Hi,

I just managed to get my hands on an older Ergodyne bass for cheap recently.

I've heard guitar amps can be damaged by playing a bass through them since the speaker isn't designed to handle the low freq produced.

However, I have a Valve Junior amp that I usually hook-up to a home-made cabinet to play guitar.

Would it be feasable to run the bass through the VJ and new cabinet built with a bass speaker?

I figure there can be no ill effects on the amp, since it just basically amplifies a signal, no matter the frequency. Can the actually amp be damaged by playing a bass through it even if it drives a bass speaker?
I think playing a bass through a tube guitar amp can damage the power section of the amp quite extensively, not just the speakers. I might be wrong though.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

This is were I find it hard to understand, does a bass really have more output voltage than a guitar?
I don't think it would be bad for anything- there are lots of all-tube bass amps out there.

And since it has lower frequencies, bass amps need a higher wattage to keep up with guitarists.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
From what I heard you can blow the poweramp tubes. The low E on a bass is just 5hz, due to this your amp might be destroyed.
No, it's fine. It might not sound that great, because a bass amp is designed to produce a much cleaner signal than a guitar amp, but it'll be fine.

The speaker is the only thing you have to worry about, and if you're positive it's meant for bass, go right ahead.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
You'll probably get some Lemmy-ish tones out of it.

Give it a shot, VJ's are a dime a dozen anyway.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Guitarmike123
From what I heard you can blow the poweramp tubes. The low E on a bass is just 5hz, due to this your amp might be destroyed.

I call bull, you can only hear to about 18hz.

Anyhoo. Threadstarter, it should work totally fine.

I think.
Quote by tubab0y
And since it has lower frequencies, bass amps need a higher wattage to keep up with guitarists.

That's going to be your biggest problem. It'll work as a bedroom bass amp, but not much more.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by cokeisbetter
I call bull, you can only hear to about 18hz.

Anyhoo. Threadstarter, it should work totally fine.

I think.

Well then someone has been lying to me .
Stupid music teachers.
Quote by Guitarmike123

If a low E is 5hz, what's the F# below that?

It's a whole lot more than 5hz.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
If a low E is 5hz, what's the F# below that?

It's a whole lot more than 5hz.

My 8th grade music teacher told me that when I was going to play guitar through a bass amp I hate him now.
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Jul 9, 2007,
E1 is 41.2hz and the low B is 30.9hz. I don't know about the F# though, it's literally a brand new idea.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by Guitarmike123
My 8th grade music teacher told me that when I was going to play guitar through a bass amp I hate him now.

If you think thats bad, my 4th grade music teacher told me that Bob Marley was still alive. I didnt know any better at the time..
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
With how stupid you are, I bet it was true!

Owned.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
^??? He was dead before I was even born.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
That totally went over your head. My point exactly.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!