for a single song in a single key should i only use a total of 7 chords. or is it common to use as many in a key as possible. Im sure it is, but for a beginner should i start with 7?
Why seven? You could go with as few as four. Three, even.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i wouldnt concern yourself with the number of chords. think of a tune in your head and then figure out how to play it.
Three, four, and maybe five chords is common. You would need a pretty good progression for seven chords to go together and have them come back to the I chord. A song example with a lot of chords could be Hotel California which i think has six chords.
Start with with two, maybe three. Things like I-V, I-V, and both. Make sure you know your theory, don't just make up random progressions.
Coltrane's Giant Steps has 26 chords a chorus.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by CanCan
don't just make up random progressions.

you can make any progression you want
Quote by DeathDealer
you can make any progression you want

Yeah, how would he know how to make one that sounds the way he wants it to sound without theory?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Yeah, how would he know how to make one that sounds the way he wants it to sound without theory?

By using his ear works for a lot of people. (unless you're being sarcastic. Upon re-reading, your wording is a little funny, so pardon me if I'm mistaken)

Not an excuse to not learn your theory, by any means, but your writing doesn't have to be limited by your current theoretical knowledge.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out