Hey. I just recently got the Ernie Ball "Not even slinky" set of strings (12 gauge).Because the strings are so hard and thick, I gotta press down a lot with my fingers, by doing so, my Thumb has to also press hard against the back of the neck (obviously). But it (thumb) gets so sore after a while that I just simply cannot play on the first 3 frets for long before giving up.And it really sucks when we rehearsing the Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom songs we covering. Is this usual for a guitarist who jumps from his usual 10 gauge to a 12 gauge string? Or is it something else?

Btw I got an Epiphone Les Paul Goth.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Jul 7, 2007,
Haha, that is what you get for going to 12 gauge strings.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Try dropping your tuning even lower and start thinking about mabye moving up to 11's with your next set if your still having problems.

or you can just do what SRV did: super glue your fingers to your shoulders then rip them off so you'd have an extra layer of skin before shows.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by Alex The Red
Try dropping your tuning even lower and start thinking about mabye moving up to 11's with your next set if your still having problems.

or you can just do what SRV did: super glue your fingers to your shoulders then rip them off so you'd have an extra layer of skin before shows.

did he really do that?
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by Alex The Red

Are you sure?

I have friends who have done that...They say it just hurts a lot.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Go to 11s, or practice on a bass for a bit.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350