I watched Thirteen on IFC last night and I personally think it's an astounding film. It's powerful and depressing, but also a great look at how the age at which sex and drugs become a reality in a kid's life is slowly going down. Pretty soon, it'll be eleven-year-old kids with tongue rings and coke addictions. In seventh grade, I knew people exactly like Evie (and eventually Tracey), so this film is very, very right. It doesn't push anything.

What you think about sex and drugs with regard to a person's age? Is this OK that emotional "maturity" is coming earlier and earlier? What about puberty? Do you think puberty will start to arrive earlier as well, for future generations?

Discuss the film and these other points. Or whether or not you, too, think Evan Rachel Wood is a babe (It's ok, she's 19 now).
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
Damn MTV, screwing up our kids.

It's not natural, it's an emotional problem causing kids to want to be like their idols but not realizing that they are too young to be getting tatoos, piercings, and having sex. I'm fine with 15-16 year old girls having sex, because that is about the time when your body is ready, but doing it before you even have any trace of breasts... Disgusting!

And drugs are devastating to a developing brain. Wait until you're 16 to start smoking and drinking.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
well, yeah....because of humanities growing disregard for parenting, and self respect,
Humans WILL evolve to a form where puberty will come at age 5.
A friend of mine watched that film the night before she turned 13, she is scared since then.

By the way imo you can start drinking from age 15 but never, never in your whole ****ing live do drugs or start smoking.
Looking for a new sig!
hahaha sorry to tell you dude,
according to drug experts they recently said that if the ABC system was renewed based on facts - alcohol would be a class A drug and many drugs higher would be dropped.
LSD would be a class C.
So in my opinion it's either ok to do drugs AND drink.
Or neither.

And I pretty much think that 15 - 16 is the age where choices can be made.
Before that and people aren't ready, hell many if not MOST aren't until well after that unfortunately.
Quote by REBAN primusfan
i enjoy getting boners. they make me feel important.

Quote by chubbychunks
George Lucas didn't invent Christianity, although he was a big contributor.
I haven't seen the movie, so what is it, kids ****ing at age 13? Cause thats whats happening in the schools in my area.
I think it's an abysmal film.

Completely over sensationalised, unrealistic, racist scaremongering garbage.

I despise that film for making people believe that our today's teenagers act like that on a grand scale. The girl was a good A student, she wouldn't suddenly be turned into a drug addled sex addict in a matter of days for the sake of some girl she thought was cool.

I absolutely hate that film on every level. I think whoever made it should be ashamed. These girls do exist, but they certainly don't become what they are based on a popularity contest. They come from dysfunctional families or have mental issues, they do not change from A student to slut overnight.

And did you notice every bad person in the film was black? What was all that about? I'm all against over the top political correctness but apart from the two main girls everybody they slept with, fought with, hung out with etc were black.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I'm a firm believer that marijuana is not as harmful as alcohol - of course, you should probably wait until you're fully developed before you start smoking it, if you're going to. Coke and the like are a horrible idea no matter what your age, as is smoking cigarettes.

I think it's OK to have sex once you're at least reasonably developed, and you know what the hell you're doing in regards to how pregnancy works and how to have safer sex. Of course, you need to be mentally prepared for both the act itself and its possible consequences, but such preparation could come early as well, I guess.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
Quote by GarageGuitarist
I watched Thirteen on IFC last night and I personally think it's an astounding film. It's powerful and depressing, but also a great look at how the age at which sex and drugs become a reality in a kid's life is slowly going down. Pretty soon, it'll be eleven-year-old kids with tongue rings and coke addictions. In seventh grade, I knew people exactly like Evie (and eventually Tracey), so this film is very, very right. It doesn't push anything.

What you think about sex and drugs with regard to a person's age? Is this OK that emotional "maturity" is coming earlier and earlier? What about puberty? Do you think puberty will start to arrive earlier as well, for future generations?

Discuss the film and these other points. Or whether or not you, too, think Evan Rachel Wood is a babe (It's ok, she's 19 now).

Damn straight, In my elementary school I we had 4th graders being carried out for possessing drugs, this stuff will probably be real to everyone but it should be happening at such a young age, a childs innocence is something that has been ruined by the liberal media who exposes them to anything as young as they come and by a lack of parental supervision in many cases.
I watched it since there was nudity listed on the rating thing but I didn't see any. I was pretty disappointed.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Rankles

I despise that film for making people believe that our today's teenagers act like that on a grand scale. The girl was a good A student, she wouldn't suddenly be turned into a drug addled sex addict in a matter of days for the sake of some girl she thought was cool.

I absolutely hate that film on every level. I think whoever made it should be ashamed. These girls do exist, but they certainly don't become what they are based on a popularity contest. They come from dysfunctional families or have mental issues, they do not change from A student to slut overnight.

And did you notice every bad person in the film was black? What was all that about? I'm all against over the top political correctness but apart from the two main girls everybody they slept with, fought with, hung out with etc were black.

Exactly.
Although a suppose what would happen in real life wouldn't make an excellent film though

Quote by aixelsydevahi
I watched it since there was nudity listed on the rating thing but I didn't see any. I was pretty disappointed.

haha
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It's really bad if kids are having sex before they can actually get a girl pregnant, they'll keep doing it and eventually cum inside a girl and then we have even more mental fuck-ups running around.
Quote by Rankles

Agree with this, I do.

/yoda
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS

Haha. I can't say I watch R-rated dramas just for the nudity therein, but good for you.

There's a pretty long shot of Holly Hunter's tits, and (I think I saw) a very brief snippet of her bush.

Once again, though, I can't see why someone would watch a movie like Thirteen for the nudity. Why not just rent a film widely regarded as being a sleazy tit-fest, just to be sure?

Incinerate!
13.. i watched bits of it and got bored really soon...

It was quite a depressing movie though... And a good bit of it is quite true in todays society... Kids getting drunk and screwing around at young age is pretty common now days.

And Alcohol does as much damage to ur body as cigarettes n most other drugs. Alcohol completely ****s up you liver and it also dissolves the mucus lining in your stomach which protects the stomach walls from the gastric acids.
Quote by GarageGuitarist
What about puberty? Do you think puberty will start to arrive earlier as well, for future generations?

I believe that would require some sort of genetic mutation.

Anyways, kids are retarded. It's a fact of life. They're too naive t see the dangers of their actions and don't realize the lasting effects certain things can have. It's quite sad but c'est la vie.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by af_the_fragile
13.. i watched bits of it and got bored really soon...

It was quite a depressing movie though... And a good bit of it is quite true in todays society... Kids getting drunk and screwing around at young age is pretty common now days.

And Alcohol does as much damage to ur body as cigarettes n most other drugs. Alcohol completely ****s up you liver and it also dissolves the mucus lining in your stomach which protects the stomach walls from the gastric acids.

But alcohol can also serve its good purposes, red wine is good in a limited quantity. Most people enjoy an alcoholic beverage on occasion its just damaging when used like it was by those teens and like most people do at parties to get drunk, but im not judging because I would be a hypocrite if I did.
Quote by Funkbass796

If so, that's probably already been happening. I mean, my dad can't seem to believe that my friends are only fifteen sometimes, and girls definitely seem more fully developed at younger ages than they used to... maybe this is just how the media portrays them now, but I think there's something going on there.

Incinerate!
its completely unrealistic, 13 year olds who are in 7th or 8th grade dont start shooting heroin, snorting coke, mayyybe smoking weed, but they definently dont do that hard ****, for f***'s sake, theyre thirteen!! like hollywood much?!
Quote by munit
But alcohol can also serve its good purposes, red wine is good in a limited quantity. Most people enjoy an alcoholic beverage on occasion its just damaging when used like it was by those teens and like most people do at parties to get drunk, but im not judging because I would be a hypocrite if I did.

Yup, the liver can handle a bit of alcohol. It can detoxify it without damaging itself...
But you rarely find people drinking just one glass or wine or one pint of beer at parties. They drink till their bodies cant handle anymore and they throw up. That much alcohol will certainly do a good bit of damage to your liver...

And i agree on that.. 13 years olds might be having sex and getting drunk.
But i don't think they'ld be snorting coke and taking heroin... Thats over exaggeration!
Quote by munit

It's damaging everytime you ingest it. Alcohol is a poison. Sure it may not be very noticable, but it does damage none the less.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by aixelsydevahi

I'm wondering if i should put this in my sig. Hilarious.

But I've seen that movie. I'm fourteen and I'm definitely not having sex for a while, maybe 16-17 at the earliest. I'm definitely not getting into drugs at all. If anybody asks me, I'm going to say yes. then they'll hand it too me and I'll hand it back and yes, "No, wait, I like my lungs." Some chick at my old middle school had sex in sixth grade, SIXTH GRADE!!!! I mean seriously. And she did it with a high school aged kid who was in eighth grade at the time. I was like WTF. I don't like this whole young aged sex and drug abuse. It will eventually get to like third graders and when i have kids, they won't know whether or not to take drugs when they're that young. They don't know the consequences or them and i don't want to show my 8 year old kid pictures of holes in peoples body's and STD's, let alone sexual organs! This world in probably 100 years is going to be run by pot heads and sex addicts that have 14 kids that all have one name so the mom doesn't get confused.

But it's a shame really.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by Summonancer
hahaha sorry to tell you dude,
according to drug experts they recently said that if the ABC system was renewed based on facts - alcohol would be a class A drug and many drugs higher would be dropped.
LSD would be a class C.
So in my opinion it's either ok to do drugs AND drink.
Or neither.

And I pretty much think that 15 - 16 is the age where choices can be made.
Before that and people aren't ready, hell many if not MOST aren't until well after that unfortunately.

I really liked how you backed that up with sources and facts.
Drugs are a whole lot more addictive then alcohol.
Quote by Funkbass796

Anyways, kids are retarded. It's a fact of life. They're too naive t see the dangers of their actions and don't realize the lasting effects certain things can have. It's quite sad but c'est la vie.

Nope, there's evidence kids reach puberty according to how fast their brain develops (how early it recieves the sexual information) n the effects of the society they live in.

Kids in big cities like London and New York get mature more early than girls in small rural towns. Thats cuz in the big cities their brain gets the whole sexual information earlier than the kids in the rural towns. Kids getting mature earlier is also partly cause of a healthier diet.

Girls now days are reaching puberty at ages of as low as 8 as opposed to around 11 something like 10-20years ago.
Well yeah its realistic. Many people do drugs and drink by 13, and maybe 25% of kids have sex by then. I haven't seen the movie, but my gf has it (i think, atleast) it just looked like a lezbo movie to me
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Parents rarely punish kids these days, at least here. I think some kids just need a good beating with some of the attitudes i've seen. Plus, what makes a kids libido go down faster then having his mom come in and beat his ass infront of his girlfriend/boyfriend? Unless you tend to like spanking >_>
Quote by af_the_fragile
Nope, there's evidence kids reach puberty according to how fast their brain develops (how early it recieves the sexual information) n the effects of the society they live in.

Kids in big cities like London and New York get mature more early than girls in small rural towns. Thats cuz in the big cities their brain gets the whole sexual information earlier than the kids in the rural towns. Kids getting mature earlier is also partly cause of a healthier diet.

Girls now days are reaching puberty at ages of as low as 8 as opposed to around 11 something like 10-20years ago.

The thing is that most of those kids aren't mature... Physical maturity is a completely different thing that intellectual maturity, and that's where the problem lies... Even if you reach puberty at 8, you're still going to be 8 years old in your head.
Quote by JilaX^

You think alcohol is not addictive cuz when you need it, its always there for you to have! Alcohol is as addictive as any other drugs. People just dont feel the addiction cuz they keep topping up their body with it every few days/weeks in parties or just drinking.

Addiction takes a while to build up. You wont get addicted to any drug if you do it just once or a few times. You need to keep doing it till it becomes a part of your body to get addicted to it.

Addiction works when your brain stops producing the neuro-chemicals that the person is getting thru the drugs. Like the brain stops producing the chemical that makes you feel better cuz you're ingesting that chemical thru the drugs. Now that your brain has stopped producing the chemical, you need to take the drug to top up the deficiency of the chemical in your brain and you need to take the drug just to feel normal. And then you'ld hafta take more of the drug to get the high off it. Once your body reaches that state, you're addicted to the drug.

It takes time for the body to reach that stage. Alcoholics are addicted to alcohol as bad as a junkie would be addicted to coke!
Quote by JilaX^

http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Story/0,,2040886,00.html

sources. facts. have fun
Quote by REBAN primusfan
i enjoy getting boners. they make me feel important.

Quote by chubbychunks
George Lucas didn't invent Christianity, although he was a big contributor.
Quote by af_the_fragile
You think alcohol is not addictive cuz when you need it, its always there for you to have! Alcohol is as addictive as any other drugs. People just dont feel the addiction cuz they keep topping up their body with it every few days/weeks in parties or just drinking.

Addiction takes a while to build up. You wont get addicted to any drug if you do it just once or a few times. You need to keep doing it till it becomes a part of your body to get addicted to it.

Addiction works when your brain stops producing the neuro-chemicals that the person is getting thru the drugs. Like the brain stops producing the chemical that makes you feel better cuz you're ingesting that chemical thru the drugs. Now that your brain has stopped producing the chemical, you need to take the drug to top up the deficiency of the chemical in your brain and you need to take the drug just to feel normal. And then you'ld hafta take more of the drug to get the high off it. Once your body reaches that state, you're addicted to the drug.

It takes time for the body to reach that stage. Alcoholics are addicted to alcohol as bad as a junkie would be addicted to coke!

Ever seen an alcoholic get the shakes because of his addiction? (sugar and fat are just as addictive anyways>.<
Quote by JilaX^
The thing is that most of those kids aren't mature... Physical maturity is a completely different thing that intellectual maturity, and that's where the problem lies... Even if you reach puberty at 8, you're still going to be 8 years old in your head.

Thats is pretty true. Perfect example of that could be my ex. She reached puberty at an early age. Like she had boobs when no one elz in her class had grown em... So as her body had matured early, her mental maturity was still of what her actual age was. She wasn't any more mentally mature than other girls of her age. She was just physically more mature.

But then getting physically mature at an earlier age means their body gets ready for sex earlier and they keep getting all horny n feel the need for sex at an earlier age while their mind is not mature enough to calculate the risk's they're taking with having sex.

Most kids have sex cuz "it feels good" or "every one else is doing it" or "i'm 16 and i'm still a virgin!!!"