My birthday was a few days ago and I ended up getting aorund $500 (I made sure that EVERYBODY gave me money instead of presents). Some more might be coming, too, because I haven't seen all of my family yet. Anyways, I think it's time to upgrade my Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Hell, maybe even my 15 watt Epiphone amp. I don't want to spend ALL the money on a guitar, so I'm thinking around the $250 range, but, I'm pretty flexible. I have no problem with used gear, in fact, that's probably what I'm gonna end up getting. I play mostly the AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zep, Nirvana-ey type stuff, but I also like the RHCP and Oasis type stuff. Maybe some occasional Metallica, but I'm not too big on metal.

Edit : Not much of a Les Paul....Came in a player pack with a gigbag and 15 Watt amp...

I'm thinking along the lines of a used Epiphone Les Paul. Maybe a Fender Strat or an SG? I don't know. That's where I need your help. Which of these is the best? Which is the best for what I am most likely gonna play? This is only my second guitar, so It doesn't have to be exactly perfect to the slightest little detail.

You may give suggestions for new amps, too, but I'd like to focus on guitars.

Now for the whammy bar question: Is it possible to bend UP with a whammy bar? My friend just got a whammy bar and we can only bend down. We always thought you could bend up as well.

One more question: I know a guy who designed his own LP Custom. Where do you do that?? Is there a website? I searched all over to no avail. If you know, tip me off.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by halfback_712 at Jul 8, 2007,
To the Whammy Bar question:

All I know is that some whammy bars can only bend down and you have to loosen it or something to make it go up.

But definitely don't do anything to his guitar til someone who knows more than I do answers your question. Ima stick around this thread cuz i was wondering the same thing about the whammy question...
i have no clue to any of ur questions
but get a strat for a new guitar
u could be the new kurt frusciante!
on some tremolos you can loosen the springs in the back of the guitar and it will make the bridge "float" and you can bend it up, but it only works with certain bridges i think and if you dont do it right you can mess up your guitar
You can only bend down if you have a fulcrum tremolo, which is non-locking. This comes on Stratocasters and cheap Strat knock-offs. You CAN bend up a tad, but not enough to be effective. You can bend up using a Floyd Rose, Kahler, or Steinberger floating tremolo, unless it doesn't have a recessed rout, in which case you can only bend down. However there are relatively few guitars without recessed Floyd routes - if you look and there is wood below the fine tuner portion of the Floyd tremolo it's not recessed.

The advantage to getting a Floyd is that they (usually) don't go out of tune just if you look at them wrong. This lets you do divebombs and stuff like there's no tomorrow. However given that you play not metal I dunno if it'd be worth it for you. If I was you I'd get a used Mexican Fat Strat or similar - alternative often lends itself to single-coil tones, but with the humbucker you might squeeze some AC/DC out of it. HSS configurations are IMO the best out there - you usually end up using the neck for cleans anyway so why bother with a humbucker there?
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Go get a Crate Palomino V16. all-tube, great drive, but nails the sparkly clean tone.
its $400.

then get a set of pickups to upgrade ur pickups on the Les Paul Special II. Save up about $50 and get a NICE set, probably over $100, but u won't regret it. u can take it out and put it in a new better les paul later. switch it with the stock on those.

for AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin... u WANT a humbucker. Jimmy page used a Telecaster, but mainly used LPs in gigs, and i like those sound more than his studio recordings. Keep ur Les Paul, upgrade them, new amp, oh god sweet jesus u'd get a GREAT tone out of those.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by pucci6d6
i have no clue to any of ur questions
but get a strat for a new guitar
u could be the new kurt frusciante!

Quote by ECistheBest
Go get a Crate Palomino V16. all-tube, great drive, but nails the sparkly clean tone.
its $400.

then get a set of pickups to upgrade ur pickups on the Les Paul Special II. Save up about $50 and get a NICE set, probably over $100, but u won't regret it. u can take it out and put it in a new better les paul later. switch it with the stock on those.

for AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin... u WANT a humbucker. Jimmy page used a Telecaster, but mainly used LPs in gigs, and i like those sound more than his studio recordings. Keep ur Les Paul, upgrade them, new amp, oh god sweet jesus u'd get a GREAT tone out of those.

It really isn't much of a les paul...trust me. It came in a starter pack lol.
for the whammy question: yes, they can bend up in some instances. it depends on the type of whammy you have. the more common only goes down. theres ones like floyd roses for example, that have specially routed holes so that you can also bend up.

if youre thinking of getting any gibson (or epiphone there the same basically) you wont find a floyd rose on it. you'll most likely find a more gretsch looking whammy if any, and thats used mostly for blues/country stuff.

if youre looking to spend all the money, try to get the best player pack you can find for your needs. personally, id go for a strat like guitar, seeing as you already have an LP. if i may suggest looking thru some of ESP's guitars? they might be a little pricey but theyre worth it trust me. oh, and they also do custom jobs, to answer ANOTHER one of your questions.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
a better amp would change what u hear more than ur guitar. a new guitar would change the sound, but the amp change would make it better than a guitar change. its the matter of priority. u want playability first, or good tone. if ur a beginner, i might say playability first. but for me, i want better sound than a 15w epiphone amp... i played through one, they're crap. sorry.

crate i suggested are all-tube, sweet tone with great overdrive. it can get LOUD too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
my input is half the stuff you play would sound good with a gibson, and half would sound good with a strat, but the advantage to a strat is, personaly, i believe it is much more versitile than a epiphone or watever, i went with an epiphone on my last birthday, and i've grown so attached to it i wouldnt trade it for the world's best les paul, but i cant help wishing that it was a strat or tele that i was attached to not the les paul , my main problem with it, is the neck, epi necks are kinda fat, and personaly, i think they are kinda slow(but it makes up for it in tone), but i love strat/tele necks
Quote by fender1618
my input is half the stuff you play would sound good with a gibson, and half would sound good with a strat, but the advantage to a strat is, personaly, i believe it is much more versitile than a epiphone or watever, i went with an epiphone on my last birthday, and i've grown so attached to it i wouldnt trade it for the world's best les paul, but i cant help wishing that it was a strat or tele that i was attached to not the les paul , my main problem with it, is the neck, epi necks are kinda fat, and personaly, i think they are kinda slow(but it makes up for it in tone), but i love strat/tele necks

IOO (in our opinion) strats are better in every aspect than a les paul.

come to the stratocaster lovers thread!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
IOO (in our opinion) strats are better in every aspect than a les paul.

come to the stratocaster lovers thread!

lies! that is not my opinion, i love my baby (i have to, it will kill me if i dont ) o no, i think i heard my guitar case open! >> << RUN, GET A FENDER WHILE YOU STILL CAN, EPI WILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!

edit: i should mention i got a les paul cause its best for the style of music i play, personally i love it for what i play, when when i try to jam, well..... sometimes it just fails , ill never get the nirvana sound quite right with it, exc exc + i got it cause my guitar hero/idol plays it (jimmy page)
Last edited by fender1618 at Jul 8, 2007,
whammy bars designed to bend down and down only can be used with heavy enough strings to bend up(though it does cause tuning problems).
anyway i personally reccomend an Epipone ES-295, if you can find one on sale. it has a whammy bar in the form of a bigsby trem, which bends up and down further than you conventional strat trem. but otherwise i recomend a squire strat. or if you're lucky enough to find a used danelectro DEFINITLY buy it i don't care how much it costs its worth every penny. i used a 61 les paul/sg(priced at over $40000) for recording my bands first cd. i later bought a 56 danelectro for $430 and it is far more versatile than the gibson and is in my oppinion far supperior to any guitar on the market
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
in our opinion meaning in the *stratocaster lovers'* opinion. so go to the thread and express urself
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Damn I don't understand people.

Now I may not be very smart, but seriously, why would you spend as much on pickups as on a guitar? The guitar is the lowest of the low Epiphone models. It's probably made out of pallet scraps and small Cambodian children - I don't think dropping Burstbuckers or anything in it will help. It's like putting spinners on a minivan - WHY? Pickups won't change the fact that the tonewood, neck, and tuners are relative ****. I'm all for thrifty but Epiphones aren't the most economical models (unless you go to the Elitist series) and spending anything more than $50 to upgrade it seems like a waste.

As for the Schecter Omen 6 guy - I dunno how you get away thinking an HH Shecter is more versatile than a guitar with a more diverse pickup scheme. It doesn't even have coil tap - that limits you a lot. Not to say it won't work, but honestly, I dunno how you can call it a better choice than something more well-equipped. I played an Ibanez RG2EX1 and for the same price I like it better than the Schecter anyway.

And last I checked even Fender trems have greater range than Bigsbys. My friend has an ES series Gibson (single cutaway one - can't remember what model) and the Bigsby is for relatively light vibrato.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Jul 8, 2007,
Quote by fender1618
lies! that is not my opinion, i love my baby (i have to, it will kill me if i dont ) o no, i think i heard my guitar case open! >> << RUN, GET A FENDER WHILE YOU STILL CAN, EPI WILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!

edit: i should mention i got a les paul cause its best for the style of music i play, personally i love it for what i play, when when i try to jam, well..... sometimes it just fails , ill never get the nirvana sound quite right with it, exc exc + i got it cause my guitar hero/idol plays it (jimmy page)

you see you got to buy a fender first then an epiphone. that way the fender can protect you thats what i did
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
i would rather get a Gibson first then a fender... fat neck to skinny necks. better transition. i hate it right now... got a fender, stuck with fender, now i can't play gibson style necks. anybody know a Les Paul that has skinnier necks closer to Fender necks?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by halfback_712
It really isn't much of a les paul...trust me. It came in a starter pack lol.
You really don't know how great the LP Special 2 is.
Quote by FRDesign
You really don't know how great the LP Special 2 is.

I've been told it sucks.