Were these only made in the USA?

I came across an ad for a vintage strat and it reads like this think this is legit?

What we have here is a Fender Fat Strat Hot Rod. This is a limited edition, hand numbered 178 of 250. It is a silver misty color, black milled metal pickuard and backplate, duncan detonator in the bridge position, chrome hardware, knobs, and switch tip cover.

It is in great condition. There is one small surface scratch in the neck pocket. Had is professionally checked out and it does not and will not affect the playability of the guitar.

She's really beautiful, and I hate to let her go, but I have too many guitars and I need to clear out some space.

$350 or best offer. Delivered
Attachments:
Strat02.jpg
Last edited by anonamooseguy at Jul 6, 2007,
After they were bought out by CBS, they sent manufactories over to Japan in the 1980's i believe. Before that they were all produced in the USA.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I am waiting to get the serial # from this thing. It looks like the '62 reissue hot rod which fenders price is 2200.00 so at the store maybe 1200.00. I am just wondering if there is a MIM version or something cause 350.00 for the real deal you cant pass up.
yeah if you can get the serial number, you should be able to get the date pretty easy.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I dunno, I'd take it no matter what for $350. It's definitely not vintage, and it's not one of the hot rod reissues (they all still are SSS-type and white PG, white knobs.) It's nothing I've seen- might not be all stock. Take a look at it in real life.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Upon further research on this thing it has to be a fake. I can't find anything on a "fat strat hot rod". The color isn't a color that the vintage hot rod comes in. the headstock should say classic tremelo under fender. And I didn't notice the "duncan designed" logo on the bridge pickup.
Last edited by anonamooseguy at Jul 6, 2007,