Page 1 of 2
Hey I like the sound and styles of Gibsons but i was wondering if they are slightly overpriced due to the fact that they have such a big name, so what i ask is are they overpriced? And is there a dif brand that could give me a similar style guitar for as good of quality but less price?
I used to think so, but there is something to a high end guitar that no mid end guitar will get you. The wood is different.....the finer detail makes for a better playing guitar.

Gibson hs been slacking on this as of late. But PRS guitars are like no other in this aspect. When I got my PRS Singlecut, I was blown away...responant and responsive like nothing I have ever heard....the wood makes THAT much of a difference. It plays like butter....no other guitar I have....no matter how upgraded or setup, can play as well as my PRS.
^I hate you!!

I would love to get a gray single cut 20th anni PRS. What dreams are made of!
Quote by CyberK007
Hey I like the sound and styles of Gibsons but i was wondering if they are slightly overpriced due to the fact that they have such a big name, so what i ask is are they overpriced? And is there a dif brand that could give me a similar style guitar for as good of quality but less price?

Epiphone?
how much did you pay for the PRS?
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
Of course Gibsons are way overpriced.
What do you like about them, since all guitars sound different, if you can describe what sound you like i might could recommend something
I think that any guitar over 1k is kind of a waste but thats just my opinion. Yea, gibsons are insanely nice (well most of them) but Im not gonna spend 3,000 on a guitar when I can get my own custom one for maybe one thousand.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by CyberK007

In my opinion, Gibson flaunts their "liscenced artists" as an excuse to charge the shit out of people for their guitars. so yes, they are waaaay overpriced.

for a nice les paul style, check out Agile guitars:

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000blueflame.html

i know a guy who has one of those and it is awesome, but cost significantly less.

Dean makes Vs and Zs, which are like flying Vs and Explorer style. they cost way less and Dean is an excellent brand.

if you like odd body styles, then obviously B.C. Rich is there, and their guitars are always nice
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Gibson guitars are overpriced. Most of them are not much better than epiphones. The problems with Gibson isn't that they don't use nice materials and what not, because they do. The problem with Gibson is that their QC sucks. If a guitar is poorly setup or the neck or the neck doesn't sit straight or they don't double check the grain in the neck (which is part of the reason Gibson headstocks break off) or the frets or lifting and not level, then the guitar is not worth much. If Gibson would spend an extra hour or 2 on each guitar making sure everything is set up just right, then they would be worth the price tag. Hell, I'd even spend the extra $12.50 they would have to spend on parts and labor during assembly to make the guitar nice.
Not taking any online orders.
I personally believe Gibby's are overpriced for a number of reasons. The name alone and how famous their guitars are make up some of their price. They are mass produced guitars like other companies and their QC has gone down as of late. They are built with higher quality woods and materials in most cases but that doesn't constitute a lack of attention to detail as what has been coming out of the factories lately. The whole idea of the American made guitar is overrated and people just put too much emphasis on it. I went with an Agile simply because I wanted a guitar that I could mod up and get heavy tones with and actually enjoy playing it. I personally am not a fan of Gibson guitars. I have a huge problem with Gibson necks for the most part. I just dislike playing them but when I listen to these guitar being played that is something else. Tonally in most circumstances they are really great guitars I just don't like to play alot of the ones I have gotten a chance to in the past year or so. I do admit that I am in love with the ES-335 and would love too get one but currently can't swing the price tag or think its worth the price either. In right, any company has the right to charge whatever they want if people will pay it and thats why they stay in business. There are people who genuinely love Gibson guitars and I am happy that they found the guitars of their dreams and can afford the price tags. Then their are those people who buy these guitars because all they here is Gibson is awesome and all that and they don't really know if its the guitar for them. They will pick up the guitar and just be like my word I love how this plays and everything. Once they buy the guitar and bring it home the problems start to roll in.I am personally a supporter of PRS guitars. They are priced very high and in some cases more then Gibson. But in my eyes they are more worth the money. Much more comfortable to me and better built imo. I don't find that many Les Paul's that strike me as gorgeous like I find many PRS Singlecuts. I plan to replace my old Custom 24 whenever I have the cash. In fact after I pick up a strat and an acoustic I will save my money for a new PRS as soon as I can. But all in all the topic of Gibson guitars being overpriced is based on the person themselves and whether or not they want to pay for it because its a Gibson or they genuinely like the guitar.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I like the good classic sound yet wide range of tone gibsons can have, and i also like there looks, but ya i have always felt they were nice, but very overpriced, so im not saying i want a cheap guitar just if i were to spend say 1 grand i guitar that i would get more for the price then a gibson. Thanks to everyone so far also btw =)
Very overpriced.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
IMO short of the Signatures and all of the "special edition" custom shop stuff they release they are pretty fairly priced (if you live in north america at least) they're expensive but IMO they are some of the best guitars out there (short of some custom jobs. I even like Gibsons over most PRS guitars)

and most Gibsons are far superior to most epiphones (they do get really close with the high end epiphones vs. low end Gibsons though) i
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Really overpriced, but really good quality too (I also prefer PRS, like ibanez4life sz ).
But the best are the older ones.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I used to think so, but there is something to a high end guitar that no mid end guitar will get you. The wood is different.....the finer detail makes for a better playing guitar.

Gibson hs been slacking on this as of late. But PRS guitars are like no other in this aspect. When I got my PRS Singlecut, I was blown away...responant and responsive like nothing I have ever heard....the wood makes THAT much of a difference. It plays like butter....no other guitar I have....no matter how upgraded or setup, can play as well as my PRS.

i agree

although i don't have a PRS, i do indeed own 2 Gibsons, and they do play amazingly.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I'm guessing you're after a Les Paul so.. Look at ESP Eclipse guitars if you're after a more modern, better value take on them.

If you want the more classic-ness, look at some 80's MIJ copies like Greco, Tokai, Burny.. All these companies made amazing quality guitars that you can get now for a fraction of the price of a new Gibson, with 20 odd years of mojo for free.

Also Japanese made Epiphones (If you can find one, they are few and far between) or the Epiphone Elitist models are great high quality guitars for a lot cheaper than a Gibson.

I find PRS are as overpriced and overhyped as Gibsons. I've never played one I thought was worthy of all those thousands of $$. Sure they have nice finishes but they don't play well enough to justify the price tag in most cases for me.
lol. Gibson=overpriced. I read that one of their sales strategies to boost sales during a slump was... you guessed it, Raise Prices!!!!

Because you see.. since most of the world is just a buncho lemmings we all think that the more it costs, the better it must be! and guess what happened? It worked! Sales went up. So, I don't really see them squashing this strategy.

Gibsons are great guitars, if you can afford to dish out that kinda dough. Personally, my Epi LP with Classic 57 pickups in it plays as good/ sounds as good as any gibson I've played and... instead of 3000 bones, it only cost me 700. Sweet.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Agiles might be sweet.
But has any of you heard about Heritage guitars? those guys opened a guitar factory after Gibson changed place and they didn't want to leave their families or something,

my friend has got one, an LP, and he payd almost a half of the price for a gibson lp standard, and i think its fine!
Quote by EmeraldXecution
what the fuck does an auction
have to do with a drum battle?

god I wish I could post the pear here.....

Quote by roarinflames

btw youre avatar is great
couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
I couldn't read that...I'm to mesmerized by your avatar...(in the gayest way possible)
Gibsons are overpriced.

Try building your own equivalent to a Gibson and see how much it costs. Not nearly as much.
I also think it's stupid to pay $3000 for a guitar and then replace the pickups.

Both my guitars are (relatively) cheap, but I love them both.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
I think that any guitar over 1k is kind of a waste but thats just my opinion. Yea, gibsons are insanely nice (well most of them) but Im not gonna spend 3,000 on a guitar when I can get my own custom one for maybe one thousand.

Yeah, that's why I'm going the Carvin route rather than a high end name brand....I can at least customize it to my liking and make it exactly what I want and it's still only about 1000....
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Tim_N
Agiles might be sweet.
But has any of you heard about Heritage guitars? those guys opened a guitar factory after Gibson changed place and they didn't want to leave their families or something,

my friend has got one, an LP, and he payd almost a half of the price for a gibson lp standard, and i think its fine!
Yeah, they setup in the old Gibson Kalamazoo factory after they left. My friend has one. It's ugly as sin, but £500 used and better than a LP Standard.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Anything with a big brand name tends to be overpriced.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
A segment of Gibson's demand curve is upward sloping.

AKA - They actually sell more guitars when the price is higher (the prestige factor), so it'd be silly for them not to overcharge for their guitars, wouldn't it?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by cocacolabottle
Hi,

No.

Whats your reason behind your logic?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

surely you pay some only for the name, but you got a great craftmanship behind a gibson (set neck etc), much more than on a fender.
i think the LP studio is well worth its price
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
surely you pay some only for the name, but you got a great craftmanship behind a gibson (set neck etc), much more than on a fender.
i think the LP studio is well worth its price

Set necks aren't necessarily "better" than a bolt-on.

I think Gibson's craftsmanship and quality control is pretty crappy for what they charge for their guitars.

I can probably only count on one hand the number of good Les Paul studios I've played that were made after the 90s.

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I lost all respect when gibson started to do this to a majority of there 2007 les paul models.

Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

I'd rather have that than the random holes .
Quote by utsapp89
yeah but its not even a solid body guitar, its a semi-hollow
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Why would the route out an area between the bridge and stop tail posts? That just weakens the stability there... I can't stand this.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
You can x-ray a guitar??

anyways, The newer Gibson's are pretty crappy, but the older ones, like Vintage, and if your lucky, the ones you find in pawn shops are very nice.. but now they seem to be going for quantity over quality, like most of the lower end, "Faded" series Gibson's are made in Korea...
and Epiphones are pretty nice in my opinion, they can compete with Gibsons if you just throw some new pick ups in them.
^agreed, older ones are nice^

Quote by SublimeGuitar
I lost all respect when gibson started to do this to a majority of there 2007 les paul models.

WTF??? now i'm REALLY never going to get one.

seriously, what is the point of that? resonance? my Palomino feedbacks like hell with a minor crunch, and they expect us to play heavy stuff with that??? if zakk wylde ever gets one of these, he'd better watch the pinch harmonics so his amp doesn't explode from the feedback....
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Last edited by Kid Fisto at Jul 8, 2007,
there only that much cuz its a gibson
GEAR:
Black Epiphone G-310 SG
White Ibanez RG120
Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects Pedal
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
Quote by SublimeGuitar

O_O

you just don't do that to a les paul, thank god mine is a 2005 model

EDIT: hold up, that's the les paul BFG, who said that they're going to hollow out ALL of the les paul models. maybe it's only the BFG that's getting hollowed out.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Page 1 of 2