MF has a Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack for around $400. Anyone know if they are good for that price?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796

I really don't need all that power...but I cant resist getting a nice half stack to show off when my cousins come by lol
plus it would look great in my recording studio.

I may pick one up at a local store though so I don't have to pay $70 shipping from MF.

So yea I'm just a home studio and just need something that will have fair cleans and fair distortion...
I mostly use FX from a Yamaha magicstomp and so that brings a lot of my good distortion into my guitar playing.
That being said, I guess having a good clean channel is most important to me.

So yea, any info on this amp and if its good for the price would be great.

Thanks.
Studio + solid state half stack = no

If you want a mediocre tone to gig with, then go ahead.

Getting a half stack (especially SS) for recording is a poor idea.
i have one...lol...umm hold on to your money, or invest in a pedal...and play it over the clean channel...the other channels are loud and hiss...alot...and they really don't have great sound...so try one out before you buy
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
yeah those stacks are ****, dont even bother.i have played those a ton, cuz all my nub freinds have um and having a half stack to look kool and not having it for tone is the dumbest thing u could ever do with ur money. but if u want it get it, youd be better off with a nice hybid combo like a randall in that price range.
The fact that you want an amp b/c it looks cool makes me sad. That said, that would be the ONLY good reason to buy that amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Im only recording at the house for fun...not anything major so Tube amps are not a must for me...although they do sound great IMO.

anyways
any other suggestions on an amp...preferabily a half stack for around the same price...or even for a max of $500?
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 6, 2007,
Why must it be a half stack? You can get a much better amp if you're willing to buy a combo.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
yea just had some looking around...theres not many choices for tube half stacks for my price range. I really like the looks of the half stack amps but sound is more important than looks..

So my next choise is a combo amp....
it could even be a hybrid of those sound fairly good

edit, I wouldnt even need anything more than 30W because i dont do gigs.

How about something like the Kustom HV30?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-HV-30-30W-High-Voltage-TubeHybrid-1x12-Combo?sku=480797
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 6, 2007,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334
this amp would work well, my fiend has it and i have used it a lot and its really nice for the money you pay, it gets loud too for band practice and such, and IMO does a pretty good job of recording, i got some pretty sick tone outta this ***** when i recorded it, although there r some other options that would also be good, but youall have to look and try to play some at ur music sotre if possible
Quote by garden of grey
Used 5150 1x12 combo > all

i dont think they make those
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by garden of grey
Used 5150 1x12 combo > all

I don't think that exists. They've always been 2x12s or heads.

I think for the most part, that when your budget is less than $1000, it's really best to get a good combo, because the quality of a sub $1000 combo will usually be better than a sub $1000 halfstack bought new. I mean, I wouldn't buy most heads under $1000 new, most of them don't appeal to me.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
i dont think they make those

Typo

If there is a 1x12 5150 that is awesome, though.
Quote by moody07747
I really don't need all that power...but I cant resist getting a nice half stack to show off when my cousins come by lol

why would you want to pretend to your cousins that you have a bigger dick than you really do?

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by moody07747
That Randall looks great for its price. I think ill be spending my money on that amp.

yea those randalls are A LOT nicer than the crate u were lookin at, good choice, but see if u can play it before u buy to see if u like it enuff to get it, but i would still recommend it even if u dont try it.
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
Quote by Dave_Mc
why would you want to pretend to your cousins that you have a bigger dick than you really do?

o_O

Toshay!

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
this toshay thing is amazing. i even put it in my sig!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?