Page 2 of 4
The Kinks are definitley underrated I think. The only song a lot of people know is "You Really Got Me"...
Quote by Paved
Definitely definitely Love.

great band just bought the dvd of forever changes absolutely brilliant,and of course the band Ichampion all the time on this forum Free to me the best band in the world ever.
Quote by YEAH BABY!
The Velvet Underground

Well, yes... The Velvet Underground are one of my favourite bands. They're underrated, but it's gotten a lot better with garage revival and stuff. More and more bands mention them in interviews and so, so it has gotten a lot better over the last 10 years. It was rejected in the 60's because it was "nihilistic". The Velvet Underground & Nico which, arguably, is the best and most influetial album of the past 50 years only sold barely 300 000 records. So, they were definitely underrated in the 60's. But like I said, it has gotten better.

Another and that comes to my mind is Television. Perhaps not as groundbreaking or influential as VU, but definitely worth mentioning. Everybody should check out their debut, Marquee Moon. It's brilliant, genius.

EDIT: Oh, and 13th Floor Elevators. One of the first psychadelic rock bands. Sooo underrated.
Last edited by European Son at Jul 9, 2007,
The first band that came to my mind was the Guess Who. They really are a good band and had some good hits like American Women but of everyone who hears Lenny Kravits version no one thinks of the Guess Who. Some other bands have already been mentioned but i'll say them again like BTO, The Kinks, and also the James Gang
My Gear
Squier Fat Strat Affinity Series
Jackson DK2 Dinky (Trans Red)
Epiphone DR-100

Fender Frontman 15w
Marshall MG50DFX
Blackfoot
The Guess Who
Member of Lynyrd Skynyrd club, PM ledhed68 or i(ncubus)play to join
I take it not many of you are Canadian. The Guess Who are ****in' huge! The new Bachman-Cummings album is getting one hell of a lot of airplay.

And to add a few that probably haven't been mentioned, Arlo Guthrie, Donovan, Otis Redding, Booker T. and the MGs, Chilliwack, J.J. Cale, The Mamas and the Papas, Billy Preston and The Fabulous Thunderbirds.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Otis Redding? Underrated? I don't know about that.....
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Joszan7
Blackfoot
The Guess Who

saw blackfoot in the eighties at the newcastle mayfair they were a great band, they were on with rose tattoo (ac/dc wannabees)
The Kinks
Bert Jansch
Nick Drake
Big Star
The 13th Floor Elevators
Television
The Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Gene Clark
Tim Buckley
Roy Harper
Love
Quote by European Son
Well, yes... The Velvet Underground are one of my favourite bands. They're underrated, but it's gotten a lot better with garage revival and stuff. More and more bands mention them in interviews and so, so it has gotten a lot better over the last 10 years. It was rejected in the 60's because it was "nihilistic". The Velvet Underground & Nico which, arguably, is the best and most influetial album of the past 50 years only sold barely 300 000 records. So, they were definitely underrated in the 60's. But like I said, it has gotten better.

Another and that comes to my mind is Television. Perhaps not as groundbreaking or influential as VU, but definitely worth mentioning. Everybody should check out their debut, Marquee Moon. It's brilliant, genius.

EDIT: Oh, and 13th Floor Elevators. One of the first psychadelic rock bands. Sooo underrated.

you know it.

and i'll say T.Rex

13th floor elevators....im not sure if their underrated or not but they werent super huge so...
Quote by European Son

I adore them! I really don't know why they are labeled as punk though, they are hardly punk musicians, they are far more talented and don't do your usual punk songs.

I would also like to mention The Zombies, their most known album, Odessey & Oracle is my third favourite sixties album behind Revolver and Abbey Road. That album is incredible, and a lot of I know who are even in to sixties music have no clue who they are. They deserve a lot more recognition.

I also don't think Syd Barrett and early Pink Floyd get enough recognition. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn again, is an album that I love, and not that many other people know, but loads of people know Dark Side of the Moon etc.

Public Image Ltd., John Lydon's other project, in my opinion, were far, far better than The Sex Pistols.
Quote by Small Print
I adore them! I really don't know why they are labeled as punk though, they are hardly punk musicians, they are far more talented and don't do your usual punk songs.

I second that. More refined and melodical than many other proto-punk outfits! I'd also recommend their second album titled Adventure as well as Tom Verlaine's solo projects, for instance, Flash Light.
Last edited by Realist at Jul 12, 2007,
Quote by Realist
I second that. More refined and melodical than many other post-punk outfits! I'd also recommend their second album titled Adventure as well as Tom Verlaine's solo projects, for instance, Flash Light.

I'd love to, but around here, there isn't any record shops and I can't find it in HMV, and I've got no way of buying off the internet (no credit or bank card). I'm having the same problem with Neutral Milk Hotel's albums aswell, I've heard a few of their songs and I want the album. But that's for another thread.
I hope you'll dig them out as it happens The good news is that there are people that appreciate them
Rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore's) but then you need to be either a guitarist or guitar lover to fully appriciate it. Rising all the way. LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
seriously, each of Wishbone Ash's first 5 albums are amazing. especially Argus. but they never ever get any credit. everyone here should go check them out right...NOW
I always thought of Television as a proto-punk band. And I agree that early Pink Floyd don't get enough recognition.
^ Oh, you're right about Television. However wouldn't say that early PF didn't get enough recognition. Many people worship Barretts' psychedeliс era...
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I always thought of Television as a proto-punk band. And I agree that early Pink Floyd don't get enough recognition.

Don't know really if I would count them as proto-punk. For me, proto punk bands are bands like The Velvet Underground and The Stooges. Some say Post-Punk, but that's just a misconception IMO. How could they be post-punk when they formed even before the Ramones? I think Art-Punk would be a pretty good description, but some say that that whole genre is just a misconception in itself.
Yeah, Television didn't really have a punk edge to their music, both lyrically and musically. I guess their early pre- Marquee Moon stuff with Hell on bass was a lot more raw and garagey and influenced a lot of the New York bands. But along with the Talking Heads they were more a kin to the new-wave and post-punk bands of the late 70's.

Still Television > most bands.
Quote by radio_schizo
Yeah, Television didn't really have a punk edge to their music, both lyrically and musically. I guess their early pre- Marquee Moon stuff with Hell on bass was a lot more raw and garagey and influenced a lot of the New York bands. But along with the Talking Heads they were more a kin to the new-wave and post-punk bands of the late 70's.

Still Television > most bands.

You speak the truth.
The one Band that dosen't get as much respect as it deserves is the Lynyrd Skynyrd Band. For one, people don't spell it right ( 4 Y's). All people think when they hear the name is Free Bird or Sweet Home Alabama, instead of their great repitoir of great songs such as Saturday Night Special, Gimme Three Steps, Gimme Back My Bullets, or even You Got That Right. If you just picked up any one of the original linup's albums and listen to it, you would be amazed by the songs that are on it

Oh yeah Traffic and Triumph too.

And Sweet and Styx.

Molly Hatchet. Not Just Flitirting with Disaster and Dreams I'll Never See. Just listen to their Greatest Hits.
Not to mention the cool artwork.

And what about Bad Company.
Last edited by SwampMusic at Jul 31, 2007,
Billy Squier is pretty good. His Don't Say No album has a lot of good songs on it. He also had some other hits.

What about Eddie Money
I'm going to have to say The Pretty Things, I mean just listen to SF Sorrow, it is amazing.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
the kinks, ten years after and the yardbirds all were great bands, the kinks were well known but no one seems to give a rats ass about them, and the yardbirds were an early english blues band that are credited with the first psychodelic song ever(1966's happenings ten years time ago) hows that for under rated, not to mention having clapton , beck, and jimmy page at different stages in their lineup
Seatrain
Earth Opera
Beacon Street Union
Amanaz
Ant Trip Ceremony
Advancement
American Blues Exchange
Aphrodite's Child
Armando Piazza
Ash Ra Tempel
Baby Grandmothers
Blackfeather
Blossom Toes
Blue Cheer
Blues Magoos
Blues Project
Bo Grumpus
Bo Hansson
Bow Street Runners
Brainticket
Bubble Puppy
CA Quintet
Captain Beefheart
Captain Beyond
Children of the Mushroom
Chocolate Watchband
Clear Light
Cold Sun
Country Joe & The Fish
Curved Air
Damon
D.R. Hooker
Dr. John
Electric Banana
Electric Flag
Electric Prunes
Fallen Angels
Faperdokly
Fifty Foot Hose
Fraction
Gabor Szabo
Gandalf
Gary Higgins
Golden Dawn
Gong
Great Society
Group 1850
H.P. Lovecraft
Insect Trust
Ithaca
John Berberian and The Rock East Emsamble
July
Kaleidoscope
Kennelmus
King Crimson
Lazy Smoke
Love
Mad River
Mark Fry
Millennium
Mountain Bus
Neon Pearl
Nirvana
Os Mutantes
Paper Garden
Phantasia
Plastic Cloud
Pretty Things
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Relatively Clean Rivers
Rodriguez
Rory Gallagher
Roy Buchanan
Spike Drivers
Spirit
Ten Years After
These Trails
Tomorrow
Traffic Sound
Ultimate Spinach
United States of America
Wishbone Ash
Yatha Sihra
Zerfas
I think King Crimson missed out on the whole popularity of prog rock, all while being the ones who were pushing the genre forward. It amuses me that people who love Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and so on have never heard of King Crimson.
"We are a metal band. Metal is brutal, metal vocals are brutal. I want some coffee."
Blue oyster cult. Theres so much more to them than Don't fear the reaper.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
On this board? Pretty much every good (IMO) classic rock band with the exception of The Who, Pink Floyd and maybe a few more. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, The Velvet Underground, Van Morrison etc. all don't get enough love.

All those acts get plenty of love.