OK, so I know next to nothing about theory coz i haven't got round to learning it. But anyway, I made this riff, and I've been tearing my hair out trying to find out what key it's in so I can write the rest of the song

|-------------------------------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
|-------------------------------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
|------4------5------7-------5------4-5-|------4------5-------|-7------4------0-0--|
|------4------5------7-------5------4-5-|------4------5-------|-7------4------0-0--|
|-0-0-4-0-0-5-0-0-7-0-0-5-0-0-4-5-|-0-0-4-0-0-5-0-0-|-7-0-0-4-0-0-0-0--|

It's in drop d btw
Guitars :
Fender American Stratocaster
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
D? I am quite sure. Either that or A.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
give more of the song,that's too little
so far what you got is F#-G-A-D

you could say that it's D mayor if you want
It's in D.
D has two sharps, F and C(the same ones that the riff has). If it was A, D would also be sharp, so its definately in D.
Last edited by KillahSquirrel at Jul 6, 2007,
Quote by DeathDealer
give more of the song,that's too little
so far what you got is F#-G-A-D

you could say that it's D mayor if you want

That's just it. I have the riff, but need to know the key to write the other parts.

EDIT : Any chance someone could explain to me why it's in D?
Guitars :
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
It's in D because all the other notes are branch-offs of D.

For your purposes, though, you can just say it's D because when you play the whole riff through, then end it... D sounds the best to end it on. Good rule of thumb.
Because F and C are sharp, and nothing else is (at least from what we know), and D is the key that has only F and C sharp.
The root note your hitting is D. the 0-0 are D notes, which would potentially put you in the key of D, so if you going to solo over there anytime soon, start on the 9th fret, seeing your in Drop D...
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by nodtomc
That's just it. I have the riff, but need to know the key to write the other parts.

If you know that little about music theory, how is knowing what key it's in going to help? That seems kinda silly.

It's in D major so far. D is the note you keep going to. It's major because you've got an F# which is the major 3rd of D, G is the 4th, and A is the 5th.
Quote by ZootCst
If you know that little about music theory, how is knowing what key it's in going to help? That seems kinda silly.

It's in D major so far. D is the note you keep going to. It's major because you've got an F# which is the major 3rd of D, G is the 4th, and A is the 5th.

I do know some music theory, such as scales and stuff so if I know what key it is in, I can use the scales to make the rest of the song
Does it matter which D major scale I use?
Guitars :
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
I'd suggest you take some theory tutorials before you go ahead and try to write your own riffs mate, it'll be about 10 billion times easier If you have MSN or whatever I'll gladly send you all my notes and my key clock etc.

scottperry835 at hotmail dot com
or AIM: shh h h h im my

-sc00t
Quote by nodtomc

Does it matter which D major scale I use?

there is only 1 D major scale