What scale would you play in the begining of Seven Steps to Heaven its by Miles Davis
Quote by Tw1zzler
What scale would you play in the begining of Seven Steps to Heaven its by Miles Davis

Woo, you're in the wrong place for that question. Pretty much everyone here is metalheads, I think.

By looking at the lead sheet (from the Real Book vol I) The intro has the following chord progression, and it looks like the tune is in the key of F major:
Fmaj7 - Eb6 - Fmaj7

So you pretty much can use the Fmaj scale to start with, although I would embellish it a bit personally. A song like this is really left open to personal interpretation, and you will find that with a classic like this if you had 10 jazz guitarists play it, they would play it in 10 totally different ways. If you are shooting for doing the same thing as him, then you'd best off using the Amazing Slow Downer to listen to the song while you transcribe it.

If you haven't gotten the score from the Real book yet, you should it is like a bible for jazz artists.

I would recommend this forum for jazz related questions: http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/

Hope that gives you a little help.
Fmaj7 - Eb6 - Fmaj7 isn't in one key. I don't really know the song, but I'd play Flydian and Eb lydian over the F and Eb chords.. Play some sequences?

^To the guy above me: There are jazzheads enough here. You aren't long enough here to know that.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
yeah you couldnt really play one scale over that. If you were aware of teh E in F major 7 then you could fake through it with Bb major i think. but for msot jazz pieces there are alot of times when one scale jus wont work. i would go with F ionian and lydian to Eb ionian or lydian. you also have to make sure the jump back and fourth isnt way too in your face. what i tend to do alot of the times though is just kinda know hte chord progression well and once you caan do that you can hear a melody in your head so just play the melody that you hear
Quote by elvenkindje
Fmaj7 - Eb6 - Fmaj7 isn't in one key. I don't really know the song, but I'd play Flydian and Eb lydian over the F and Eb chords.. Play some sequences?

^To the guy above me: There are jazzheads enough here. You aren't long enough here to know that.

+1 to all of that

im a huge metal head, yet ive been studying jazz lately
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.