i'm thinking about buying the X2N for my Ibanez S470 (bridge position)
has anyone got any experience with this pickup in a mahogany bodied guitar?
if so good points? bad points?
i play pretty high gain stuff through a Laney VC30-212

thanks in advance
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Hmmm... It's a great pickup, but it's somewhat of an 80's relic. It was designed when people NEEDED a huge output from their guitar to overdrive a tube amp. Since then, amp design has come a long way, and so have other pickup designs. I'd be tempted to say to get a slightly better voiced pickup, then a smooth overdrive pedal.
well my amp (Laney VC30) is not a high gain amp if i remember correctly
is there any way of wiring it so it isn't as noisy? cause it's gonna be wired to a 5-way typical Ibanez style

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez JS1200CA
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
As long as you're running through a noise gate, you should be okay.

You might shoot me for asking this, but have you considered going active? Something like an EMG81 or a Seymour Duncan LiverWire would complement a mahogany body perfectly, and have tonnes of gain to drive your amp.
Quote by -MintSauce-

You might shoot me for asking this, but have you considered going active? Something like an EMG81 or a Seymour Duncan LiverWire would complement a mahogany body perfectly, and have tonnes of gain to drive your amp.

my S470s body is too thin to house the battery unit so it'd have to be externally powered

also (i don't know about the LiveWire) but the EMG won't go into the 5 way selector
as the pickup selection is like this:

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/t_pu_5w.jpg

& i use position 4 a fair bit

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez JS1200CA
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
You 'could' wire it up to a 5-way, but you're right, you'd lose any splitting options. The LiveWires are basically the SD active units, so they'd be out of the question too.

Where are you buying the pickup from?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp102f.htm £50 w/ free shipping to the UK.

You can't lose anything by trying one anyway, then eBaying it if needed. Those things are pretty rare, and still go for a fair bit. You might even make some money

What about a Bill Lawrence L-500XL?
yeah i were thinking about that
originally i wanted a SD SH-8 (Invader) but got disueded
its either the Bill Lawrence L500XL or the DiMarzio X2N
im gonna buy it from a local shop, its about £80 for the pickup (incl. fitting & re-string)

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez JS1200CA
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Quote by -MintSauce-

Noise reducer... Noise gates do nothing other than cut your signal after the input drops below a certain level.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Noise reducer... Noise gates do nothing other than cut your signal after the input drops below a certain level.

Most noise gates, like the Boss NS-2, can either reduce or mute, depending on which you select. Don't punish me on semantics.
i haven't tried the x2n, but from what i hear, it was a joke which caught on because, er, people are morons.

i'd consider something like a swineshead venom, liable to be better, and cheaper too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cheers for the advice
any other pickups i should look at?
what about Bareknuckle?

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez JS1200CA
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
^ if you're willing to go to that money, i doubt you'd go far wrong with the bridge version of the miracle man.

That being said, if you are considering them, you'll get much better advice on their forums. Lots of helpful guys there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
tbh im thinking down the lines of DiMarzio or Bareknuckle

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez JS1200CA
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
unless you've tried them and they do the exact tone you have in your head, to be honest i wouldn't bother with dimarzio in the UK, they're far too dear for what they are (mass-produced machine-wound pickups). Swineshead are head and shoulders above them (IMO) for a lot less cash. And if you are willing to go to Dimarzio money, just fork out a little extra for bareknuckle or similar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by im_atheist
my S470s body is too thin to house the battery unit so it'd have to be externally powered

Have you opened up your S470 and looked? There should be enough room to fit in the 9V battery, they're not that large.

There's definately enough room in my S520 to fit one, anyway.

But yeah, if you're thinking of getting Bareknuckles I don't think you can go far wrong
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
Have you opened up your S470 and looked? There should be enough room to fit in the 9V battery, they're not that large.

There's definately enough room in my S520 to fit one, anyway.

But yeah, if you're thinking of getting Bareknuckles I don't think you can go far wrong

im really not a fan of active pickups
dont fond of the cleans at all

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez JS1200CA
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
if you like Chuck Schuldiner's tone you will love the X2N
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10