Guys..

I keep looking at all-tube amp models, and I'm seeing a bunch of different numbers of either preamp or output tubes. Is there a huge benefit to having say, 4 preamps, and 4 outputs, as opposed to 4 preamps, and 2 outputs? Or is it dependent upon the way the tubes are utilised by the amp?
The amount of power tubes helps to determine the wattage. the more power tubes there are, the greater the wattage. Generally there are 3 commonly used power tubes in tube amps, EL84's, EL34's, and 6L6's. They each have different variations that give different wattages.

EL84's generally give between 5-7 watts each, 6L6's usually give 20 watts each, and EL34's give about 25. However, the way the amp is built usually determines the final wattage.

Preamp tubes have different uses. Some drive the fx loop, some drive the reverb, and so on. The ones that impact the sound the most, are the tubes that act as gain stages, and power the preamps, and act as phase inverters. Contrary to popular belief, more preamp tubes usually give MORE clean headroom, however, depending on how they are used, more preamp tubes can give more gain too.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 7, 2007,
Hmmmm..

Basically, I'm comparing an Ashdown Fallen Angel 40DSP (40w), and a Peavey Valveking 112 (50w)

Ashdown:
# Pre-Amp Tubes 4 x 12AX7
# Output Tubes 6 x EL34 fixed bias

Peavey:
# Pre-Amp Tubes 3 x 12AX7
# Output Tubes 2 x 6L6GC

Is there any chance that the Ashdown uses 3 dedicated EL34's, per channel.. instead of sharing them?

I'm a biologist, so I'm so lost on all of this.
There aren't many amps that use an odd number of power tubes (not counting amps with one power tube, there are lots of those). The ashdown CAN'T have 6 EL34 tubes, that would equal about 150 watts of power.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 7, 2007,
Scrap that.. I've just got the specs straight from the website..

Pre-Amp Tubes 4 x 12AX7 with DC heaters for low-noise
Output Tubes 4 x EL84 fixed bias

To be honest, the site also says that the 60w model uses 6xEL34.. so they've probably cocked-up somewhere =/
I'm pretty sure that's wrong, they may have messed up, because they do have a 180 watt head, which takes 6 el34's I think.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

So.. whatever configuration the two amps use, the overall output is similar (40w vs. 50w), so I can kind of ignore the output tube config.. and the only thing I really need to be mindful of, is the preamp section? Both use the same tubes in the preamp, but the Ashdown has DFX built-in, so will this account for the difference in tube number?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANND.. in that case, does it actually matter which I choose? (from a tube perspective)
Go with the Ashdown, not because of the number of tubes, but because it's the nicer amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^^ but i heard the old ashdowns are better than the new DFX ones, and used is ALWAYS the way to go
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!