Page 1 of 3
Spazz128735
Helping UG Help Itself
381 IQ
First one of the guitarists plays a riff they wrote.
Then they teach the other guitarist it, or the leads they have in mind
They decide what instrument they need to play.
Them and the drummer start jamming
I, the singer, run out into the garage from wolfing down excedrin and start applying lyrics I've written onto it
We develop song structure based on the lyrics.
If more parts need to be written, we do it.
If a few notes need to be changed, added, flourishes inserted, it's done now
rehearse.
get tones, fx, and reverb perfected
rehearse.
perform.

how do you guys typically do it?
rage6945
441 IQ
wow thats wierd

my bassist hears a beat in his head
he plays to it
he comes up with a catchy funk line
my prodigy of a drummer comes up with a ridiculous beat for it
we groove for a few minutes until i find what to play
magic happens
we have a ridiculous song
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Stupid Spazz, I'm not giving away my secrets!

But if I was I'd say one person walks in with the song 'done', (i.e. tempo, riffs, arrangement for all instruments) then everyone adds/ makes changes to it. Lyrics usually come very last.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
MarkolisXII
Markolis XII
966 IQ
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Stupid Spazz, I'm not giving away my secrets!

But if I was I'd say one person walks in with the song 'done', (i.e. tempo, riffs, arrangement for all instruments) then everyone adds/ makes changes to it. Lyrics usually come very last.

ya

i'm likin that way
Markolis XII
Drmckool
Self-proclaimed doctorate
2,739 IQ
i start playing a riff, then i either turn to my drummer or phone him and say i'm sending you a bass and guitar part write lyrics and drums to it. voila we're done
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Muphin
UG Newbie
1,090 IQ
I do it all myself. I just end up playing something cool and I'll run with it and turn it in to a song, which I'll record myself then demo to the band.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
The_Paranoia
/dance
846 IQ
I write the lyrics. Give them to my singer, he edits them. My guitarist writes something and it all clicks from there.
Slipping_Away
212 IQ
I usually write a guitar riff first, then add some bass, then drums. I then look at my lyric ideas, find something fitting, and write lyrics for it. I can't seem to manage to write music to pre-writen lyrics for some reason though :[.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I hear something in my head, a riff, a bassline, drum beat, or some lyrics. Then i write it down and build from there.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Lendorav
not really a muppet
578 IQ
Sometimes I compose a whole song on my own, take it to rehearsal and my bandmates say if they like it or if anything should be changed.

But mostly we just jam on a riff or a chord progression and then form the jam session into a song.
SpiritOfRadio11
248 IQ
Well, me and the bassist oth have a ton of lyrics we allready have. So when we jam I start playen some random chord progression and the drummer and bassist both write there parts to it then we stck some lyrics to it and tweak the rest, it seems to be pretty efficient. We get one or two decent songs done everytime we jam
-------------------------------------------------
Rythem Guitar/Singer-Smoke Patterns
www.myspace.com/smokepatterns

Quote by its irrelevant
I think you should go to the Amazon, cut down a tree and make one guitar out of it, then burn the rest.

Spiting Al Gore FTW
mr kipling
Look at the cow.
937 IQ
The drummer and the other guitarist take care of all the really simple riffs that you can show to your bandmates and they will pick them up. I write the more complex riffs that need a bit of time to perfect and I tab them. I write all lyrics.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
tortillamaster
i keep moet et chadon
1,106 IQ
rythym guitarist comes in with new riff and or progression
drummer starts drumming
i hum a melody, play it , reach into my book of lyrics i've stored away and pull something out
MY BANDS

Phat Toosday and the Astro-Bus
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ptabmusic

Lets All Get Superpowers
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/lags

Hobstolopho
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
Jamingguitarist
2,374 IQ
Lets see get a basic riff/ chord progression, get some rythmn guitar going, drop in drums then a bassline and jam on it. then add other parts later, get the tones set and fx and theres a song
|
jamsea
131 IQ
I come up with a riff while messing around. Figure out the entire song on guitar pro with harmonies and rhythm. Send it to the rest of the band and everyone makes a few small changes here and there.
Dr. No
UG Addict
587 IQ
It all starts with an idea or a riff for me. I'll lay down the basic track. Then I'll start layering tracks, panning stuff like crazy. Then Tom comes in and lays down some drums.
Zen5887
Oz-Kid
614 IQ
The guitarist, The drummer and myself just jam then the singers hums a melody. If we have somthing we like we write down the notes and try to rememeber the rest. Then the singer add some lyrics..

We're getting there =P
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
shamu1001
I've been degaussed...
204 IQ
I usually write an acoustic version of the song first, so basicly just he chord progression and the lyrics. Record. Try to put in some riffs here and there, work out the general flow of the song. Record. Bring all of that to a gig, let the guys listen to it, suggest changes, come up with more riffs/bass lines/drum parts. Practice/record, and we're set.
Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time.
Ed T H
254 IQ
My song ideas usually come from messing aroudn with the guitar, I sit, noodle for a while and this cool riff comes out of nowhere And it's also cool, that usually that one riff is a driving force, inspiration to the whole rest. Often this situation is inspired by some outside impulse, like move watched, something read, etc. Then I punch it into Guitar Pro, make all the arrangements, harmonies, rhytm tracks, basslines, etc. and send it to my bandmates. They tell me what they think, suggest changes and learn the track to be able to play it at rehearsals. Then I attempt writinig the lyrics.

But, thankfully, recently I hear new stuff in my head.
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
frustrat62
72 IQ
We usually jam on an already written song and then just see if something good comes out of it.
Fender Rosewood Sunburst Mexican Stratocaster
Dunlop Classic Fasel Inductor Crybaby Wah
Digitech Whammy
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DS-II Turbo Distortion
BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay
BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Crate GX-15
sloppy sandwich
33 IQ
thanks guys.

i have got a band (we dont have a singer) and we've been wondering what the first step is in making a song. this thread has helped us heaps

thx again guys
slappymoe66
Cool Cat
233 IQ
all you have to do is write one song then play every other song in a different key

lool dragonforce

I usually get lyrics then think of a chord progression or a punk style of it then write more metal/rockish riffs over it then take out the rhythm.
cta-joey
the Devils son
95 IQ
I can't write by my self. mainly cause I'm hard on my self.
but I'll think up a Riff, lick, chord progression, or even a lyric
the odd time a drum beat or bass line.
from there I show band mates and they state if they like it or not
if they do then add to it. in tell presto a original song
ajhawthorn
38 IQ
WOW i never thought i wud get this much response thanx so much to all u people
xx jks
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member
954 IQ
I don't have a band.

I jam with myself, play random stuff, come up with riffs, solos, leads, etc, and if I come up with something cool I tab it out. When I tab it out, I usually work out drums aswell.

When I write lyrics, I usually have a style of vocals in mind for each part I write, and if it's melodic, a tune for them to follow. When the lyrics are nearly done I've usually worked out the feel for the song, and found a riff or something that I've already written that could fit. Sometimes in parts of songs I can just hear a riff in my head that will work well under it.

I'll also usually have an idea of where the solo will fit in, and what sort of solo it will be from the feel of the song.

Then, I start piecing all the little bits together, and I keep playing the song over any over and adding or getting rid of some parts, and eventually it'll be good enough for me to say it's finished.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
lylewithans182
Fiend
324 IQ
Usually I listen to a lot of my favorite music and then try to write a riff, or something will just suddenley come to me and I'll write a whole song in 15 minutes, or it can take days. After it's all done, I teach it to the other guitarist in my band, then the bassist (he takes a long ass time to learn) and the drummer usually comes up with a beat after hearing us play the song.
KMilliron
Music/Tech at Damn Alchem
55 IQ
I write down lyrics. Look in my notebook for bass lines and drum beats I've written down.
Chose a drum line. Show the vocals the lyrics, she'll sing them her way. I'll chose the best bass line.

We still need a guitarist lol.
Worhan
The one and only Eggplant
280 IQ
I use two methods.
The first one:
I take a minor scale, look up the intervals, and fiddle a little with riffing. If the day is good, i get a cool sounding riff, if the day is bad i have nothing, and say "Screw this". When i get the riff, i tab it in GP, and try to figure out a chorus riff, intro etc. Maybe add a solo. Then i just tab the second guitar, bass, drums, and send it to my bandmates.

The second one:
I write the lyrics. I try to sing them and find a melody. Based on that melody i make a riff for all the vocal parts (as usual, with a scale). Then add some bridges, intro, outro, tab it, send it, done.

But in the end, im a crappy composer :P
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Alreddyded
Yurgggh
124 IQ
Quote by slappymoe66
all you have to do is write one song then play every other song in a different key

lool dragonforce

I lol'd
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Black Star
UG Fanatic
376 IQ
Generally, I start off writing some lyrics. I'll give the lyrics to my drummer, he'll make some suggestions, give them back, and I'll edit them some more. Once the lyrics are good, I work out a chord progression, and he comes up with a drum beat. Then we reveal it to our bassist, and he comes up with a bassline for it. And voila. A song is born
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Spazz128735
Helping UG Help Itself
381 IQ
wow. I'm getting a lot more varied responses than I expected. three cheers for diversity!

whoever told me they weren't gonna share their secrets... . My band already has good stuff going, I was just wondering how other people did it.

a few of you have said you use Guitar Pro to map everything out. I'm assuming that would make it easier if one person was writing it all, but I doubt it would work in a group with spread creative control. And I just picture that cheapening the process. I'm probably just old fashioned though.

Thoughts?

Edit:
Quote by SlappyMoe
dragonforce comment

...yeah, I'm too lazy to actually quote him.
Last edited by Spazz128735 at Jul 17, 2007,
DeadCops
Play faster.
10 IQ
Usually, we have some issue we're either pissed off about or we have something we need to voice. Our vocalist and guitar player are the first to write lyrics for this, and I think of a certain mood that the music could emulate to get these lyrics across to a listener. A few riffs are written, and then soon they are scrapped because we think they suck. After about 20 minutes of dealing with a case of musical brain-freeze, I call for a smoke break. We sit in our guitar players backyard and smoke a Camel Wide or two, and then music and changes to the lyrics just hits us. We go in to play out our newfound idea, and we usually stick with it. So, nicotine ingestion accounts for about 85% of our original songs.

Sadly, I wish I was lying about this.

Oh, and when we want to cover a song but add our own touch to it, we don't smoke as much. Probably because the music is already written and I just change a drumbeat around in most cases.
NOTICE: I usually accept bribes, mostly in the form of money or alcohol. You CAN use this to your advantage if you CAN get me a bottle of rum.
D_y_p26
UG member
1,566 IQ
i start with developing a good chord progression, then I improvise vocals with the lyrics I wrote..

For my way of writing songs, I always turn the recorder on because sometimes I forget stuff.
matt_1888
23 IQ
The lyrics have always come last for me...nothing is more frustrating than having to change your lyrics because they dont fit a riff...I just find it easier to write words around a song anyways.
My Gear
Washburn EA20SDL
Crate GT1200H
Custom Strat: New fretboard / jumbo frets. EMG 81 replacing original humbucker.

Myspace?
take_it_t
Music Addict
818 IQ
You just need to start writing, I have no definitive way which I write. Sometimes I start with writing lyrics, sometimes I write a guitar riff, sometimes I have the chords, sometimes its just a vocal melody. And I just work my way around whatever I had and build up into a song.

My advice is just take your time, and if something doesn't work it doesn't work. Just do your best to have something that really flows that you can emotionally connect to. Focus a lot more on the message/feeling/energy/emotion of the song as a whole, as opposed to think about guitar. Thats how I seem to approach song writing.
Muphin
UG Newbie
1,090 IQ
Quote by sloppy sandwich
thanks guys.

i have got a band (we dont have a singer) and we've been wondering what the first step is in making a song. this thread has helped us heaps

thx again guys

Remember, anything can be called a song. You can play a lone G# on your guitar and that's a song right there.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
sloppyjoe24
CHOO CHOO!
2,468 IQ
I come up with a tune
I come up with lyrics to fit the tune/mood
I invite the drummer over to my house to work on it.

Long story short, mom pays bail to get us out of jail.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Go listen to Opeth
275 IQ
Quote by SpiritOfRadio11
Well, me and the bassist oth have a ton of lyrics we allready have. So when we jam I start playen some random chord progression and the drummer and bassist both write there parts to it then we stck some lyrics to it and tweak the rest, it seems to be pretty efficient. We get one or two decent songs done everytime we jam

You write two songs everytime you guys jam...these better be about 24 hour jam sessions or something...cause one day is not enough for a song, if you think it is...well, I'd like to hear how that turns out.

I'm trying to help I guess, think about what you guys could do if you got the basics to a song then for the next few practices you just worked out this one song and made it the best it could be, not just "decent", me and my drummer agonize over songs for about a month before we will call it good to record or show other people.

So maybe just try this and I guarentee the quality of songs will increase.

As for my writing...I have the benefit of having a drummer who plays guitar as well..I WIN!
Trytan
Guitar Noob
34 IQ
I come up with something...I write a lot of the song first. If it sounds happy or cool, I write lyrics that are happy or cool. If the song sounds sad, I write sad lyrics. If it sounds scary or something, I write about a scary or menacing topic.