I'm not entirely sure if this is in the correct forum, but anyway. I've been trying to improve my ears (for bass notes) and currently I've been trying to do so by recording my self playing a bunch of different notes twice in separate files. Then I put them on my ipod and put it on shuffle and try to play the note after I hear it once. I think it's working but I was wondering if anyone have a better method for ear training?
Also is there any good way to hear the bass parts of songs better? It always seems masked under the other instruments. Or will it become more apparent as my ears mature? Thanks.
Listen to songs and play what you hear, no other (good) way.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I used to think of a note, sing it and then try to find it on bass. If I hit the wrong note I'd just try again. I guess it helped a little.

But finding the bass part on some songs can be quite tricky. For example don't bother trying to hear the bassline in a Slayer song.
^ True, TS you should start off with simple songs with a loud bass.
Like Another One Bites The Dust, Politician, Come Together and the likes.

Ben Hamelech
i think the best way to get them, if you play the instrument yourself, is to pick the bassline bit by bit...

if you dont, you'll just have to create sort of "lanes" in your hear, and focus your hear on the bassline more then anything else, that way you'll be hearing the bassline more then guitqar or drums or anything... it works for me... i can hear the bass in every single song i hear... it became sort of an automatic thing for me... i dont have to turn it on or off anymore, i simply hear it now.
you can start off by watching videos of people playing and try to learn songs like that and then move on to doing it just by ear

EDIT:just a suggestion btw, dont know if it's a good one
If you want to improve your ear, don't bother listening to the bass lines. Bust out your bass and learn to play the vocal melodies by ear. It's totally unnatural, rarely uses open strings, and requires you to not only listen, but think.

But, also, I think your ear does really mature for hearing bass. But, then again, in most modern music, a lot of the bass is buried... especially for that downtuned, palm muted, double bass drummed... stuff.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ I just did that to Black Dog before logging in.

But I think its better to find basslines, because then you've not only impoved your hearing, but can now also play it with a band.

Ben Hamelech