Hey guys, the past few months, Ive been reconsidering my JSX. Its an excellent amp, but it no longer really does what i want it to do anymore. Its too bright, and it cant do much with my seven string. With my seven, it is kinda flat and seems to have problems making it sound good. But thats besides the point.

My point is, im ready for something new. I was gonna buy Erock503's Framus cobra half stack, but it is out of my price range, and I wouldnt be able to raise the funds to pay for it in an acceptable time. (However, thank you Eric for the offer, wish i could have followed through, and hope the new owner likes it as much as i would) so that left me with more searching. My father tells me that we're moving soon, into a smaller community. So that kinda gets rid of my half stack idea, since i like to play loud for the most effect. So i was thinking 2x12 combo, that way, its smaller, easier to move, and i wont be the idiot friend who has a 120 watt half stack while everyone has 50-100watt SS 1x12 combos. So i went on a quest for 2x12 combos, and my first thought was 5150 2x12. They are selling on ebay for 5 to 600 dollars, depending on what time it is.

So after that was set into my mind, (since its pretty much the poor mans cobra) my buddy hits me up and asks to share an apartment with him, which im like, “hell yes” except for, 2x12 tube combo will most likely be too loud, and knowing me, ill be next to the person who is fat, and will call the cops if you sneeze because she cant watch Oprah. So now im looking at multi-effect pedals, such as a POD and what not. They run about the same price, will do what i want, are quiet, and i can DI them into my computer if i want something other than headphones, only downside is that i cannot really jam with anyone since I wouldnt really have an amp.

Then another idea pops into my mind. Line 6, the good kind. My buddy has an AX2-212 and it is an excellent amp, 2x12, stereo, and has all the effects of a pod. Or possibly a vetta, I don't know that much about these, but Messuggah uses them, and they are heavy, which is what i want.

Tone im looking for is a heavy, high gain, dark tone. But want to have nice crunch and excellent cleans. Think JSX with 5150 dirty. (my last serenade by KSE) Ill be using my seven string, so it needs to take B and A stuff as well.

Everything runs from 400-800 dollars(pedals new, amps used), which after my 3 day trip in august, ill have about 800 left over from my JSX money. What would you do?

*cliff notes*
selling JSX half stack
Moving into apartment, or condo of the sort
have about 800 dollars
2x12 5150
multi effect pedals
line six vetta or AX2
heavy, dark tone, capable of seven string, and not pussing out.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
all i got was that your male friend wants to share his bedroom with you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you tried out new cabs? The JSX cab that peavey sells has way too much high end. I suggest going to a local guitar store and try out a few. The cab really will make a huge tone difference.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
what about an attenuator (to be serious for a moment)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^im not using a JSX cabinet, im using an ashdown cabinet, and ive hooked it to a 1960 cabinet, and a mesa 2x12 with V30's.

i also need to downgrade, which is why i didnt mention just getting another head. . .

as for an attenuator, it could happen, but like i said, im tired of hauling around the 4x12, i hate carrying it up and down stairs, and knowing me, it will have to be upstairs. not to mention, i look like an idiot with the biggest amp. and i hardly play guitar with people anymore, im usually the bassist. and i still plan on keeping my bass rig somewhat big as well.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Last edited by tubadude at Jul 7, 2007,
^ oh, i meant an attenuator with your new combo.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
all i got was that your male friend wants to share his bedroom with you.

d'oh!

Since you obviously have the breadth and depth of knowledge (have wanted to use that phrase) for guitars and gear, I'm assuming you already know what you'll end up with and are just curious to hear from other experts and of course, some noobulicious noobulets?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ oh, i meant an attenuator with your new combo.

oh, if i were to go that route, it may push out of my budget. (attenuators are like 200 bucks, right?)

Quote by ippon
Since you obviously have the breadth and depth of knowledge (have wanted to use that phrase) for guitars and gear, I'm assuming you already know what you'll end up with and are just curious to hear from other experts and of course, some noobulicious noobulets?

no, not really. in my mind, i would be content with any of these set ups ATM, most of my guitar jamming is done late at night, and usually online with people. and having the pedal would let me do this with less stress of bothering others. and the vetta/ AX2 would solve this as well since its SS and i believe the speakers will turn off when you got a headphone in.
and the 5150 would just kick ass.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tubadude
oh, if i were to go that route, it may push out of my budget. (attenuators are like 200 bucks, right?)

toshay.

i guess, try a 5150? some of the high gainers sound pretty good at reasonable volumes, an attenuator may not really be worth the outlay, it may sound good enough without one.

i guess the best option is to try some of the better line 6's against the 5150 at the volumes you're liable to be playing at most of the time. if that's possible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
toshay.

i guess, try a 5150? some of the high gainers sound pretty good at reasonable volumes, an attenuator may not really be worth the outlay, it may sound good enough without one.

i guess the best option is to try some of the better line 6's against the 5150 at the volumes you're liable to be playing at most of the time. if that's possible.

ill be at my buddy's house with the AX2 in a few weeks, ill take a few hours and explore it, since its just an old vetta. as for the 5150, that will be a bit harder, since i dont know anyone with a 5150, or a 6505.

another thing i dont think i mentioned, Cleans. i will be using cleans alot, and are the cleans as bad as people say on the 5150?

Quote by steven seagull
i do the whole DI thing into my comp.. (hence why i call my studios DI studios[it can also mean deafening irritance studios])

and if you're concerned about being able to jam with other people what you can do is line your pod out to a mixer, and then get a headphone mixer (apex aha4 is the most basic and cheapest i've seen so far) for splitting the stereo signal so up to 4 people can listen to whats going on. i've jammed a few times with a full band using this setup and it works pretty darn well.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Jul 7, 2007,
Well, a 50 watt attentuator would be 100 bucks from Weber. That would fit in with a 5150 and an attentuator.

If not, I would suggest looking into the new mesa express 5:50 and 5:25. They have a little switch on the back to make it only 5 watts, keeping great tone at low volume. If you looked around on ebay, I have seen them for under 900.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
^that mesa would be a good idea, i have a place i know where to try mesas.

bad thing, there is one on ebay right now, hes asking 900. and the cheapest one that sold was 900 dollars. which will be out of my budget. my costs for this trip will be about 200 dollars. (120 for hotel, 80 for food and crap)

but if the amp checks out with me, ill keep my eye out.

and Kivarenn82, that works well? how much for the equipment?

Quote by steven seagull
DI works great- I'm a big fan of it too. You could splurge on something like Guitar Rig 2, but I've found free programs that work just as well. You could do the line out thing or just get a good SS PA amp type thing.

If you don't want a computer-based one, I've heard great things about the rack-based POD (whichever that one is.)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-PODxt-Pro-Amp-Modeler?sku=482196
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubadude
another thing i dont think i mentioned, Cleans. i will be using cleans alot, and are the cleans as bad as people say on the 5150?

worse, lol.

don't you have peavey dealers there? i thought the streets of the USA were lined with peavey amps?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lightitup
Well, a 50 watt attentuator would be 100 bucks from Weber. That would fit in with a 5150 and an attentuator.

If not, I would suggest looking into the new mesa express 5:50 and 5:25. They have a little switch on the back to make it only 5 watts, keeping great tone at low volume. If you looked around on ebay, I have seen them for under 900.

ah, good call on mesa. the old f-series might be worth a look too, you should be able to snap one up under budget. i haven't tried the new express series, but i hear the f-series got a more recto-esque distortion. Which is rumoured to be why they were discontinued, they were eating into recto sales.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no, just hot chicks.

only place that carries peavey is sam ash. apparantly guitar center does, but i havnt seen anything.

and that pod rack unit seems like a good idea. in the future, i could hook a power amp to it and BAM! rack unit.

Quote by steven seagull
yeah. i mean, at the end of the day, only you know what your long-term goals etc. are, how loud you can play, whether you'll get a chance to play louder, etc.

it's a cliche, but it's really up to you.

or should that be kleeshay?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what about cleshay!

F series seems like a good idea as well, one on ebay, a F100, hes asking 699 for it.

but im liking the pod rack idea.

Quote by steven seagull
the setup with the headphone splitter works well. i wouldn't skimp out on that particular piece of equipment tho just because mine tends to clip if and when you feel like cranking it.

you can set everyone up thru the mixer.. even pan your guitars left and right. as well as add effects like reverb to drums. its like listening to a CD quality recording thats being done on the fly.

as someone whos been dwelling in apartments for years.. using amps has almost become a lost art to me. obviously depending on the building, i have never been able to use any of my amps (or even my stereo for that matter..). its not impossible to use amps tho.. i've had a few ideas on getting mic'd amp tone by simply using an isolation box.

this dude did a wicked job on his iso chamber --> http://www.amptone.com/diyisobox.htm

but for now. its DI's for recording, and headphone taps for jamming. the recording i've done below in my sig is done all via direct inject.
Quote by tubadude
what about cleshay!

F series seems like a good idea as well, one on ebay, a F100, hes asking 699 for it.

but im liking the pod rack idea.

that sounds like a pretty good price. i'm going by UK prices, though.

at that kind of money, you could nearly get the f series (or say an f50 if you can get it for less) with one of the cheaper modellers.

I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey austin 700 for a f-100 is great. on ebay i've seen 50's and 30's going for that price.

Bst of luck

or

JC-120(used)+ gt-8

that kills about 2 birds.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
you're like stuck on the jc120, arent you?

Quote by steven seagull
Sure looks like it.

And the POD is gonna be the most versatile- more so than a Mark IV. Gasp!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
juarez, the jc120's are going for about 750 on ebay, and a GT-8 on top would break my budget.

if i go the DI route, a POD would be better than a GNX4 or a GT-8?

Quote by steven seagull
how much pod xt's going for

both live and regular

POD>Digitech

Pod <=gt-8
Express is not dark enough for you tuba.

I haven't played an F series unfortunately. I'd definitely give it a try. Plus if you don't like it you've had insane good luck with reselling things on the bay (well not insane just moderately good)
The POD would probably have a lot more variety and be a lot more versatile. And I kind of get bored of the way boss sounds after a while.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
quick question, if it can be answered.

does the rack pod have anything over the XT live pedal? other than the 200 price difference? im looking and cant really see whats better.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-PODXT-Live-Pedal?sku=150394
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-PODxt-Pro-Amp-Modeler?sku=482196

Quote by steven seagull
Its more rack based i think. It has outputs for mics i think and some other outputs. But yea i cant really see why ti cost 200 more. the XT L is excellent for the price tho.
the rack mount has XLR outputs, which i wont be using, (unless i go with a power amp) but both have USB, which is what i would mainly use.

Quote by steven seagull
it would seem the GT-8 isn't as focused on cabinet emulation.. i haven't had much experience tinkering with the gt-8 myself tho.. if anyones ever tried it.. how is the cabinet modelling on a gt-8?
UPDATE:

I will be buying erock's POD off of him (first his framus, now this) and that will take care of my pod, riffworks, and i think some other things.

as for headphones, im looking at sure monitor earbuds, they will run me about 100 dollars.

im looking forward to this.

Quote by steven seagull
I'd recommend the Flextone III. Vetta's are a little over the top. They sound great but they just have so many features. If you want something to just plug in, dial up an amp and EQ and go, the Flextone is a much better buy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ah, cool, austin!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?