I have a general idea about it, it's connecting various guitar effects together w/ '6 guitar cables that have angled connectors right? Why do guitarists do this? What's the point? And how come only certain cable companies have '6 angled connector cables? Monster doesn't make them.
How else do you think you are going to have more than one effect???

The signal has to get from your guitar to your amp, and if you want to have more than one pedal in the chain, you need short cables to connect them - the angled jacks just make it easier to keep them close together.
Daisy chaining is done because generally you can just use one pedal, or even just one adapter, to power 2-6 pedals. This is preferred because buying 2-6 separate adapters for each pedal is pricey. So, if your pedals all have roughly the same power usage and such, you can just hook them all up on a "daisy chain" and voila! Power! There's a couple different methods:

- Buy a pedal with a power in and a power out. Adapter goes in the power in. Daisy chain goes in the power out, and links to the rest of your pedals.
- Buy just the adapter, and then connect the daisy chain directly to that, and then to the rest of the pedals.

Each method requires a slightly different daisy chain (the first setup will all have "female" ends, whereas the first has all female and one male. I'll let you guess which is a female end and which a male).

Either way, go into a guitar shop with your pedals, ask them to give you a hand showing you how to daisy chain them together. Try to explain the second method and ask them if it will work, as it's generally cheaper (method 1 you have to possibly buy a pedal (like the Boss tuner pedal) or whatever, which gets pricey). The second method only requires a $30 adapter, and a $10 daisy chain.

Oh, and different companies make different cables/daisy chains because they try to discourage you from messing with their cable/pedal systems (the only make cables/daisy's specific to their own brand's set up). The reason they do this, is well, it's a money grab. They're trying to force you to do it in a way which requires you to spend more money. However, as most brands are compatible with each other, you don't necessarily have to fall for this gimmick.

Good luck!

Note: Yeah, the angle cables are just to connect each pedal to each other in series. Once the pedals are all hooked together in a row, plug your guitar into the one end, and your amp into the other (making sure the guitar's going into an input, and the amp to an output).
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by lawinnn
I have a general idea about it, it's connecting various guitar effects together w/ '6 guitar cables that have angled connectors right? Why do guitarists do this? What's the point? And how come only certain cable companies have '6 angled connector cables? Monster doesn't make them.

That's not daisy chaining, that's just connecting effects together. The shorter the cable, the less sound problems you'll get. The reason monster doesn't make 6 inch cables is because they make 8 inch cables, that's just the way they decide to make them. Guitarists do it when they need more than one effect, for example, they have a wah pedal, and a delay. Using a 12 foot cord is just wasting money.

Daisy chaining applies to taking one power adaptor, and using a daisy chain (one cable with a few power plugs for pedals on it) to power them all.

Attach the following to a power adapter, This is a daisy chain.

Daisy Chained pedals, notice the power plugs for the pedals? It's alot easier to use one power supply and a daisy chain, instead of 8 or so separate power supplies.

You can also see the 3 inch cables used to connect the cables to each other. Longer cables would just make it hard to organize. The only artist I know of hat uses really long cables for his effects is John Mayer.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 7, 2007,
^Those look very neat!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
So, all the pedals are powered by ONE source? And what about just connecting effects, you know, the way I myself explained it w/ my first post? I have never tried just 'connecting' effects together w/ 6' angled cables...and if I did? Would that do anything?

So, I should use Daisy Chaining if I need more than one effect in a song? So I can switch to a different effect smoothly??
Quote by lawinnn
So, all the pedals are powered by ONE source? And what about just connecting effects, you know, the way I myself explained it w/ my first post? I have never tried just 'connecting' effects together w/ 6' angled cables...and if I did? Would that do anything?

So, I should use Daisy Chaining if I need more than one effect in a song? So I can switch to a different effect smoothly??

It's just connecting effects together. There's no real significance to using 6 inch or 3 inch cables. You can use a 50 foot if you want. I don't think you even understand the basic concept of effects. you can use more than one effect at a time.

Your setup is from guitar to amp. That's it. You can put an effect in there, and then it would be guitar>effect>amp. Obviously, if you want another effect, then it will go guitar>effect 1>effect 2> amp.

The only way to connect the effects together is to use cables of some sort.

Daisy chains just make it easier to power up your board. You can use all batteries in your effects, you can use some with batteries, and power the rest of the effects with a power adaptor. It has nothing to do with how "smoothly" you switch your effects.

an angled cable is the same thing as a straight cable, a 60 foot does the same thing a 10 foot does.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Ok..let's say I have Guitar to Big Muff to Amp...There's no batteries in the Big Muff, yet it still works. Then let's say I want to connect a Phase 100...so then Guitar to Big Muff to Phase 100 to amp. W/ no batteries in the phase 100, will it still work? I mean, I can just connect a load of effects w/ 6' guitar cables and they would all be powered???
No, the daisy chain allows you to plug a single power adapter into multiple pedals. You'll still have to plug the chain into all of the effects. Think of a daisy chain like connecting a bunch of power strips together.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

A guy in a music store once told me that daisy chaining isn't a good idea cos you loose power as you go down the chain. Is this true?

Also, do you need an adaptor with a certain Ma rating to daisy chain from?
When it comes to mA, you just gotta make sure that each pedals mA usage added up, doesn't exceed the mA allowance of your adaptor. Like, one pedal might be 100mA, another 200mA, so the total is 300mA. If you have an adaptor only 200mA for that, then it won't neccesarily "stop working", but your pedals won't get enough power than what they should have.
When there isn't enough available current, think of it as a battery dying down, which some people like in a distortion pedal, it makes it dirtier. The guy in the music store is an idiot. He just called Frusciante's pedal board a bad idea. As long as you have enough current availale, you'll be good to go.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yeah, the guy was probably trying to get me to buy one one of his power supplies which are more expensice. So I just need an a daptor with a decently high mA rating, and a daisy chaining cable?
The one spot is about 1.7 amps, which is more than what most people need. He shouldn't have told you that daisy chaining was a bad idea. Many guitarists do it, and it's more reliable than separate power supplies or batteries.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12