,
anyone who's anyone has had that same dream,
where you're falling, or where you're flying,
or were you calling out, or were you dying?
the only way you're going to get through any of those books is if you need to. Playing the guitar, you need to develop a perception of what you want the guitar to sound like and what kind of guitar music you like. You clearly like some because otherwise you wouldn't even touch a guitar so just browse around here through some of the threads in the bands/artist sections and try downloading some and see what you like. What I found is that I learnt all the stuff I found boring before when I found that it was an integral part of the guitar playing I wanted. I actually enjoyed learning it all when I needed it too. You also don't need to learn from books, you can learn from ear but books help you to learn the techniques faster and can help you develop your ear. If you go straight into learning stuff by ear, you may get bored quickly. Also, you might want to look at the theory behind what you're playing if that interests you, but it's far from essential and a lot of people detest it or find it useless (i find some useless).
All of the above might be useless to you. It may be that you've got a sound in your head and your own perception of guitar playing already but you don't know how to play it out. In that case, just do what you're doing and you COULD be the next eddie van halen.