Hi, I've only been playing about 3 or 4 months and still feel as I'm pretty bad. One thing I never worked on enough and am now having a lot of trouble with is my timing. I never use to follow along to a metronome and even when I did get one used it only to follow along with warm up exercises.

I'm not using it as much as I can but having a great deal of trouble following it and keeping in time. Especially when Practicing tapping, hammerons, pulloffs, and scales. Did anyone else have trouble following along and keeping time to the metronome when starting out? Any tips? I try to say 1 and 2 and... or 1 e and a 2 e and a when I do it but I have trouble focusing on both the guitar, metronome and timing.

Will I get past this eventually?
I was really bad with a metronome, but one day I played some easy songs with my drummer friend, it helped me alot.

now my timing is better.

try to play with some one else, you will see that it is better and easier to play with someone else because it's more enjoyable than following a metronome
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
Stick to one speed, and you'll soon get use to the rhythm subconciously. I was really bad at first but now I don't even have to think about it. I literally sit down playing to metronome whilst reading guitar mags lol.... I shouldn't do that.
Like alex3996, I recommend to replace the metronome with somethings with real drums. This helped me with playing the piano with the correct timing. You could just take a drumloop from the internets, but I'd like to program my own drums into a sequencer and loop that. Or buy a drum machine, that also works.
when you play, make each click a quarter note. so it would be 1 (click) 2 (click) 3 (click) 4 (click). set it at about 100, and just try a scale, playing one note per click. then, do 8th notes. 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. Continue to do this, but when you're comfortable, speed it up a little.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!