Hi,
for the last two years I didn't touch my nylonstring guitar at all, I prefered the electric one. Now I want to start again to play classic guitar. So today I bought D'Addario "Pro Arté" Strings. Hard Tension, Silverplated Wound. The problem is, that the open A-string sounds like a Sitar. It sounds metallic and the harmonics are very penetrant, no matter how I tune the string, but only if i play the open string.

It's a Hanika from 1996, not the cheapest one, but no high-end product. It was stored in a cushioned hardcase all the time.
The musicstore is closed already, but I planned to play the whole weekend. I have tucked a cigarette filter close to the bridge ...that looks like a crap and does not sound very well...

Does anyone know if the problem is the string itself, the bridge or anything else?
Pics and a sound sample might help. You might have the strings on wrong. I have no clue why it would sound like a sitar. If you can't fix it, take advantage of it.
Last edited by confusius at Jul 7, 2007,
The way you described it as only with the open string, sounds like a problem with how the string is sitting on the nut. My friend has the same problem except its the bridge causing the sitar effect.
wow, fast replies. Thank you!
Sorry, I don't have a mic here to record a sound sample. Listen to Ravi Shankar at Woodstock

Quote by confusius

Yes, it is similar, but in my case its a wounded string, I thought that is a difference (that's why I opened a new thread)

Quote by FanksGuv
The way you described it as only with the open string, sounds like a problem with how the string is sitting on the nut. My friend has the same problem except its the bridge causing the sitar effect.

"Nut"...do you mean the bridge on the corpus or that thing what is at the top of the neck? Or both? (Excuse me, I am not familiar with the english terms)
^Right.

You might try breaking off some paper under where the string sits on the nut to make sure it vibrates correctly.
^ That's twice now I've seen you post that about "breaking off some paper". What exactly are you trying to have these people do? And how is it supposed to make the string vibrate correctly?
^ Well, I prefer cardboard myself. Its a way to increase the height of one string on the nut without having to replace the whole nut. Its a cheap fix, but it gets the job done. You just stick the piece of whatever in the string slot and tune up. It should increase the height enough so that one string doesn't buzz.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Well, I didn't recommend the paper for height but more because sometimes the string won't sit correctly in its slot, mainly because it needs to be filed possibly because of extended use or maybe because it wasn't manufactured correctly. In this case I would go with the former. But yes it is a cheap fix.
It was your wording that had me confused FanksGuv. I know what it is that your getting at tho. Cheap quick fix, yes. Long term correction, no way. The nut is critical to the transmission of string vibration just as the bridge saddle is, just to a lesser degree. By putting something soft like paper or cardboard between the string and the hard material of the nut, you are deadening this out, affecting sustain mostly. If the nut slots are worn that badly, then it's time for a new one, pure and simple.