i have a squier (by fender) bullet and a behringer little crappy amp i dont get very good metal or distortion tones is this because of my guitar or amp or both....thanks
Unless your guitar feels crappy, get a new amp first. Anything but an MG.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
You need both, amp first if you can't get both at the same time.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
its the amp. well, if your using the amps preset distortion, then yes, its the amp. then again,even if ur using a pedal, its still probably the amp.
Warwick 4-string
not a rockbass
a Warwick
well if your going for metal you need both dont get fender anything for metal in my oppinion id go for something with EMG pickups and if you want a good cheap amp thats good for metal get a line 6.
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
Get a better amp while you're shopping around for a guitar you like.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by taylorfrey66
well if your going for metal you need both dont get fender anything for metal in my oppinion id go for something with EMG pickups and if you want a good cheap amp thats good for metal get a line 6.

EMGs only reveal their tone on a good amp.

It's the amp.
A lot of the guitar's sound comes from the amp, so I'd say go for the amp first, then save up for a guitar upgrade, as the Bullet strat will last you long enough, I would say. Amps to go for? If you can get hold of a vox valvetronix, that's a good value-for-money, and you can get a good few sounds out of it, but it won't do extreme sounds too well (haha can also scale the amount of power you use as well, so you can just turn the wattage dwon for practices if you need to) - That'd also be down to the guitar, but the amp'll lift your sound so bloody much
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Get a new amp but stay away from Line 6 and MG's.

Give us your price range and we can recommend some amps.
If you play metal, you're in a bind. You really need both. You most certainly need a new amp, but you could also use a humbucking guitar. When it comes down to it, though, an amp will be more helpful than a guitar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...