ok...so i have a JCM800 2203 and it's way too loud...i bought it because i love the tone and did some research and found that by using yellow jackets, i could lower the wattage by 1/5 and not change the tone too much (ppl told me it would only raise the mids a little) but i bought some last week and didn't like the sound (too thin) and didn't lower the volume that much...now i'm going to buy an attenuator...will the sound chage a lot like it did with the yellow jackets??? would it be better to buy another amp like a 30W orange (heard has good sound) or another amp with a low wattage?
buy the orange, and sell your jcm800 to me!
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
If you don't want a loud amp, a JCM800 2203 is a bad choice. Your standard option is an attentuator but you'll lose some tone
go get a Marshall Powerbreak, they work really well, and they dont do anything to your tone, so dont worry about that.
They got rid of that amp years ago and then brought it back because of the renewed interest in Jimi Hendrix recordings. Its really a bad amp in that its really one sound. You are really better to go out and find yourself the classic Dual Reverb amps that most gigging rockers play off of. Most of the modern amps today also have a 50/100 watt switch. A technique that you can use is to get yourself a good effects processor and use the input and output settings to lower you volumn.
^ WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON ABOUT?

1. Hendrix used non-master-volume Plexis and JTM45s, not JCM800s.
2. It's not the most versatile amp, but it still has great sounds.
3. Most gigging rockers use Dual Reverbs? What?
4. Most modern amps have wattage switches, eh? Some do- not most.
5. That's just stupid. If the input level of the amp is lower, your sound cleans up and... no more power tube overdrive for you, smarty-pants.

In conclusion, you're wrong.
Quote by david07003
They got rid of that amp years ago and then brought it back because of the renewed interest in Jimi Hendrix recordings. Its really a bad amp in that its really one sound. You are really better to go out and find yourself the classic Dual Reverb amps that most gigging rockers play off of. Most of the modern amps today also have a 50/100 watt switch. A technique that you can use is to get yourself a good effects processor and use the input and output settings to lower you volumn.

Quote by cokeisbetter
you're wrong.

there ya go

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by pillows+32
go get a Marshall Powerbreak, they work really well, and they dont do anything to your tone, so dont worry about that.

i heard that it destroys the tone when u turn it up to 10...any other suggestions?
if ur in the US, Weber Attenuator. best as it can be. cheap too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
so do you guys think that i'll get a better sound with my jcm and an attenuator than with another amp for the price?
Quote by gsoldi
i heard that it destroys the tone when u turn it up to 10...any other suggestions?

You'll lose a bit of top end and your tone will be ever so slightly muddier, but still good to the ear. You can generally compensate by slightly tweaking your EQ.
Weber attenuators are apparently the way to go, I've heard a lot of good things about them. I do remember seeing another attenuator style where the signal was mixed down to line level, then amplified with a SS amp to adjust the output volume. It's not a bad idea really, I'm not sure how it would sound though.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i'll come back to this thread once i get my Weber Attenuator. in less than a week i hope. (stupid FedEx...) yea.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard