The other day I was wondering when deaf people think or read, can they hear a voice in thier head?

I mean if you were born "normal" and got deaf with age or whatever you would still hear a voice because you're used to it right. But if you were born deaf, you wouldn't know what sound is, so you wouldn't hear a voice right?

Also, when you read do you hear your voice or what you imagine the writer's voice to sound like?
I read in my mind hearing my own voice but I have wondered that too, If deaf people have sounds in their head. I'm pretty sure they do because their brain probably has the capability to produce sounds at whatever part of the brain does that but not be able to take in any sounds.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Haha I've actually wondered that too. I guess the only way to find out is to ask a deaf person....
i'm guessing they would just comprehend the words, so they don't need a voice. Like sign language, there is no accompanying (sp?) voice, you just get the message of what is trying to be said.
Quote by Rhitard
The other day I was wondering when deaf people think or read, can they hear a voice in thier head?

I mean if you were born "normal" and got deaf with age or whatever you would still hear a voice because you're used to it right. But if you were born deaf, you wouldn't know what sound is, so you wouldn't hear a voice right?

Also, when you read do you hear your voice or what you imagine the writer's voice to sound like?

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. If you have never heard a sound you won't be able to hear it in your head.
Quote by Shredder6
I read in my mind hearing my own voice but I have wondered that too, If deaf people have sounds in their head. I'm pretty sure they do because their brain probably has the capability to produce sounds at whatever part of the brain does that but not be able to take in any sounds.

Yeah I've wondered that as well. Have you seen some documentary about neglected kids or soemthing like that? Well there was one girl who was kept in a small dark room from when she was born til she was found at 13. By then she had never interacted with anyone and when they did a scan they found parts of her brain had broken down beyond repair because it hadn't been stimulated enough. So maybe a deaf persons brain could have some sort of broken tissues or something? :S

Quote by LHOOQ
Haha I've actually wondered that too. I guess the only way to find out is to ask a deaf person....
i'm guessing they would just comprehend the words, so they don't need a voice. Like sign language, there is no accompanying (sp?) voice, you just get the message of what is trying to be said.

Haha I've actually tried reading without hearing a voice but it's just impossible. I wonder how they do it.
They wouldn't know how the words sound though. They'd just associate the words / symbols with meanings and not as audiable sounds. They'd probably think in "words" not voices
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'm pretty sure you don't think in a certain language, because you can still think when you are small and do not know a language, and you wouldn't think in English yet because you don't know what any of the noises they are saying means.

You think in Brainspeak.

Yeah.
Hmm. Good question. That's like asking where the pictures are, or how you can see the picture when you have your eyes closed and are visualising it in your head. Also, sometimes when I have a song stuck in my head, it's my voice (only singing good), and other times it's like I'm listening to the actual song, but when I realise I am it snaps back to my voice. It's weird.
i hear voices in my head almost all the time.... but i take pills for that
Quote by Rhitard

if you'd gone deaf after you'd learned to talk/understand people, then you probably would. but if you were born deaf, then you have no impression of what sound is like (unless you got a cochlear implant)
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by MakinLattes
everyone thinks in a language. those who are deaf think in sign language.

woah.
Quote by MakinLattes
everyone thinks in a language. those who are deaf think in sign language.

so does that mean when deaf people think they picture hands signing out what they are thinking?
those I know, yes.

as it been said, it really depends if someone is born cognitively deaf (about 1 in a 1000 children), or if you become deaf later in life, after having being exposed to a vocal language.
Yeah, I hear my own voice in my head, and when I think about stuff I'm unsure of, it's like talking to myself, but having a proper conversation...
also, when I read, it's my voice, unless it's someone speaking, or it's from a firts-person perspective, then I just make up voices I guess.
If you think about it... say some one made a sign language symbol directed at you (Theoretically speaking - you could understand it) then you would have the little voice in the back of your mind talking it back to you, just like when you read a book etc.
people associate words with concepts or objects. the same applies to words in ASL or another sign language.
no, there is no voice in a blind man's head.

though there is a marquee scrolling across so they can read their thoughts. this is why so many blind people get in car wrecks, they're too busy reading.
Quote by Avopeac
this is why so many blind people get in car wrecks

...phail?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Avopeac
no thanks, i'm on a horse.

ah, so I thought...
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
thats a very good point.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
ahhh ive got it didn't read all the posts but about half so if its been said damn it but mabye they think in pictures then like voices as some one said they speak sign langauge so they picture the sign buy memory mabye? i thought it was a good answer
Quote by beetroot10
buy memory

blind people don't need memory, they're banned from computers.
Did anyone hear about the blind man who got caught drunk driving? I mean come on the stick out the window tapping the cars in front should be enough, but no, let's charge him for being drunk at the wheel
Quote by Rhitard
Did anyone hear about the blind man who got caught drunk driving? I mean come on the stick out the window tapping the cars in front should be enough, but no, let's charge him for being drunk at the wheel

its not possible to charge him for that, because a blind person wouldnt have a driving license would they? the drunk driving penalty will only apply to a person that is a certified driver.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
its not possible to charge him for that, because a blind person wouldnt have a driving license would they? the drunk driving penalty will only apply to a person that is a certified driver.

Argh I can't find the article for it. But there's some other incidents like that.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002460186,00.html

She was put on probation for six months, banned from driving for 30 months and ordered on an alcohol awareness course. No one was hurt in the accident

Wtf, she's partially blind yet she can drive again in 30 months?

And this one

Collier admitted a charge of reckless driving, and was banned from driving for two years. Which suggests, rather worryingly, that in two years time it'll be just fine for him to drive again

Stupid judges :|