Page 1 of 2
I was just wonder, whats the best Mesa Boogie amp you can get for 1000 USD at the most? Thanks.
Would purchasing used mesa's be okay with you?

You can really broaden up your choices if you go used. I know a couple people here in Honolulu who sell their mesa's for around a grand!

And yes, I'm from Honolulu, as well.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Maybe...an F30 or F50 combo? They are very overlooked and underrated, i would try one out before you buy though, not to everyones tastes, and could easily get one used for that price!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Trem-o-verb or rectoverb, Stiletto I's, and if you're lucky, the Express series would go for less than $1k used. F series is good too, they got replaced by the Express.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 7, 2007,
By the way, I'm looking for something suited towards metal and hard rock, sorry I forgot to mention that!
I doubt you can wrong in that region with Mesa! They are awesome for that, aside from the lonestar/lonestar special...
Diezel, Motherfucker
So how much is one of those Express 5:25 combos? I can't seem to find prices on Mesas very easily...
Last edited by JoeBender at Jul 7, 2007,
grailtone.com's boogie board message boards have price lists. Mesa doesn't advertise them online. The 5:50's cost about $1199, and the 5:25 might be somewhere around there.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

And...

my comment was completley ignored...

ALL RIGHT, I SEE HOW IT IS.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
i know you said $US1000 most, but i think it would be better in the long run to hold back and get a used dual rectifier (or something similar). I think i read they go for about $1000-1400 second hand. Not 100% sure though, I'm not from the US.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
i don't know US prices but you might be able to get a DC or Mark III combo.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
^almost as much as a dual recto I think. The Single comes as a combo too though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yeah I see a lot of the Mark III combos for ~$700. The single rectifier head can be had for $700-900ish. Not so often I see a dual rec for $1000. Also, the DC combos are usually around $800. All used prices.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Quote by mh400nt
Maybe...an F30 or F50 combo? They are very overlooked and underrated, i would try one out before you buy though, not to everyones tastes, and could easily get one used for that price!

That's my suggestion. The F series has been discontinued, but I've seen a leftover F50 in the Guitar Center by me for $899. Nice amp for what you're looking to do.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Sadly there is no such thing as a New mesa boogie under $1,000.

You can find The F series on ebay, used for anywhere from $650-$900,
Nomad series, which is better than the F series for about $800-$1,200
Occasionally you can find a stiletto for about $900-$1,500
Single Rectos from $900+
Dual from $1,100+
and Triples $1,200+
Mark III Blue stripes are about $800-$900, Red Stripes are about $100 less
Mark IV's are roughly $1,200-$1,600, another $300 for rackmout sized.

You might also consider the Recording rectifier rackmount. Pair it up with a 25, 50, or 100 watt power amp section and Midi Floorboard and you'd be in heaven. That would cost about $1,800 though...

I forgot to ask, are you looking for a halfstack, combo, or anything specifically. My F-100 Head was $700 used, and my B-52 cabinet was $350 (whole thing for $1,050 which is an exceptional value for a mesa halfstack)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jul 7, 2007,
MKiv rack mount heads actually go for cheaper than small heads lately. i've seen 3 go for 800
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Jinskee
And yes, I'm from Honolulu, as well.

stop hitting on the other users.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slatsmania
That's my suggestion. The F series has been discontinued, but I've seen a leftover F50 in the Guitar Center by me for $899. Nice amp for what you're looking to do.

new?

dang, they're like £1200 ($2400) here. and you guys wonder why i hate mesa...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
stop hitting on the other users.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
new?

I'm saving up for the express series, $1300 new
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
garg.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jinskee
And...

my comment was completley ignored...

ALL RIGHT, I SEE HOW IT IS.

I read yours I swear!!

I'm just wondering, there has to be SOME difference between different Mesas right? I mean, are any more suited to metal than others, or do they pretty much all cover that equally as well (save for the Lonestar, which I think someone said wasn't good for metal)?
Last edited by JoeBender at Jul 7, 2007,
^ yeah, they'll all sound a bit different, some more than others.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JoeBender
I read yours I swear!!

I'm just wondering, there has to be SOME difference between different Mesas right? I mean, are any more suited to metal than others, or do they pretty much all cover that equally as well (save for the Lonestar, which I think someone said wasn't good for metal)?

bascially how its seen with the current line up

Rectos- loose, punchy sound, really aggressive. Maybe nto the best cleans but it has balls. These include rectos, roadsters and roadkings

Lonestare- a true class a amp sereis. Cleans based off fenders. Not really metal per se but i know some shred artist that use them and sound amazing

Mark/dc Sereis- Versitilty. tight. can be agressive when needed

F sereis- Versitlile but not to the point of the marks. In bewteen a lonestar and recto. Cleans are better than rectos, but not as good as lonestars. Gain higher than lonestar but not as much as mark and recots

Express- Versitile for lower gain , but lacks the high gain department.. great concept.
^^^ Thanks man, that was really helpful! Sounds like I'm looking for some kind of Rectifier model, and for my needs, I'm probably wanting a combo. Would one of those Rect-O-Verb combos be good?
the rectoverb of tremo verb. Personally i love the tremoverb. Greatest cleans of any recto series

also check out f like said before and the Dual calibers
Quote by lawinnn
Newbie here, sorry. What's a combo?

an amp with a built-in speaker.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
new?

Wow. I never knew that Laneys and ENGLs aren't even that ridiculous here in the 'States. I understand your Mesa bashing now
^ yeah. here in the uk for a lot of stuff it's just like they think of a price and double it. It gets annoying when you're scrimping and saving and someone's using a big chunk of that to finance a second swimming pool.

I don't mind people fairly earning big salaries, but when it's just inflating the prices...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they'd be damn lucky. i was lucky to get mine for 1.1k. but under 1k?
So are the MIII any good? How are they compared to the MIV?

IS it that painfull to dial in decent metal sounds out of it? And how heavy is it?
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
Quote by mexican_shred
MKiv rack mount heads actually go for cheaper than small heads lately. i've seen 3 go for 800

I have yet to see that.

The Dual Recto rackmounts go for a rediculous amount over the regular ones (about $1,800)

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Dave_Mc
new?

Brand new the F-100 series was $1,100 in US.
Single recto was $1,400, Dual $1,700, Triple $1,800

and thats all I remember.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Page 1 of 2