I've decided I'm getting a synthesizer. I played a microKORG at a music store and I like it because it sounds great and is super cheap. I found another synth for about the same price though. It's called an Alesis Micron. Does anyone know anything about it?
Zvex
The MicroKorg is a great synth. So is the Micron.

Both have great sounds.

The benefits of the Micron are that the keys are larger.
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Quote by Rancid_Misfits
The MicroKorg is a great synth. So is the Micron.

Both have great sounds.

The benefits of the Micron are that the keys are larger.

Ah that's the only thing I didn't like about the microKORG - the small keys. I'll give it a poke, thanks.
Zvex
Skip the microKorg dude. Treat yourself to a Roland Jupiter 4, MiniMoog, Siel DK80, Yamaha DX7S, something vintage like that.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Get Reason 3.0 software... it has more synths that you'll ever need!! You'll spend a lifetime figuring out how those synths work!!

Or get Native Instruments FM7 and use it as a plug in with a sequencing software...
FM7 is the daddy of all FM synths!!

Synthesis is a really complex subject. There are loads of different types of synthesis. Subtractive, Granular, FM etc... You need first get a little idea bout how synthesis works before you get into using synths. Granular and FM synthesis can take a complete lifetime to fully understand cuz its just so complicated. But if you get your head around Oscillators, Filters, ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release), LFO's, Amplifiers... then it opens whole new doors to synthesis for you and thats where the real power of synthesis begins. They are amazing pieces of equipment!!

I'm a half-descent sound engineer, so i know what i'm talking bout...

But seriously there's no point on working with a synth if you dont understand how it works. You can get a million different sounds out of just two sine waves playing one note. But you need to find understand LFO's, Filters, ADSR Amplifiers to get a lil idea bout what your messing with...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jul 7, 2007,
Quote by Muphin
Skip the microKorg dude. Treat yourself to a Roland Jupiter 4, MiniMoog, Siel DK80, Yamaha DX7S, something vintage like that.

I don't have enough spare clams to blow on such things!
Zvex
Quote by af_the_fragile
Get Reason 3.0 software... it has more synths that you'll ever need!! You'll spend a lifetime figuring out how those synths work!!

Or get Native Instruments FM7 and use it as a plug in with a sequencing software...
FM7 is the daddy of all FM synths!!

Synthesis is a really complex subject. There are loads of different types of synthesis. Subtractive, Granular, FM etc... You need first get a little idea bout how synthesis works before you get into using synths. Granular and FM synthesis can take a complete lifetime to fully understand cuz its just so complicated. But if you get your head around Oscillators, Filters, ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release), LFO's, Amplifiers... then it opens whole new doors to synthesis for you and thats where the real power of synthesis begins. They are amazing pieces of equipment!!

I'm a half-descent sound engineer, so i know what i'm talking bout...

That all sounds kinda hooky pooky and difficult... I was kinda just lookin for one synth that's all self-contained just as a beginner thing. I don't know how far into synthesis I'm gonna get.
Zvex